Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Lost My BB Receipt..Yikes!!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.....I make a habit of keeping my DVD receipts. So it figures that when I get a defective DVD I find that THAT receipt has been lost

Does anyone know a way for me to return the DVD

BTW: I paid cash so there's no CC record either
Old 07-31-02, 03:21 PM

If it's defective you should be able to swap it out without a receipt. It just gets returned by the store to the distributer.
Old 07-31-02, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by J-Dubya
If it's defective you should be able to swap it out without a receipt. It just gets returned by the store to the distributer.
I called them and they refused. The CSR said that they don't get $ back for defective discs. It sounds like a lie to me......

Anyway......The thing that gets me is that I have always saved receipts.....But I had to loose this one

BTW: I'm in that store at least 4 times a week buying DVDs, yet they wouldn't make an exception. That has me a bit mad, although it's my fault for having lost the receipt.
Old 07-31-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the Boondock Saints from DDD and the disc was defective. Rather than deal with return shipping etc. I called Circuit City and explained the situation - they had no problem at all exchanging the defective disc for a new one. I don't really see why BB wouldn't take it back, maybe you just got an employee with an attitude problem, but that's why I don't shop at BB anymore.
Old 07-31-02, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Vampyr

I called them and they refused. The CSR said that they don't get $ back for defective discs. It sounds like a lie to me......

Anyway......The thing that gets me is that I have always saved receipts.....But I had to loose this one

BTW: I'm in that store at least 4 times a week buying DVDs, yet they wouldn't make an exception. That has me a bit mad, although it's my fault for having lost the receipt.
Go in there and talk to the manager. Show him your disc and explain the problem. Perhaps he/she will pull one from the shelves and open & test it on site for you.
Old 07-31-02, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by e_hartnett
I bought the Boondock Saints from DDD and the disc was defective. Rather than deal with return shipping etc. I called Circuit City and explained the situation - they had no problem at all exchanging the defective disc for a new one. I don't really see why BB wouldn't take it back, maybe you just got an employee with an attitude problem, but that's why I don't shop at BB anymore.
Thanks for the idea I had a talk with a woman at The Wiz and she gladly took the disc I'm back already with the new dic and another DVD (Gone With The Wind ~ Which I can't believe took me this long to buy).

You were a big help....Thanks again.

J-Dubya ~ Thank you for trying to help also

BTW: My local BB is really the pits when it comes to the employees. I've had other problems with them in the past.......Not to mention the fact that they always misplace their DVDs. I'm talking about having dramas in the comedy section, etc...(I'm not talking about one or two moved my inconsiderate customers, but their entire stocks of certain movies).

Anyway......It's all over and now I can just take my business elsewhere........Like my local Wiz.
Old 07-31-02, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
My local BB is really the pits when it comes to the employees.
Oh, so you live near the BB in [anyplace in the USA] too?

Anyway...It's all over and now I can just take ...a... Wiz.
Hey kids! Quoting can be fun!
Old 07-31-02, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Dimension X
Hey kids! Quoting can be fun!

Anyway...It's all over and now I can just take ...a... Wiz.
Old 07-31-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh, no they don't give cash back for defective items. For that matter, who does? Maybe a small independent store MIGHT, but a chain like Blockbuster or Best Buy will only let you change it for the same item. It only makes sense.

Also, four times a week doesn't mean squat to their auditors, who check to make sure they do things properly, such as issue refunds without reciepts would get them a bad score in that area of their audit. And they should risk that for you for what reason? Oh, you're in there 4 times a week. Which doesn't mean squat to an auditor, and thus the store manager should not be obligated to bend a rule for you that anybody else should be asked to follow. A better question would be why do you think you should be an exception to the rule, outside of the fact you are a regular customer?
Old 07-31-02, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by calhoun07

Uh, no they don't give cash back for defective items. For that matter, who does? Maybe a small independent store MIGHT, but a chain like Blockbuster or Best Buy will only let you change it for the same item. It only makes sense.

