Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Last House on the Left DVD Review

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-02, 08:51 AM
NMA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From DVDFile...
Old 07-23-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've never seen this one. If the price is right I may pick it up.....
Old 07-24-02, 10:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Looking forward to this disc!
Old 07-30-02, 10:44 AM
RVP

Also been waiting for this one. I have heard it is pretty scary, and it has been a while since I saw a movie that really scared me.

BTW.... $ 9.36 at Deep Discount DVD
Old 07-30-02, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just about every barrier of "good taste" imaginable is broken.

So what did I do
Spoiler:
I just placed my order with DDD
Old 08-06-02, 06:02 PM
Registered

DVD Savant's Review on DVD Talk:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=4309
Old 08-07-02, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While the film may be to much for most to handle.

I think the film is many things....great disturbing & unrelenting film which could & sadly does happen in the real world....& a extremely wild dark pitch black comedy make for an exploitation classic!

Most people only comment on the disturbing elements..& only reference the two cops as the only humor in the film which is rather out of place(though i like it!),yet i wonder has anyone else seen the pitch black humor that runs throughout the film......expect for it's most brutal & sad portion(should be easy to spot) that is absolutely serious & usettling?
Old 08-13-02, 10:42 AM

Last House is a total trip. I like this movie, but man...it's one helluva bummer! Best way to view is not to take too seriously. Otherwise, Wes Craven's grainy and documentary-style approach gets to be somewhat TOO involving in the goings-on.
Remember, though: it's not a horror film (for those of you who never saw it) in the sense of Frankenstein, Hellraiser or Halloween. The villians in this film are REAL monsters and, at one point, even shock themselves at how they attack one unfortunate victim.
I love the Seventies look and feel of the film...they don't make 'em like this anymore (shame) but I must mention - the two lead actresses are just as gorgeous as all get-out and really get into their roles (talk about brave!).
Old 08-26-02, 10:36 PM

This movie is indeed sick in the head. Two great horror movies coming out tom!! I am goign to pick this up as well as return of the living dead. I suggest everyone who considers themselfs horror fans do the same!!!
Old 08-27-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I though the "making of" portion was really good........
Old 08-28-02, 01:53 AM

This is a great flick, I have been anticipating the DVD release for a long time... picked it up today, am about to watch it I think any fan of horror movies will not be dissapointed with this one.
Old 08-28-02, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Y'know, there are many horror movies out that have a lot of hype, and hyperbole. People blow movies out of proportion.

I remember when people were talking about Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Listening to them you would think it was the goriest movie ever made.

And the Exorcist had so much vomit, buckets of the stuff.

So, I watched Last House with a mindset that people were just exaggerating.

Was I wrong.

This movie is vile, and unflinching, and violent, and disturbing, and uncomfortable to watch.

Glad I bought it.

It is definitely a HORROR movie.

Highly recommended
Old 08-28-02, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by smokedragon
So, I watched Last House with a mindset that people were just exaggerating.

Was I wrong.

This movie is vile, and unflinching, and violent, and disturbing, and uncomfortable to watch.
I had the complete opposite reaction, finding it extremely dull and dated. I might have felt differently if not for all the hype I've been exposed to ever since I first took an interest in horror.
Old 08-29-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to agree. After all the hype I was really expecting something. So, when last night my (late) pre-order from DDD came, I was really excited. My girlfriend had heard me talking about it and wanted nothing to do with it, so I waitied until after she went to bed.

Firstly (I know this was the seventies but...) the music was awful! Oh my god it was painful!

The acting was below par even for a nil-budget B horror movie. Especially the two girls.

I was led to believe that this was the most complete uncut version available but there were very obvious and unprofessional cuts made during the violence.

As for the graphic violence... what graphic violence? Other than a very very brief (about half a second) shot of
Spoiler:
Phillis's intestine
which was obviously cut from a longer scene, there was nothing in this movie that hasn't been done ten times worse in thousands of diferent movies. The scene
Spoiler:
where the mother bites the thug while performing oral sex was done much more graphicly and effectivly on HBO's series "OZ"

I'm sorry, I found the movie dull and shocking only in the fact that a cover blurb says Roger Ebert gave it 3 1/2 stars.

Last edited by DeputyDave; 08-29-02 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-30-02, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by dgeralsh
I have to agree. After all the hype I was really expecting something. So, when last night my (late) pre-order from DDD came, I was really excited. My girlfriend had heard me talking about it and wanted nothing to do with it, so I waitied until after she went to bed.

Firstly (I know this was the seventies but...) the music was awful! Oh my god it was painful!

The acting was below par even for a nil-budget B horror movie. Especially the two girls.

I was led to believe that this was the most complete uncut version available but there were very obvious and unprofessional cuts made during the violence.

