Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

OH, GOD! dvd

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-02, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OH, GOD! dvd

Really nice transfer of this 1977 movie.
Colors and picture look like it was made today.
I still don't understand how come CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3RD KIND dvd also from 1977 couldn't look this good.
Old 08-05-02, 12:33 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought CE3K looked pretty darn good. The problem was the kinds of effects used for that movie....there is a lot of grain inherent in the process. I think they may have done the best they could. Oh well....
Old 08-07-02, 02:08 AM
Banned

No way!
When a movie like 1930's SNOW WHITE and 1959's NORTH BY NORTWEST can look they way they look on dvd. CEOT3K should have been given the same treatment.
I'm talking stunning, no grain is how it should have looked.
Old 08-07-02, 03:13 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by wm lopez
No way!
When a movie like 1930's SNOW WHITE and 1959's NORTH BY NORTWEST can look they way they look on dvd. CEOT3K should have been given the same treatment.
I'm talking stunning, no grain is how it should have looked.
Way!

Actually, what kind of transfer they're able to come up with is heavily dependent on the condition of the source materials.

Film preservation has only reletively recently become important to the studios (and even now, it's not as big a concern as it should be). The original prints of many (if not most) old films have deteriorated to the point where they'll never look like new again.

Disney, whatever else you want to say about them, has a long history of taking good care of their film stock. North by Northwest is also something of a special case.

The Digital Bits recently started a new series of pieces about film preservation by Robert Harris, a well respected film historian, preservationist and producer. You should check out his columns if you want to see how fragile some of this stuff actually can be: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...ris/index.html

-David
Old 08-08-02, 12:43 PM
Banned

GODFATHER, CEOT3K, should be movies that are spent the time and effort to remove grain, white specs and adjust the color to every frame. If they can do it to HALLOWEEN, SUPERMAN they can do it to those 2.