Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Apt Pupil

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apt Pupil

Does anyone have the UK edition of this. I'm seeing conflicting specs on whether its anamorphic. Can someone confirm that it is please. DVDcompair says it is but only 1 of three british sites I*ve check list the specs as anamorphic.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-14-02, 01:37 PM

Here's an actual review of the UK DVD which states it is indeed anamorphic.

http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=1557
Old 08-14-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by codefree
Here's an actual review of the UK DVD which states it is indeed anamorphic.

http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=1557
Excellent. I just ordered it.

I was having problem searching on that site. Is there a review for Last Temptation of Christ? I wonder how that one is. Zone 2 of course. I'm sure the Criterion one is great though I did here about problems with the disc.

Anyway, Apt Pupil is on the way!
Thanks again
Jim
Old 08-14-02, 01:56 PM

They don't have a review of LTOC but here's a full list of what UK reviews they do have: http://www.r2-dvd.org/reviews.jsp
Old 08-17-02, 06:20 PM

Faustb, I notice you've already ordered the UK Apt Pupil so I reluctantly have to say that the US release really is the release to get hold of. It has the anamorphic version and the full frame on either side of a single DVD. The US release, like the Harry Potter widescreen/fullscreen editions, is a good example of what you can lose on the widescreen version (I have to add that I'm an advocate of widescreen but...). Check out the beginning in the school classroom blackboard: the fullframe shows the board adorned with cards which is completely lost on the widescreen version. This type of thing happens throughout the movie. Having said all this, the widescreen version, which coincidentally I've just watched, does "look right". Go figure.
Old 08-18-02, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi del bosque, thanks for the comments. Well, I probably would have got the zone 2 anyway, because the price was just insanely low. I*m more interested in the widescreen version anyway as this is theatrical OAR.

Though I prefer Theatrical OAR I do like to see open matted versions of movies if they are available. Though I*d probably never sit down and watch the entire open matted print of a movie I have in widescreen, I do like to check out some scenes to see what else was in the directors frame at the time of filming. (if I recall, the Usual Suspects is like this. The open mat is ok but not as visually stunning. Its interesting to check it out scene by scene, in contrast my copy of the Outsiders has both an OAR and a Pan & Scan. If you compair these two scene by scene, you will see what you are losing with the edited version).

Of course some directors I would imagine keep both aspect ratios in mine with the assumption that the open matted version would end up on VHS: I wonder if that will change in the future.

Incidently, I do have a 16:9 television so the widescreen version will look just ducky anyway :-)

I think its important to understand the difference between open matted and pan & scan. Two very different things. Open matted, you gain image, pan & scan you lose image (in its simplest form).

My feelings... I'm pretty much an OAR guy (no edits), I can enjoy an open matted film very easily, providing part of the films allure is not the framing of the movie (see Snow falling on cedars for an example where every inch of frame is poetry), pan and scan, well thats just an industry butchering of a film. Not interested :-)

Thanks again!, Hoping my disc is here tomorrow!