Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

For those with all 3 systems: Which one is your favorite?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And why?
Old 07-29-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It changes depending on games I buy. A few months ago I would have said the X-Box, nowadays it would be the GameCube. I do not see that title being taken any time soon with such high-profile titles coming out before the end of the year for the GC.

Once I'm done with some games on the GC, I'm going back to the PS2 to beat some games. The PS2 has definitely been collecting dust since about the first of the year. There are at least 3 games coming out that will bring it out of the dark though.
Old 07-29-02, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Firstly the DC because I have heaps of games for it and play it the most (playing Shenmue 2 right now).

then XBox because of Halo, JSRF, Fuzion Frenzy, and a couple of others.

then PS2, following behind mainly because I just bought it and only have 3 games so far. I expect to be buying a lot of games over the next 2 years (Suikoden 3!)

then GC.. SMB is cool but otherwise...

Chris
Old 07-29-02, 09:46 AM

Xbox First
Playing NCAA right now then Later this month Buffy and DTR.
Microsoft titles this fall. Xbox live. DD 5.1 rocks.

Gamecube Second.
Just finished ED getting SMS when released then gamecube and Xbox will get equal time.
Getting Nintendo AAA titles.

PS2 Last.
Playing Hot Shots Golf on occasion.
Don't see anything I want till Kingdom Hearts.
Maybe SOCOM, beta tested and it was fun.
PS2 kind of been there done that right now.
If it wasnt for square I probably would sell it.

JMHO.
Ryan
Old 07-29-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gotta vote for the Dreamcast as #1 - great graphics, sound and games (even a modem) in a compact package. It is and will be missed.

The PS2 is a solid second - a huge library of games due to the backward compatibility, and also great support from software developers. DVD playback is nice too, if needed. Controllers are great too.

Xbox - Morrowind, need I say more?

Gamecube - not as much experience with it as I'd like, esp since there's not a lot of games for it that compel me to play it.

Last edited by stingo; 07-29-02 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-29-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I find it interesting that the "dead" dreamcast is outperforming these newer systems. I too loved my dreamcast and will hold a part of my heart....errrr..thumb.
Old 07-29-02, 11:17 AM

Gotta go with the X-Box...

why?

A lot of games that I'm interested in are being developed for multiple platforms. And, it seems as if a game is put out on all three systems, the X-Box always has the best version.
Old 07-29-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Xbox for the moment (next 200-300+ hours) due to Morrowind.
Old 07-29-02, 11:47 AM

I guess my favorite would be Xbox due to Halo (it never gets old for me). I also prefer Xbox because when it's programmed for properly, you can get some amazing experiences out of it.

Gamecube would be my second favorite due to it's upcoming lineup of Nintendo first party games.

PS2 is the one that never seems to be used anymore. Ever since I completed Jak and Daxter, MGS2 and Maximo, it's slowly gathered dust. At the moment, there are only a few games that I look forward to playing on it. I just hope Sony learns their lesson and gives the PS3 a lot more texture memory.
Old 07-29-02, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I go through phases depending on which game Im obsessing on. I do wish they all had hard drives though.
Old 07-29-02, 01:19 PM
Mod Emeritus

In anticipation of Mario, GCN.

Because of Crazy Taxi 3 the Xbox will spend a week in the closet as punishment.
Old 07-29-02, 02:33 PM
Banned

You didn't like Crazy Taxi 3?!

Or you did?!

I Am confused.
Old 07-29-02, 02:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

Jim, be confused no longer: I may have possibly not enjoyed Crazy Taxi 3 but odds are that isn't not true and in reality it's a distinct possibility the reverse isn't true either.

Spoiler:
Hated it.
Old 07-29-02, 02:52 PM
Banned

Thats too bad, did you sell it back immediately? Did the slowdown in glitter oasis seal the deal for you? Did you not do the minigames?!
Old 07-29-02, 03:59 PM
Mod Emeritus

Actually I was only renting it and for some reason it was locking up a lot anyway so I got Ballbuster to exchange it for another game (took it back twice).
Old 07-29-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 517 Likes on 355 Posts
Of my 3 platforms (2600, N64, PC) I find I play my PC the most with the 2600 second. I only fire up the N64 every now and then for a Rogue Squadron or Goldeneye fix.
Old 07-29-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since the title seems to request my favorite from the current top three, the order would be:

PS2
Games currently playing:
Grand Theft Auto 3
Rez
Virtua Fighter 4
Wipeout Fusion
Metal Gear Solid 2
SSX Tricky

X-Box
Games currently playing:
Crazy Taxi 3
Jet Set Radio Future
Gunvalkyrie
Halo

Gamecube
Games currently playing:
None
I've got Resident Evil, Waverace, Super Smash Brothers: Melee, and Super Monkey Ball, and the only one I play off and on now is Resident Evil. I rented Eternal Darkness and wasn't all that impressed, though I did like the battle system.