Also, four times a week doesn't mean squat to their auditors, who check to make sure they do things properly, such as issue refunds without reciepts would get them a bad score in that area of their audit. And they should risk that for you for what reason? Oh, you're in there 4 times a week. Which doesn't mean squat to an auditor, and thus the store manager should not be obligated to bend a rule for you that anybody else should be asked to follow. A better question would be why do you think you should be an exception to the rule, outside of the fact you are a regular customer?
I think you read it wrong.......i didn't want money back....I wanted a replacement of the same exact movie..........What I wrote was the following:

The CSR said that they don't get $ back for defective discs. fom the distributor (which is a lie).......And yes......When you are a very good customer they should make a small exception and take it back without a receipt.......Every employee in that store knows me. They see me all week. In fact, many of them come over to me and ask what's on my list for the day........It's not like I'm trying to cheat them. All I wanted was a replacement for a disc which didn't work........

At least the Wiz took it, knowing that I didn't even buy it in their store. If they can take a disc I bought at BB for an even exchange, I would expect that BB could do so with something I bought from them directly.
Old 08-01-02, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's why they say BB sucks! I've taken DVD's and other things back to CC one or two days after their normal return period with no problems. Try taking something back to BB after 30 days and see what happens. Thankfully I've met a manager who calls me the DVD Guy every time she sees me enter the store so it has paid off having a manager who seems like me and appreciates my business.
Old 08-01-02, 05:16 AM

why don't u buy a new one and then used this receipt to exchange it for a new one. and then change the sealed dvd for another dvd that u want. after all best buy sucks and i feel that this what they deserve. u can just say that u already got this sealed dvd, which was a birthday present, and wanted a new one.
Old 08-01-02, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by wanderlust
why don't u buy a new one and then used this receipt to exchange it for a new one. and then change the sealed dvd for another dvd that u want. after all best buy sucks and i feel that this what they deserve. u can just say that u already got this sealed dvd, which was a birthday present, and wanted a new one.
Good idea (which I actually considered doing if I couldn't find a more honest way). However, lucky for me e_hartnett gave me the idea to call the Wiz At least it's good to know that one store in my area is run by people who care a bit about others.

As I mentioned before........Now the Wiz will get most of my B&M DVD business. I guess I'll still buy something at BB (only because they have more of a selection than the Wiz in my area). However, it won’t amount to much. It will probably amount to a few new releases, which BB sells at very good discounts the day of the release (like The Time Machine for $15.99 with the bonus disc included).

When all is said and done, I doubt I'll buy more than one or two per month at BB in the future. Meanwhile I have in a shoebox on my desk receipts for well over 200 DVDs, which I bought at BB in the past 12 months. Good business on their part to loose such a customer over something like this.......Well.......It's no loss to me to take my business across the street (literally).

BTW: When someone at BB asks me one day why they don't see me so much anymore (and someone will), I'll make it known bright and clear.

FYI: One day when I returned my copy of To the Shores of Tripoli to BB because of the recall (The film is supposed to be in color, but a manufacturing problem sent the discs out in B&W ~ See DVD Talk Review ), they tried to make me take another copy. The manager refused to listen to what I was saying about a "recall" of "all discs". They opened three of them (to play) until they just gave me my $ back. When I mentioned that it might be a good idea to take them off the shelves, she said "good idea".......Well............They were NEVER taken off the shelves. However, I do know (from one of the employees) that every one sold after that date was eventually returned for the same reason I returned my copy. Therefore, this fine manager knowingly inconvinced numerous people, in an attempt to get a defective (recalled) product past as many customers as possible. It should be no surprise that this is the exact same manager who wouldn’t help me in this most recent case.

Just one other thing on that To the Shores of Tripoli matter. As is par with my local BB, this film is badly misplaced on the shelves (defective or not). In spite of my attempt to help them by explaining their mistake, To the Shores of Tripoli is located in the "comedy" section of my local BB. It's not the only title they so badly misplace in this store either.
Old 08-01-02, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...lucky for me e_hartnett gave me the idea to ...Wiz At least it's good to know ... people ... care a bit about others.

I guess I'll ... Wiz in my area... However, it won’t amount to much. It will probably amount to a few ...releases ...in a shoebox on my desk ...(literally).

BTW: ...I'll make it ... bright and clear.

