Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Projectors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Projectors?

In the future I am going to be purchasing a projector for my home theater. I would like some info on some models/ prices. I have gotten the bug and I have even considered working a second job just to buy this and quit after I get it.

Any help would be appretiated.\

Shadow
Old 08-05-02, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this week is the 1 year anniversary of my (first) PJ purchase.
Dell computer had mispriced the NEC LT150.
8 months earlier it had retailed for over $5000, but i, and a few hundred other lucky devils were able to get it for a little over $1800 or less.
there was even a promotion at the time for a free leather travel bag (nice one too!).

i love my pj. it's really hard to watch movies any other way now. i don't even enjoy going out to the movies anymore.

you'll find, depending on your budget and expertise that the choices will most likely come down to:
DLP
LCD
or CRT
there is also D'ila, but thats kind of pricey.

you can get your foot in the door with any of the above technologies for about $2000 (CRT would be used though).

concensus seems to be;
crt gives the best picture, but is difficult and time consuming/expensive to have calibrated, which i think needs to be done yearly at least.
LCD's usally offer good colors, but can look digital because of the visibility of pixels on the screen. also, the darker portions of the image may look a little washed out
DLP usually has better rendition of darker areas, although not as strong with colors. there are also problems for some people due to the way the image is 'put together'. gives some people headaches.

these are just general descriptions. the technology is constantly getting better, and improvements being made all the time.

i wouldn't recommend a crt as they weigh a ton and need high mantinece to produce the best pic.
what i own is a dlp, i love it and think it compares favorably to HT projectors costing 7 x's as much, but its not for everybody.
LCD is very popular and worth investigating.

i can't really give you too much help with model numbers.
they replaced the pj i have with the LT150z, which adds a zoom lens.
i love mine and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who isn't bothered by the DLP issues.

your best bet is to hang out at www.AVSforum.com and go to the under $5000 digital projector area.
read, search and ask questions there.
thats where i ran across the deal from dell.

can't stress enough how wonderful it is to watch a movie on the wall.
you will also be amazed at how well a good, well mastered dvd can look at 7' wide!
Old 08-05-02, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's your projected budget and how much ambient lighting will your theater room have?
Old 08-05-02, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
My budget will be about 2500(area) for .the projector and a screen. Lighting is subject to the projectors needs. I am talking future so I know prices and technology will change. But I am trying to get a feel for it now so when it comes time I will be ready for my purchase.

Shadow
Old 08-05-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pricejapan.com will import a panasonic th-ae100 for $1432 shipped. There is a huge markup on projectors in america so you would be hard pressed to find a projector that good for that price.
Old 08-05-02, 10:42 PM

You might want to check out the Sharp NoteVision PG-M20X for just over your budget ($2700 or so).

XGA native, input compatible up to 1080i or UXGA
New 12 degree DMD chip
3x Colorwheel
1.2:1 zoom lens
1000:1 on/off contrast, 800:1 ANSI contrast
1900 ANSI lumens
5.8 lbs
DVI input, available VGA, S-Vid, Composite

Specs

Last edited by gotapex; 08-05-02 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-06-02, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another bargain pj to consider is the Panasonic PT-LC75U. This XGA resolution LCD unit has 1200 Lumens, is HDTV compatible, and is in your price range.

Many great new models are just coming out. I would wait until you are ready to buy to decide on a model. www.projectorcentral.com is currently reviewing some new inexpensive models including the above mentioned Sharp PG-M20X. They should have a batch of reviews available by the end of the month.
Old 08-08-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to clarify. All you would do is throw a dvd in the projector right? It would play the disc and project the image onto a screen...??

Thanks!
Old 08-08-02, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by boobietheclown
Just to clarify. All you would do is throw a dvd in the projector right? It would play the disc and project the image onto a screen...??

Thanks!
NO this is just a monitor and you would still need a source and a sound system.
Old 08-08-02, 06:08 PM

Just watched LoTR yesterday on my projector (small 80" screen). Man, that's an amazing movie.
Old 08-09-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bfrank

NO this is just a monitor and you would still need a source and a sound system.
Ok so I would have to plug my dvd into the projector...and so on...

I see. I wish I had a couple extra grand.

Old 08-09-02, 10:15 AM

ckolchak,

Since you are in the Chicago area, please join our ChicagoLand HT group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Chicag...?yguid=7566258
Old 08-09-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
How does non-DVD material look on these things? Just "regular" TV viewing, via DirecTv and the like. Also, I assume picture quality will suffer greatly in a room with somewhat large windows? A room sort of like this:

Note: the speakers have been upgraded significantly since the picture, but there are still speaker wires on the ground and the room is still the same size :-)
Old 08-09-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like someone else is from the dfw area!

Howdy
Old 08-09-02, 02:58 PM

Picture quality on regular NTSC video is not great, though I find it watchable. Not everyone does. Just extrapolate the size from your current setup.

You are correct however, ambient light will absolutely kill the contrast. The darkest black can only be as dark as the lowest level of light hitting the screen, which is not very low when you have sunlight.