Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Mark of Kri": Looks like it's time to dust off the PS2 again !!!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Picked this game up yesterday... and it kicks some serious ass! The button setup for battles is a little different than I'm use to in these types of games, but once you get it down... it comes second nature.

* Looks like an animated Disney cartoon, but have violence beyond belief! All the characters were hand drawn/animated... and boy does it show.

* Another great selling point is that this is the first in house Sony game to come out at their new $39.99 price point. If they keep this up, I see myself spending some more $$$ their direction.

Glad I just finished 'halo' last week... because I think this game will be taking up most of my free time.

-k
###

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 08-03-02 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-03-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't let ScandalUMD in this thread - he thinks the game is terrible and that it only got a good score because the game web sites wanted continued access to sony and don't want to offend them. He has been ripping it for weeks. Of course he has never played the game.

I am happy to hear you like it - i think i might pick up a copy.
Old 08-03-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I love this game as well. My friend bought it and I wish I would have spent my $40 on it instead of Crazy Taxi 3, but I will pick up Kri eventually. We played it for a couple of hours and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

I love the mix of stealth and using the bird to help see the enemies. The battle system is brilliant and I love all the combos you can pull off. The way you finish off enemies is great too.

Sony has their next hit with this game.
Old 08-03-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool, I'm seriously thinking about this game as well. Wal-Mart has it for $39.99 but Target has it for $49.99?? Again my business will go to Wal-Mart. Way to go Target! Anyway, Extended Play gave it a good review, 4 outta 5 stars. Plus they featured it on The Screen Savers which they don't do very often. Guess I'll take a ride and pick it up tommorow.
Old 08-03-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have actually played the game, and it's incredibly average. What disgusts me about it is that Sony declared it "AAA" at E3, and put some PR weight behind it, and the "gaming press" lauded it as the second coming of Link.

They handled it gingerly in the reviews, though the message came across that the game is fairly forgettable.

I'm not disgusted with the game. It's just another average beat-em-up. I'm disgusted with the fact that the "gaming press" serves as a PR source for developers rather than a consumer resource for gamers.
Old 08-03-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ScandalUMD
I have actually played the game, and it's incredibly average. . . . . .
Looks like opinions vary... no matter, I'm really enjoying the game and that's what really matters!

can't please everyone.

-k
###
Old 08-03-02, 05:19 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by Keyser Soze

can't please everyone.
Old 08-03-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked this up today. I'm not far into it, but it looks good so far. Nothing spectacular, but so far, so good. Enclave is going back Monday, but I think I'll hold onto this one.
Old 08-03-02, 05:39 PM

I am thoroughly enjoying this game, and from what I've seen from players around the net, most everybody else is too. My enjoyment of games has very little to do with reviews and possible marketing conspiracys.

Buy it!!!
Old 08-03-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wait, so this game isn't a steaming pile of crap!?!
Old 08-03-02, 06:35 PM
Shawn

....steaming pile of crap!?!
Old 08-03-02, 07:24 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by ten41
Don't let ScandalUMD in this thread - he thinks the game is terrible and that it only got a good score because the game web sites wanted continued access to sony and don't want to offend them. He has been ripping it for weeks. Of course he has never played the game.

I am happy to hear you like it - i think i might pick up a copy.
Gee, you don't say. Mr "If it isn't Nintendo, it must be crap" has something bad to say about a PS2 game?

I might just pick it up soon as well.

PS - Keyser - email me
Old 08-03-02, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dek

Gee, you don't say. Mr "If it isn't Nintendo, it must be crap" has something bad to say about a PS2 game?

PS - Keyser - email me
maybe he used to work and write reviews for Game Informer mag?
Old 08-03-02, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I read the reviews and they were extremely favorable. This one came in under the radar, in terms of the marketing behind it. I haven't seen anything on this game, other than the review. Sony is probably hoping on word of mouth to carry the sales.
Old 08-03-02, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones17
I read the reviews and they were extremely favorable. This one came in under the radar, in terms of the marketing behind it. I haven't seen anything on this game, other than the review. Sony is probably hoping on word of mouth to carry the sales.
I agree, I read very little about this game and never heard it called a AAA game or the next Link. The only reviews I read called it a very good game, but none of the reviews were on the level with a Grand Theft Auto 3 or Mario 64. Having played the game it has lived up to good reviews, because it is a very good game. If anything Sony should be marketing this game and they are not. I haven't seen one commercial for it and the Summer Playstation Underground mailer barely mentioned it.
Old 08-03-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the developers has been posting on the Mark of Kri board over at gamefaqs.com. I *think* I read a post from him saying to watch out for a MoK commercial. The usual places, IIRC, MTV, Comedy Central, etc.
Old 08-03-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dek

I might just pick it up soon as well.

PS - Keyser - email me
I've had a PS2 since launch. I waited in line for it.
Old 08-03-02, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Almost all reviews for console games are pretty favorable. Mark of Kri got between 7 and 8 from most reviewers with a high score from IGN. It's 6 hours long and unremarkable.

Sony leaned on the internet press, and they slavered over the game. If anyone gets Gamespot complete, you can check their E3 preview. it's appalling.
Old 08-03-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Almost all reviews for console games are pretty favorable. Mark of Kri got between 7 and 8 from most reviewers with a high score from IGN. It's 6 hours long and unremarkable.

Sony leaned on the internet press, and they slavered over the game. If anyone gets Gamespot complete, you can check their E3 preview. it's appalling.
what planet are you from? For every positive review for a game, I could give you 2 games w/ crappy reviews.
Old 08-03-02, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what planet are you from? For every positive review for a game, I could give you 2 games w/ crappy reviews.
The bad reviews are marginal games from marginal publishers. Some very unremarkable games get in the 7.5-8.5 range at Gamespot and especially IGN all the time.