As for the graphic violence... what graphic violence? Other than a very very brief (about half a second) shot of
Spoiler:
Phillis's intestine
which was obviously cut from a longer scene, there was nothing in this movie that hasn't been done ten times worse in thousands of diferent movies. The scene
Spoiler:
where the mother bites the thug while performing oral sex was done much more graphicly and effectivly on HBO's series "OZ"

I'm sorry, I found the movie dull and shocking only in the fact that a cover blurb says Roger Ebert gave it 3 1/2 stars.

Well you may be even more shocked that i give Last House **** stars

+ As for it not being 'graphic' enough. You should remember the time the film was made in,when graphic violence was hardly present in films,until The Wild Bunch.in 1969,Straw Dogs & Clockwork Orange in '71...yet those films where not extremely graphic as well,but still powerful,yet still somewhat 'movieish' & hardly taking place in reality(aside from Straw Dogs)...then along comes Last House which really pushed the limits of what was shown onscreen & how far it could go...& completely outraged the mainstream among others at the time who where not used to seeing such realisticly,unpleasnent graphic
carnage & sadism in a film.

Sure the film is not that 'gory' & should be mentioned it was butchured time & again since it's release..that some of the more graphic footage is lost for good. Even Steve Miner points out in the Forbidden Footage feature that the film was much more graphic than what is in the current film!

+ If not for this film,we wouldn't have the current state of violence today...alot which is ripped from Last House...such as mentioning a person getting his dick bit off in OZ.

So sure other movies had outdid it with violence shown onscreen.....but they never got the power Last House had durring the scenes...& seem more like gore for gores sake...rather than being unpleasent & upsetting to see,most other films show violence as fun & unrealistic.

Also if you should remember the film is a low low budget film with mostly inexperianced filmmaker's & actor's all learning as they went along. So don't expect a polished film,amazing soundtrack,editing,acting & so on.

In fact the amature nature of the film is part of why i find the film a pitch black comedy....since the tone keeps changing & has this unsettling dark sense of humor going throughout the film despite it's content. The felatio scene i find hialrious since it's so outragous & not supposed to be taken seriously.

I liked the music,it added to the film & again a some of it added to the humor throughout the film like the upbeat "Baddies Theme"..& then "Road To Nowhere' was actually sad & haunting..great song!

Now for those who can't look over the fact that the film is not extremely graphic by todays standards after being exposed to so much explicit violence.

The entire rape-murder sequence is incrdibly sad & disturbing. How anyone could not care about what happens to the girls & react to it..is beyond me. + it's even more sad when you look at it from there perspective of what they are going through. They're young,carefree happy & innocent just out experiancing life & about to enter adulthood. Then they run into the gang who serve to take away any innocence & purity they had & defile them into nothing...then finally killing them.

Anyway i love the film & consider it a all time favorite of mine.

If anyone doesn't like it fine...but if you don't like it for not being graphic enough & to amaturish,unpolished...well i explained as best i can why that made it a good film & alot more memorable than a more mainstream film tackling the same subject.
Old 08-31-02, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't listened to Craven's commentary yet - I think this might be more entertaining than the film itself. I found the movie a little boring and overhyped. Shocking? Maybe 30 years ago.
Old 09-07-02, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Julie Walker
While the film may be to much for most to handle.
The film is too horrid to watch!!!!! And I am not talking about the violence. The whole film experience is sad and shaky, there are many other films that are better in the genre,. However, it is interesting to see Wes Cravens first film with all possible errors.

Anyway, I would recommend the Austrian film Funny Games before this one any day.

As for your liking for the film, more power to you.

Last edited by DVD Smurf; 09-07-02 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-08-02, 01:47 AM

yuck. not scary,, extremely boring . I sold it next day after I bought it and viewed it. This movie is WES's worst... It's pooty!!
Old 09-08-02, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
I picked this up for a foreign exchange and sat down to watch it after all the hype. I'm laughing at DVDSmurf's reccomendation of Funny Games, because I had the same thought. Just recently saw it and it was much more harrowing. That said . . .

Yes, by today's standards LHOTL has lost its power. When it was released I'm sure it was a very shocking and powerful film. It is not a horror film by traditional standards, but more akin to Silence of the Lambs in the fact that is not out to portray blood and guts (well, most of the time), but real life monsters and possible atrocities.

The movie itself suffers from severe multiple personality disorder, IMO. Some drama and strong scenes are simply overshadowed to changes to pure slapstick comedy, some dark humor, and a soundtrack that just does not make any sense at all (interestingly though, it is composed and performed by the lead bad guy!). Somebody break out the Prozac and get the bad Burt Bacharach impersonater out of here! In the commentary Wes Craven admits that he was stoned most of the time, and it shows. Some well thought out scenes and great guerilla filmmaking are lost by scenes that seem like a couple of stoned kids in Denny's said "You know what would be cool?"

If you are going to get this one, get it because it is cheap (around $10) and offers a good look into a piece of film history through it's docus and commentary.