Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Did Netflix improve their supply of DVDs?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-02, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked Netflix today and about 90% of the DVDs in my rental queue are available now. Usually it runs less than 40%. Did they add more DVDS to their stock or is it just a mistake?
Old 08-11-02, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just joined Netflix last month and it always seems that 95% of my list is available now.

I finally joined because Netflix opened a distribution facility here in Michigan which allows me to get a much faster turn-around.

They opened up a bunch of distribution centers around the country so maybe that's why they have better stock.
Old 08-12-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
I just joined Netflix last month and it always seems that 95% of my list is available now.

Just wait a few months, your percentage will undoubtably drop to less than 20%. When I first signed up, everything was in stock. Now almost everything on my list is a wait. Very frustrating, and I'm very close to canceling.
Old 08-12-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
What kindof movies are in your queues? about 87% of mine are available
Old 08-12-02, 03:47 PM

Well, it looks like it was a mistake, because now my rental queue is back to less than 40% available.
Old 08-12-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The weird thing is I had a movie that was listed as "Long Wait" as my #1 pick and it ended up shipping anyway even though it still said "Long Wait.".

I currently have 119 titles in my quue and only 10 aren't available now:

Sabrina
Classics UR Short Wait

The Way We Were
Drama PG Short Wait

The Newton Boys
Action & Adventure PG-13 Short Wait

MTV: The Real World You Never Saw: Chicago
Special Interest NR Very Long
Wait

Forbidden Planet
Sci-Fi & Fantasy UR Long Wait &
Out of Print

Adam's Rib
Comedy UR Very Long
Wait &
Out of Print

Nosferatu the Vampire
Foreign NR Very Long
Wait

MTV: The Real World You Never Saw: Hawaii
Special Interest NR Very Long
Wait

The Craft
Horror R Very Long
Wait

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Classics UR Very Long
Wait

What I don't understand is Netflix has these two titles listed as "Out of Print" yet they are both available in 24 hours from Amazon.com. If they needed to buy more copies they could easily obtain them.
Old 08-12-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a few movies that say that are OOP. The thing is that Netflix only gets one version of the film even thoug many were released. Sometimes the version that Netflix gets goes OOP as is the case with Singing In Rain (which I have in my queue) and Born On The Fourth Of July (Also on my list)
Old 08-13-02, 11:08 AM

My short queue: A mix of old & new releases, none of which are available. I'm curious if any of these show available for anyone else.

Black Hawk Down
Short Wait

A Beautiful Mind
Long Wait

Gosford Park
Long Wait

Depeche Mode: The Videos '86-'98
Very Long wait & Out of Print

Return to Never Land
Releases on DVD Aug 20, 2002

On the Waterfront
Short Wait

Kate & Leopold
Short Wait

The Wild One
Short Wait

Always
Long Wait

Shallow Hal
Short Wait

Birdman of Alcatraz
Short Wait
Old 08-13-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're probably not going to like this:

I added all those movies to my queue and with the exception of Return to Never Land (which has notyet been released) and the Depeche Mode (it was listed as unavailable and wouldn't let me add it to my queue)-- all those titles came up for me as "Available Now".

Do you know what distribution facility you use? Mine is Lansing, Michigan which is brand new. The only thing I can think of is maybe the newer dist. facilties have more DVDs.

Last edited by Jadzia; 08-13-02 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-13-02, 12:53 PM

You might be right that the new distribution centers have more supply. I'm getting mine from San Jose, CA. The only reason I'm still using Netflix is because of the quick turnaround time, I can send them back on Monday and get new ones on Wednesday.
Old 08-14-02, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by Jadzia
You're probably not going to like this:

I added all those movies to my queue and with the exception of Return to Never Land (which has notyet been released) and the Depeche Mode (it was listed as unavailable and wouldn't let me add it to my queue)-- all those titles came up for me as "Available Now".

Do you know what distribution facility you use? Mine is Lansing, Michigan which is brand new. The only thing I can think of is maybe the newer dist. facilties have more DVDs.
I kinda figured those titles would be available for someone else. How long have you been a member? I assume only a couple months.
A majority of my inventory comes from Santa Ana, CA, though I think a few titles, especially new releases come from their main hub in San Jose since those take 2 days to deliver as opposed to the 1 day from Santa Ana.
Saying one warehouse has better stock than another is really a poor excuse. If one warehouse has such great inventory, and another makes you wait 2+ months for a popular new release, don't you think they should either spread out their inventory, or actually ship from a different warehouse?
Old 08-15-02, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Movie_Man

Just wait a few months, your percentage will undoubtably drop to less than 20%. When I first signed up, everything was in stock. Now almost everything on my list is a wait. Very frustrating, and I'm very close to canceling.

Same here. I have about 80 movies in my list and about 15% are availaible. WTH?
Old 08-15-02, 01:57 PM

I get mine from the Santa Ana dist. center and always get new releases and have never seen a wait for any movie I've put in my queue.
Old 08-17-02, 11:16 PM

I've been a member for about 5 months now, and haven't had any unreasonable problems with delays, except that almost all of the Farscape discs in my queue are either Long Wait or Very Long Wait. My dvds ship out of the Houston warehouse.