Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Racing game for xbox?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-02, 06:46 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Racing game for xbox?

Thanks so much : >

Buying xbox Today after work, along with the FF steering wheel , so i need a good racing game to go with it : >

Games I'll be buying: Halo, DOA and KOK's

Also, is the smaller controller really better? some say it fits better other than the bigger one that comes in the box.

This is my first gaming system since Atari (Grin) so I'm not too up to date regarding games or systems.

Paying $199 for xbox at BB and $49 for each game.

$29 for smaller controller ,$69 for FF wheel and $20 for the AV HD cable.

CC and the Wiz has the same price as BB ,Can I find these items cheaper elsewhere? I'm in NYC .

PS:Having people over this weekend so this should be fun : > Will be playing on 65" HDTV

Thanks for your time :>

Blue
Old 07-25-02, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
For a good racing game, check out either Project Gotham Racing or Rallisport Challenge.

Tuan Jim
Old 07-25-02, 10:37 AM

Or Moto GP... three quality choices.

All the prices you've mentioned seem to be the standard ones everywhere.

As for the smaller Controller S, the biggest objective difference is that it has a much improved digital pad. On the flip side, I've read that some people prefer the original's triggers for racing games.

Last edited by mr.snowmizer; 07-25-02 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-25-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't used the smaller "S" pad....but my first thought when I got the X-Box was that the controller was way too large to be useful, but I've found it too be quite manageable, but that may just be because I have big hands.

You seem to have scoped out some of the best titles on the X-Box. I have Project Gotham Racing and its a beautiful looking game, but don't let that fool you, its a great racing game with handling that is neither extremely difficult, nor for idiots.
Old 07-25-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought an 'S' controller but I returned it for a regular controller. It wasn't bad, but I decided I'd rather have 2 of the same controllers.

I don't think there's a perfect answer about the controller choice. It's very much a personal preference.
Old 07-25-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you're having friends over to play then nothing beats HALO with 4 players. You will want to pick up 3 extra controllers instead of just one though.

I have 2 original controllers and 2 of the controller s. I prefer the controller s, but my girlfriend prefers the original. The layout of the buttons are different on the controller s, but since you are not used to either you'll just have to play with both and make your own assessment.

I have PGR and my friend has RSC. I like PGR better for the style aspect, but if you want something closer to a sim then I would get RSC. Both are fun, but RSC has better graphics IMHO.

Also make sure you get the proper AV cable. It can be confusing because there is an advanced AV pack and an HD AV pack. Make sure you get the HD AV pack if you have component inputs on your TV (you should since it's an HDTV). The advanced AV pack only has s-video and composite. The packaging looks the same at a glance so just make sure of the text on the packaging.

Have fun!
Old 07-25-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also check out Electronics Boutique if you have one near you. They were doing a deal where you buy the Xbox, controller s, HALO, and another game and you get a $50 mail in rebate. This may benefit you. It's like getting a game for free. Hope they're still doing it.
Old 07-25-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd go for Project Gotham Racing (I've only played Rallisport briefly and only the demo for Moto GP)

I like both controllers, I think the S-Controller is better for sports games though.
Old 07-25-02, 01:36 PM
Shawn

I borrowed PGR from a friend, and it's definitely worth a purchase. It's waaaaaay too hard for me though . I have one regular controller and one S, and I use the S more.
Old 07-25-02, 06:57 PM
Cool New Member

Hello

I bought "Rallysport Challenge" . I also bought DOA ,Halo , but they didn't have KOK's. Will try and find KOK's Friday.

XBOX $199
HD AV pack $19.99
FF wheel $59
Extra controller (smaller) was $29 , but the manager cut me deal at my request. I got it for $15. They had a $5 dollar coupon off for accessories ,plus he told the cashier to take a addtional $10 off which made it $15

3 games at $49 each ,but when i got home and looked at my receipt i noticed the cashier made a mistake. She forgot to ring up DOA so as it stands now i got it for free. They were all so nice I'm thinking about bringing it back Friday. They were all very nice to me, manager , sales kids on the floor and cashier girl.
Plus BB had sent me a $25 gift card and i used that toward my purchase : >

So i saved $15 off the controller and $25 gift card which brings it to $40 dollars . If you count the extra game they forgot to charge it brings it $90.. Seriously thinking about giving it back when i get off work Friday. I hope the cashier girl doesn't get in trouble.
( That's the only thing stopping me from giving it back)

I just got home about a hour ago , so i haven't tried it out yet, but will set it up in about 1 hour. Need a head start on my friends this weekend : >

Thanks to all for the replies : >

PS: Yes, that's a good idea picking up 2 more controller's. I'll get one more regular and one more S version so I'll have two regular and 2 S models. Didn't know 4 can play some games at the same time ! Thanks so much for telling me. This is going to be fun : >

Blue
Old 07-25-02, 07:36 PM
Banned

Oh ****! Looks like a casual gamer picked up the Xbox!!!
Don't let Joshinkle know or any of the other Nintendo fanboys!

It's our secret Bluerain.

-Jim
Old 07-25-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Welcome to the club. By the way all of the games you picked up support 4 players. Have fun.
Old 07-26-02, 10:15 AM
Banned

Also:

Possibly try out "Hunter: The Reckoning", or "Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller".. both very good and newer games...

-Jim
Old 07-26-02, 11:44 AM

sounds like some great choices made on your purchases. Now just sit back and wait for the killer line up coming out this fall. I would start saving your money now for games like Brute Force and Splinter Cell. Also the whole Xbox live with the sports games is going to be killer.
Old 07-26-02, 04:24 PM
Banned

Speaking of the fall lineup..

I too am waiting for it, but am also a bit scared!! Starting this August, til December, there are too many games I want!

Made a list of abotu 15 games I want, and wont be able to afford that, nor have the space for it.. going to be hard to narrow it down with so many games I *need* to have.. PDOrta, TJ&E 3, Splinter Cell, Brute Force.. oh man..