Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Analog stick Vs Dpad

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Analog stick Vs Dpad

am i just too old or do i lack some sort of coordination... i absolutely hate using the analog stick. i pretty much grew up on NES and up until N64 have never had to use analog, it was my brothers system and i never got to play any games becuase i couldn't handle the controller. PS1 and 2 have been pretty good with allowing the option of using the dpad or stick. I can make do using the stick when used for moving or looking, but when it needs to be percise, say for aiming, i suck and i hate it. i rented Medal of Honor Frontline, after liking and beating the first 2. MoH FL doesn't use the dpad at all really. i have to use both sticks to aim, and becuase of it, i get hit like 3 times before i can shoot the target.

i touch the stick
it goes too far to the left
i move it back and go to far to the right
i get it dead center
the guy moves
arrgh

the controls are really making me hate this game when i should be having a blast. so is it just me? has anyone felt like this but been able to over come it/get used to it? am i sol?
Old 07-30-02, 02:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I almost always play with the analog stick. I've never been a fan of the d-pad.

I like the Gamecube's controller but Nintendo really dropped the ball on that teeny-tiny D-pad.
Old 07-30-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
The only game I use the D-Pad for on my XBox is Dead or Alive 3.
Old 07-30-02, 03:12 PM
zig

Analog sticks are your friend. If you know how to use it it can be much more accurate than the D-pad. Maybe you should try getting a game like Super Monkey Ball, if that doesn't get you used to using an analog stick, I don't know what will.
Old 07-30-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FPS's suck on just about anything besides a mouse anyway. Analog sticks are great, and I grew up on the 2600/NES.
Old 07-30-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing beats a well done analog stick.
Old 07-30-02, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate the D-Pad, always will, and I curse Nintendo for bringing it out in the 80's. Acarde games never have a D-Pad. Why? Because it's a sucky controller.

Plus, I love the control of the analog stick. You've got to re-learn your habits. You can't just cram it all the way over like you do a D-pad.
Old 07-30-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Analog stick Vs Dpad

Originally posted by Gsuscryst
i have to use both sticks to aim, and becuase of it, i get hit like 3 times before i can shoot the target.
If you don't like using both sticks to aim, you can always change the controller set up so that you only have to use the left stick to aim.
Old 07-31-02, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love the D-pad. That is most likely due to hours of nes gameplay and even more hours of SFII on the SNES - then again i'm a 2-D fighter fan and those are way better on the D-pad. I guess i feel like i have finer control over the special moves and such with double taps etc.
Old 07-31-02, 12:23 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been using the D-pad for NCAA Football, but I'm thinking the analog stick will give me more control, especially with my run game. I just need to get used to it.