Anything from EA or Sony will get a 7.5. Eternal Darkness was rated much higher than it should have been because all the sites are trying to curry favor with Nintendo.

A 7.5 is not a good game. Games cost $50, and they need to be worth it. I don't want to endure them, I want to enjoy them.

Gamespy best described this game as "not the best value for your money." But the Sony PR machine still got "Mark of Kri" week from them, and their review let the game down pretty easy. Sony definitely had them emphasizing the good points and playing down the weaknesses, which is exactly what consumer resources should not do.

Instead, they should be saying "This is an adequate beat-em-up, but it's short with little replayability. We're expecting Devil May Cry 2 to be much better than this, so you might want to save your money."

That's what they'd say if their interest was in providing consumers a resource so they can make informed purchases. Instead, they're feeding us sales pitches.

The PS2 will have 1200 games made over the course of its lifespan. At least 900 of those will be games nobody should buy. So why are two thirds of the games above the 7 mark?

They should be writing for the gamer on a budget, who buys somewhere between 4 and 10 games a year. 10 games, actually, is pretty hardcore. And there will be ten games this year that are better than Mark of Kri.
Old 08-03-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The bad reviews are marginal games from marginal publishers. Some very unremarkable games get in the 7.5-8.5 range at Gamespot and especially IGN all the time.

Anything from EA or Sony will get a 7.5. Eternal Darkness was rated much higher than it should have been because all the sites are trying to curry favor with Nintendo.

A 7.5 is not a good game. Games cost $50, and they need to be worth it. I don't want to endure them, I want to enjoy them.

Gamespy best described this game as "not the best value for your money." But the Sony PR machine still got "Mark of Kri" week from them, and their review let the game down pretty easy. Sony definitely had them emphasizing the good points and playing down the weaknesses, which is exactly what consumer resources should not do.

Instead, they should be saying "This is an adequate beat-em-up, but it's short with little replayability. We're expecting Devil May Cry 2 to be much better than this, so you might want to save your money."

That's what they'd say if their interest was in providing consumers a resource so they can make informed purchases. Instead, they're feeding us sales pitches.

The PS2 will have 1200 games made over the course of its lifespan. At least 900 of those will be games nobody should buy. So why are two thirds of the games above the 7 mark?

They should be writing for the gamer on a budget, who buys somewhere between 4 and 10 games a year. 10 games, actually, is pretty hardcore. And there will be ten games this year that are better than Mark of Kri.
so let me see. You don't like it. and a bunch of people here do. The eleventh best game released this year still sounds like it is a great game

great. Maybe everyone will agree to disagree and move on. Your opinion that the game is not good is no more important than a number of people who really like the game and have played it.

people can decide who they want to listen to. Ireally do not think it is a conspiracy. Maybe different people just happen to like different games. I am sure many would not like this game. However I bet as indicated here that many will like this one.

The $39.99 price is also good. At least they are not charging more for it.

Keyser I will get this game since it seems that you think it is good
Old 08-03-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk God

So did Lee Harvey Oswald really shoot JFK? Man, if that above post wasn't full of conspiracy theory, I don't know what is.
Old 08-03-02, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So did Lee Harvey Oswald really shoot JFK? Man, if that above post wasn't full of conspiracy theory, I don't know what is.
It's nothing to do with conspiracy. It's the entire culture of game "journalism." The game press schmoozes with the developers. The developers throw big parties at all the shows, and give free booze to the gaming press.

There was a post a couple of months ago about how developers paid for expensive junkets for members of the press as a promotion for the games.

And as a result, the games get talked up on the websites. Who here has never been caught up in the hype for some game they wouldn't have bought otherwise, and ended up disappointed?

We've all got a Daikatana, or an Oni, or a Bouncer someplace, and it's the fault of these websites who have no sense of duty to their readers. I'm not talking shady payoffs and quid-pro-quos. This stuff is right out in the open.
Old 08-03-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gcribbs
I really do not think it is a conspiracy. . . .

The $39.99 price is also good. At least they are not charging more for it.

Keyser I will get this game since it seems that you think it is good
I have to come clean with all you guys... I actually work for Sony, and have been trolling this board since Jan. of 2000, knowing that this game was in development. I have used the past 2+ years to gain your trust... knowing that one day... I would come here and post how much I loved this game.

I can't take it anymore... I need to come clean. I'm sorry, but I've wasted the last 2+ years of my life posting here... just for this moment.

I tried to keep it a secret... but it's eating me alive. I must be honest with you... my fellow gamers.

gcribbs.... it is a conspiracy. I'm so sorry.

Don't hate me... I meant no harm.

(but please go out and buy this game... I have a mortgage to pay) *sniff*

-keyser "CEO Playstation N. Cal Location" soze
###
Old 08-03-02, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk God

It's nothing to do with conspiracy. It's the entire culture of game "journalism." The game press schmoozes with the developers. The developers throw big parties at all the shows, and give free booze to the gaming press.

There was a post a couple of months ago about how developers paid for expensive junkets for members of the press as a promotion for the games.

And as a result, the games get talked up on the websites. Who here has never been caught up in the hype for some game they wouldn't have bought otherwise, and ended up disappointed?

We've all got a Daikatana, or an Oni, or a Bouncer someplace, and it's the fault of these websites who have no sense of duty to their readers. I'm not talking shady payoffs and quid-pro-quos. This stuff is right out in the open.
I've yet to read one positive review of Daikatana, Oni or The Bouncer. Please, enlighten me with such things. I know most people stayed away from those games because of those reivews from those very places you speak of.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.