Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Import DVD stores in America?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After finding Smallville today in a Boarders where I live in Kansas City (it had an IMPORT sticker on it as well), I got to recalling how easy it was to find import CDs, especially at smaller independent record stores. And even in chains like Circuit City, I could easilly find certain import CDs.

That got me to wondering...are there any B&Ms in America that deal with import DVDs? And I mean as a separate section all together, with an impressive number of titles available, not just the random Smallville tossed into the mix here and there? If so, what and where are they, and if not, well...why not? Especially if import CDs are relatively easy to find.
Old 07-30-02, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are specialty shops that have stock on hand, or can order what you want (at a premium, of course!) Scarecrow Video is a good example of this. Check your phone book, you may find one.

Why not? I'm guessing a two-fold reason. Bootlegs and region coding. Most imports are going to be region coded outside of R1, which almost guarantees they'll take up valuable shelf space while US releases sell. Yeah, there are many R0 films out there, but unless you're dealing with a trusted supplier a retailer may be afraid of getting bootlegs. Small orders on imports can also be pricey at the retail level. With the Internet, anyone can become their own importer, and usually at a cost that's lower than retail import.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-30-02, 06:17 PM

Location: Over the hills and far away, where the view is NOT as nice as rumored.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your nearby used record store.

Check your nearby used record store.

Places that sell used and new CDs have, in recent years, taken to selling new and used DVDs aswell. There's a Discount Records near where I live, and now and again I'll see a Canadian DVD in there.
Old 07-30-02, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am all for being my own importer, but one arguement I hear most often from people who don't have a multi region player is they feel its unsafe to order from over seas retailers. Well, they also usually don't like to order on the Internet at all. But I see the point that it would be such a small market thing, that even if a store had a region two section, only a small percentage of the store's customers would seek it out and be interested in it.
Old 08-03-02, 10:15 AM
Yug

Mondo Kim's in New York's East Village has an amazing selection. You pay a small premeium in price but the gratification is instant!
Old 08-03-02, 10:59 AM
Cool New Member

I second the recommedation for Mondo Kim's. I use it exactly for that purpose - import dvd's that i have to have today. Also, Poker Industries ( http://www.pokerindustries.com ) has a B&M store in NJ and are also good for a quick fix.
Old 08-04-02, 06:43 PM

Region 4

What about region 4 dvd's. Does anyone know a store in New York who might have a selection of american films with spanish subtitles? alot of the region 1 new releases only have english and french language or subtitles. Black Hawk Down and John Q for example. It would be great to find a place here in the US that sells region 4 dvd's that have the spanish subtitles.
Old 08-05-02, 02:07 AM

The main reason it wouldn't work for most imports is PAL vs NTSC. While PAL TVs can generally handle NTSC, it's not the other way around. Hence to avoid J6Ps complaining about how they couldn't get a proper picture, retailers don't bother.

Hence imports would largely be confined to R2 and R4 NTSC.
Old 12-09-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thought i'd bump this thread instead of starting new one. Can we list retailers, B&M's stores, NOT online etailers please ( and no explanations on why not) of places to but importd and non- region 1 dvd's??
i know and been to one in San Diego near clairemont called Sing Young Karaoke. They sell mostly Karaoke equip hardware and software, as well as a good 3 shelves of dvds like house of daggers and Battle royale.
Anyone one know of other stores like this? in San Diego? and for those interested in other states as well. Orange county and Los Angeles locations are welcomed too.
thanks
Old 12-09-04, 10:07 PM

Hey IlikeDVD, I'm down in San Diego as well and the only one I've found [that carries legitimate releases] is Sing Young. They have 4 shelves (Japan, Adult/Hong kong, Anime/Hong Kong, and one with new releases, korean, etc..)
For the most part, its all legitimate (I believe a small few of the Anime aren't).

But yeah, thats all I've found down here in San Diego. 3 other Anime stores down here have Anime sections (With a small live action (10 or so movies) section), but they all appear to be bootlegs so I've passed on each of them

If you find another one though, Definately let me know. Sing Young is great though.
Old 12-09-04, 11:00 PM

For people who have Virgin Mega Stores, they have carried import DVD's for years. I've also seen some at Media Play, now and then.
Old 12-10-04, 06:06 PM

If you live in the Puget Sound area in Washington State, you probably already heard of Scarecrow Video. I can't recommend this store any higher than saying I wish they open a second store on the Eastside.