In the next few months, it will be a battle between my PS2 and X-box. With GTA: VC, Tekken 4, Kingdom Hearts, and Onimusha 2 for PS2 and Panzer Dragoon, Splinter Cell, Tony Hawk 4, MGS2: Substance for the X-Box. Then there's the old GC for which I will most likely just buy the remaining Resident Evil's and Metroid Prime.
Old 07-29-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Game Cube by far is my favorite, but just because of Nintendo exclusives. Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil were both great games to play and I still play Smash Bros from time to time. Next up is Mario Sunshine and I'm sure I will be playing that non stop.

Playstation 2 is second. I rented Freekstyle and it was fun to play, I also picked up Sled Storm for $10 at Target and its a decent racer. I also recently borrowed and played Virtua Fighter 4 and Ace Combat 4. Other than that my PS2 has been quiet lately, but October will be the big month for the PS2 with GTA: Vice City and Kingdom Hearts.

Xbox is basically an extra DVD player. I only have Tony Hawk 2X (which I played to death) and NFL 2K2 left for Xbox. I've traded off or sold all the other Xbox games I had because I simply got tired of them. I ordered Crazi Taxi 3 High Roller today while it was still on sale, so I'm sure I will have some fun with it before Mario gets here. Xbox looks to pretty much be a system to play sports games on since the hard drive eliminates save file problems. Other than that the exclusives for it have little interest for me, with the exception of a few Sega ones like Panzer Dragoon Orta and possibly House of the Dead 3 (Which I won't buy until its around $20).
Old 07-29-02, 10:19 PM

PS2 gets the most play--biggest library, backwards compatibility, etc. This makes it, by a narrow margin, my overall favorite.

XBox is my personal favorite concept machine. I love the hard drive, and I actually like the big monkey-hand controllers. It's my favorite piece of hardware. It doesn't have near as many games I like as the PS2, but it has enough that I'm happy with it.

The Gamecube (technically, not mine, but I have open access to) is... really cute. And I like the Wavebird. But the current game library leaves me cold (I haven't played ED, yet; I'm hoping I'll really like that. But I have played most of the 'must-haves'), and there are only three or four exclusive games that really interest me on the horizon.
Old 07-29-02, 10:25 PM
Retired

Glad to see the emphasis being put on games, though I don't see the need for another of these threads.

Anyway, I don't really have a favorite system per se, as I just want to play a good game and could care less which platform it's on.

So the only way I can rank my "favorite systems" is by the number of games that I like on them.

By this criteria my "favorite" system is the Gamecube. Nintendo is my favorite game developer, and exclusives like Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness from third and second parties just add to the lineup.

Next is the PS2. They have the best third party support.

Last is the X-box, which I don't own. There just wasn't enough games that interested me to get it over a PS2 after the price drops, and I don't have the time or money to justify buying all 3 systems.
Old 07-30-02, 09:52 AM

Well I guess my number is Gamecube since I'm playing Mario, and I'm anticipating Phantasy Star Online( I'm waiting for my trial version to come in the mail, any day now).

PS2 is second. I had been spending a lot of time with since I only got it in May. Planned on spending this week finishing Jak & Daxter, but my 3 year old saved over my file. I was at 57% complete(aaargh!).

DC is last. I have the most games for it, but I just don't spend that much time with it. I'll never sell it though, I love my beige little box.
Old 07-30-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,246 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Glad to see the emphasis being put on games, though I don't see the need for another of these threads.
This isn't a "what's your favorite console?" thread -- it's for those who own all three of the current systems, as the subject clearly indicates. Since you don't own all three, your post isn't relevant to this discussion.
Old 07-30-02, 10:12 AM

PS2 - Currently I'm loving RE: Code Veronica and once that's finished I'm moving on to Ico. I still have yet to finish GTA3 (which I play at least once or twice a week) and Maximo. Is it just me or do others have a hard time fitting games into their life lately?

Gamecube - Haven't bought it yet but with the big three rolling out soon my PS2 will be in a stiff competetion for my precious loving.
Old 07-30-02, 11:54 AM
Retired

ctyner, I'll post my opinions anywhere I want. Half the people that have posted here don't own all three, and were even mentioning the damn dreamcast, so I figured I might as well post too.

And this is still at "which console is your favorite" thread. I mean it says "Which one is your favorite?" It's irrelevant that it's for people that own all 3. It still the same damn topic that's been beat to death in this forum.

Apparently the mods have changed there stance or just aren't around as threads like this usually don't last long.
Old 07-30-02, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Half the people that have posted here don't own all three, and were even mentioning the damn dreamcast, so I figured I might as well post too.
In his defense, only 4\15 people that have posted don't have all three of the big boys out there right now (assuming those that replied with only one system chose that one from the three they have), and most of those that included the DC also included the big three.

And this is still at "which console is your favorite" thread. I mean it says "Which one is your favorite?" It's irrelevant that it's for people that own all 3. It still the same damn topic that's been beat to death in this forum.
Actually it says "For those with all 3 systems: Which one is your favorite?", which hardly makes it irrelevant that it's for people with all 3, but everyone that's been here more than a month should know that threads often do stray from what has been "intended" by the thread starter.

ctyner, I'll post my opinions anywhere I want.
Yes you will .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.