Hey kids! Quoting is still fun!
Old 08-01-02, 09:26 AM

Hey kids! Quoting is still fun!
Am I beginning to detect the influence of Cameron Spencer Osborne in your writings

Old 08-01-02, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Am I beginning to detect the influence of Cameron Spencer Osborne in your writings

Those were your words. I just chose the ones I liked.

BTW: Did they name that store after Cam (the Wizard of Oz)?

Last edited by Dimension X; 08-01-02 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-01-02, 10:19 AM

Those were your words. I just chose the ones I liked.

BTW: Did they name that store after Cam (the Wizard of Oz)?
It is possible you know.......He is quite famous in his own mind

BTW: I hope you voted in the Other forum for the Cammy thread as "Your Favorite Thread"

Would you say to the nursing gorilla, "Nice Rack"? ~ Cameron Spencer Osborne ~ COMMENTS: I've not been to the zoo in over 10 years. Listened to Hypertrophy's "Beautiful Day" (extended version) throughout while writing this poem.
Old 08-01-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by e_hartnett
maybe you just got an employee with an attitude problem, but that's why I don't shop at BB anymore.
Employee with an attitude problem? At BB?

Naaaaww...
Old 08-01-02, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Wizdar
Employee with an attitude problem? At BB?

Naaaaww...
Old 08-01-02, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you read it wrong.......i didn't want money back....I wanted a replacement of the same exact movie..........What I wrote was the following:

The CSR said that they don't get $ back for defective discs. fom the distributor (which is a lie).......
Oh, I am sorry, I read that wrong. You're right, I apologize.

You know, I think they might be telling you the truth there as well, but that is not your problem, that's theirs. I work part time for Blockbuster and I think they have to field destory defective discs after a while. I am not entirely sure on the policies behind it, but I think they have to have a certain number of titles from a certain distributor before they can get money back. I have taken defective discs back to them that I got from them and know personally they never sent those back they had to field destroy them. But they didn't tell me, "Sorry you bought a defective disc from us, you're SOL, cuz we don't get refunded for that." That's just the cost of maintaining a business.
Old 08-01-02, 02:30 PM

You know, I think they might be telling you the truth there as well, but that is not your problem, that's theirs. I work part time for Blockbuster and I think they have to field destory defective discs after a while. I am not entirely sure on the policies behind it, but I think they have to have a certain number of titles from a certain distributor before they can get money back. I have taken defective discs back to them that I got from them and know personally they never sent those back they had to field destroy them. But they didn't tell me, "Sorry you bought a defective disc from us, you're SOL, cuz we don't get refunded for that." That's just the cost of maintaining a business.
Old 08-01-02, 02:56 PM

When covers are ripped off of paperback books, those are 'field-destroyed'. Nobody gets paid for that book, at least that's what it says inside.
Old 08-01-02, 03:02 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A couple of months ago I received a damaged DVD from bestbuy.com. I took it to the Best Buy store with the online receipt and was hoping to do a simple exchange. The CSR at the store said bestbuy.com and BB were two different entities and would require me to return the damaged DVD (at the store) and sell me another copy. He said something to the effect that the store would get charged to return damaged merchandise to the distributor (???). By returning the damaged DVD to the online entity, the store would avoid the loss...

Heck, what was he talking about? Aren't they the same company? All I wanted to do was to exchange the damaged DVD bought online for a good one of the exact same title at the store, with receipt!
Old 08-01-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

eau, WTF??

Maybe the two aren’t the same company (I think that’s BS), but according to the TV spot you can return stuff to the B&M store. (For a second there, I thought they may have changed their policy, but I remember seeing that stupid dog clicking the mouse in a commercial just the other night…)

In the past, I've returned a coupla damaged disks to the B&M that were ordered from BB.com. Hell, I seem to recall pulling a scam on them: received a damaged disk in the mail from somebody else, ordered a replacement from BB.com ('cause I knew they were out of stock), returned the damaged one to BB B&M, badda bing, badda bang.

Course, I don't deal with them any more, as of over a year ago, re DVDs. Several times I went in, Sunday AM at opening, looking for the deals in their weekly ad, but none in stock. The last time I had the list of the 5 titles on sale, not one was in stock.

Fuggem, lying sacks of shyte!
Old 08-01-02, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by Wizdar
..........Fuggem, lying sacks of shyte!