Most of the imports are for rental, but compared to any other B&M in the state the imports for sale are impressive. Anime, films, box sets, non-R1, VCD's, what have you. They also sell and support region free players.

More info at http://www.scarecrow.com
Old 12-10-04, 06:18 PM

Gary's Comics and More, on High Street in downtown Morgantown, WV, has a few import titles, largely anime but I've seen 'Battle Royale' and a couple of the 'Ringu' movies on their shelf. Problem with them is they tend to charge full retail -- which for comic books, I don't mind, but DVDs are another story. The only DVD I have bought from them is the new R1 2-discer of 'Star Trek Generations'.

The main reason I've become a customer there is that their layout is much more wheelchair friendly than another comics store downtown, Gateway, where I used to shop.

Last edited by WhFastus; 12-10-04 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-10-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Scarecrow also sells their previewed stock online, and every now n then you can find some hot deals. I got The Return (before it was out in R1), Last Life in the Universe, and a few others for $9.99 each, and these are not only imports, but rare imports at that. I was pretty happy with my purchase, and I would definitely check out Scarecrow if I lived in the area.
Old 12-11-04, 08:25 PM

Following up on my previous post: I went down to Gary's Comics today to pick up my monthly stash of comic books, and also took a look at their Asian cinema section. Aside from anime, it is VERY limited; only a few "major" titles like I mentioned above, and nothing that I noticed outside of the action/sci-fi/suspense genres. And a lot of their Asian cinema discs were region 1 releases. They have plenty of US genre DVDs (when I was in there this afternoon, they were playing a disc from Season 7 of Voyager).

So basically, their DVD selection is mostly R1 with a smattering of imports.
Old 12-12-04, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kitok
I second the recommedation for Mondo Kim's. I use it exactly for that purpose - import dvd's that i have to have today. Also, Poker Industries ( http://www.pokerindustries.com/poker...b0207a9222e46a ) has a B&M store in NJ and are also good for a quick fix.
Man. I wish I didn't know that - I'm going to be in New Jersey over the holidays, about 30 minutes from Old Bridge.

I've never seen non-R1s in any retail stores besides Kim's. But I have seen a lot of R0 HK discs in Newbury Comics, a New England chain. Unfortunately, like at Kim's, there are a lot of bootlegs mixed in with the real product.
Old 12-12-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
In any city with a Chinatown district, you should be able to find a good selection of Hong Kong and Chinese DVDs. Here in Boston I'm partial to Kneeland Electronics.
Old 12-12-04, 12:47 PM

i say avoid "import stores" at all costs : for people with more money than sense... really.
Old 12-12-04, 01:12 PM

i say avoid "import stores" at all costs : for people with more money than sense... really.
Well then. Everyone should stop looking for and shopping at B&M stores in the US because logboy says so.
Old 12-13-04, 10:32 AM

not so. do what you want. since the thread is about "recommending import stores in the USA" then i would have to give my opinion as "avoid" cos opinions were asked for, and mine is to avoid them.

if anyone is doing something simply cos someone else says so, they are daft. simple.

oh, and if you read what i posted, i say avoid cos theyre expensive : if you can save money, you can buy more films... or is the issue not one to do with actually liking and watching films, but one of say buying imports quickly?
Old 12-13-04, 11:09 AM

You are right, the thread is about "recommending import stores in the USA".

i would have to give my opinion as "avoid" cos opinions were asked for, and mine is to avoid them.
Try reading the post again. It doesn't ask for opinions about whether to buy from them or not. It's asking - "are there any B&Ms in America that deal with import DVDs?", and "if so, what and where are they?"

And of course, being condescending of people who do - "for people with more money than sense... really" - is completly pointless.
Old 12-13-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by logboy
if anyone is doing something simply cos someone else says so, they are daft. simple.
A person who hasn't quite mastered the basics of English grammar should be careful who they call "daft" or "simple".

Last edited by Josh Z; 12-13-04 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-13-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amoeba Records sells some imports...
Old 12-13-04, 01:23 PM
Mod Emeritus

logboy, enough with the potentially inflammatory and/or arguably off-topic posting, please. If you want to practice your rhetoric, please try Other Talk.

Thank you.

Benedict
Moderator, International DVD Talk
Old 12-13-04, 08:11 PM

QED in Westmont, IL has few shelves worth.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.