Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Battlefield 1942 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battlefield 1942 anyone?

So, thoughts and opinions on this game?

I'm downloading it now very slowly, but I can't wait to try this game, it looks fantastic and offers things that America's Army doesn't offer.
Old 08-16-02, 01:58 PM

I've played the single-player beta a little bit. It seems like there is a lot of potential there. The ability to jump into any vehicle and use it is a nice feature. It will be more fun to play the multi-player beta against others. Of course, I love any game set in WWII. Have you tried the Day of Defeat mod for Half-Life? I would highly recommend it.
Old 08-16-02, 02:44 PM

Yeah, Day of Defeat pretty much rocks my world and flots my boat. Battlefield 1942 looks great but feels too much like a Deathmatch killfest. Of course, I'll save my final evaluation for the multiplayer demo.
Old 08-16-02, 02:57 PM

I am talking about multiplayer... its been out since 5 hours or so ago
Old 08-16-02, 05:50 PM

Ok, I will give an update now that I have figured it out.

I would give the game an 8.0 out of 10 because of the addiction factor. It doesn't really work like a regular shooter since you can respawn when you die, but it makes for a long game. If it's not timed, the game can last 30 minutes or more easily. It's actually quite fun but it takes getting used to everything... driving can be a hassle, flying a plane isn't easy (I'm almost to the point of getting off the ground, but I rammed my plane in a house...). The hardest part, which they should really change is the weapons... I mean you can run around and empty 4 clips in a guy with him doing the same from 5 feet away and both will live... there doesn't seem to be much of a trick to shooting, but it's just bloody impossible (on 8 rounds from a handgun when actually standing on a guy who is crawling away from you, about 2 will hit with 6 missing).

Even with that though, the game is a lot of fun, nothing beats the 'thud' when you run over and opponent and when you're waiting to respawn, you can look around and you see hilarious things like corpses being dragged around, planed colliding in mid-air, running into houses, etc...

Bear in mind, the game does not require particular patience like in America's Army... there is no such thing as camping and it's just really a huge deathmatch. It might be different on maps not in the demo, but the one you play is a conquest map where you have to get 5 points and it's an island so people can come at you from every side.

It's well worth getting the demo to try it out, EA has around 50 servers, maybe more with a total of 500 or so with over 3000 players.

Last edited by Feneant; 08-17-02 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-20-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
I played the first time on a pretty crappy server and it soured my experience. I tried again and got on a good one and played for about 4 hours straight.

This game is just crazy fun. I think with a "clan" and some real teamwork, you could have a great time with it.

I suck at flying the planes too. I am going to try setting the plane controls up with my joystick to make it a little easier.

But laying landmines on the bridge and waiting for enemy jeeps to drive over makes up for ANY shortcomings
Old 08-21-02, 12:44 AM

The Battlefield 1942 MP demo is actually pretty fun. I don't think it will last too long in popularity but crashing planes into ships, and running over people with jeeps was fairly amusing. Oh well, this will keep my interest till UT2k3 is finally out
Old 08-22-02, 09:27 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Anyone know where I can dl this fast without becoming a paying subscriber? I've got a fast DSL connection here at work and after 4 hours I was at 36% I'm giving up for today and until I get back in on Sunday
Old 08-22-02, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Feneant
It doesn't really work like a regular shooter since you can respawn when you die
Wow, I've been out of the multiplayer loop for a while if that's not the norm anymore.

dek: http://www.fileshack.com

I get 150 KB/s constant.
Old 08-25-02, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
wow, the game is great. got a taste of it and man, it's addicting. the plane flying gets about 5 minutes total to get used to. it's pure fun in Multiplayer mode and hell of a great game.
Old 08-25-02, 10:10 AM

Fun or not, I don't know if I will be buying it right away. The stability is about nil I find here.... I can't stay on a server for more than 20-30 minutes because I either crash, the game shuts down or the server boots me... I was just playing and kicking massive a**, I was at about 15 points with 0 deaths and wreaking total havoc on the axies with my sherman, but all of a sudden... game shuts down on me... I mean wtf was that all about! Earlier this morning, I was playing and having a great time, our team won 2 major/total victories in a row and then the game shut down on me... hello? What is with that, I would love to play without constant shut downs or crashes here.
Old 08-25-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just play on the official EA servers, and it runs pretty well. I was on for about 5 hours on Friday with only one crash.
Old 08-25-02, 12:24 PM

I'm really enjoying this game but it seems to lock-up on me after twenty minutes or so. I haven't been playing on EA's servers though because they always seem to be full, so that may be my problem. Anybody else get lock-ups?
Old 08-25-02, 01:17 PM

No lockups here, but I was on an EA server and after 2 rounds, the game closed back to desktop.

It's so easy when you figure out how to use your weapons... I had a gold and silver metal (both on my team suffering major losses mind you). You can just run right to people since 90% of them fire full auto and shoot anywhere but on you... I walk up and with a couple of short bursts, easy killin'.
Old 08-25-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Feneant
Fun or not, I don't know if I will be buying it right away. The stability is about nil I find here.... I can't stay on a server for more than 20-30 minutes because I either crash, the game shuts down or the server boots me... I was just playing and kicking massive a**, I was at about 15 points with 0 deaths and wreaking total havoc on the axies with my sherman, but all of a sudden... game shuts down on me... I mean wtf was that all about! Earlier this morning, I was playing and having a great time, our team won 2 major/total victories in a row and then the game shut down on me... hello? What is with that, I would love to play without constant shut downs or crashes here.
It's called a demo for a reason, they are of course fixing bugs and I'm sure beta testers are still at work. When the game comes out, I'm sure it will be fixed up much more so that servers can stay up.

Also note, it might just be the servers problems. and also depending on how many people are on the server. it takes a massive amount of computer power to run bigger games.
Old 08-27-02, 12:57 AM

Yeah the demo is iffy latency and hit detection wise, but for the most part the ambitious concept was pulled off well, and when you find a server with a population that is mostly people who know what they are doing, it amounts to some of my most favorite gaming experiences in past years.