DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need receiver help.

Old 07-21-02, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need receiver help.

Why is there no sound coming out of my receiver if I hook up my DVD player to the receiver using a digi-coaxial input? The dvd player works just fine if I connect it via digi-optical input. Also, when I try to play DTS tracks, there is no sound coming out (even when I hook it up with the optical input). Is there a setting I have to switch the receiver to in order for it to recognize DTS? I thought it did so automatically.
Old 07-21-02, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Brand and model of receiver?
Old 07-21-02, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There could be several things set incorrectly, in the receiver, DVD player and DVD audio options menu. This is exactly the kind of situation where owner's manuals come in handy.

The first thing you probably need to do is assign the coaxial digital input on your receiver to a specific input (i.e. DVD). You may or may not need to enable the output on your DVD player. I wouldn't think you would, but you never know. It's also probably a good idea to have only one digital connection at a time to the same input (optical or caox, pick one).

As far as the DTS thing goes, there are two things you need to do. First, you almost certainly have to go into your DVD player's set-up menu and enable, or turn on, the DTS capability. This is the step almost everyone misses.

Next, I can't think of any DVDs that default to the DTS track. When playing a DTS DVD, you'll need to go into the audio menu and select the DTS track.
Old 07-21-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by palebluedot
Brand and model of receiver?
Sorry, it's the Pioneer 850S.
Old 07-21-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mr. Salty

As far as the DTS thing goes, there are two things you need to do. First, you almost certainly have to go into your DVD player's set-up menu and enable, or turn on, the DTS capability. This is the step almost everyone misses.

Next, I can't think of any DVDs that default to the DTS track. When playing a DTS DVD, you'll need to go into the audio menu and select the DTS track.
But on the receiver's end, it'll decode the DTS track without me having to change any settings on the receiver, right?
Old 07-21-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
With my pioneer it is that way but every time I put in a movie I have to set the dvd player to DD/DTS, and you have to set that specific input (DVDPLAYER) to also use your coax not optical as someone in here said.

Shadow
Old 07-21-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shadowhawk2020
With my pioneer it is that way but every time I put in a movie I have to set the dvd player to DD/DTS, and you have to set that specific input (DVDPLAYER) to also use your coax not optical as someone in here said.

Shadow
OK, the manual is a little confusing on how to set the coax input to the DVD player. There's three settings there for VCR/DVR and DVD 7.1 inputs and finally DVD, which one of these do I use?
Old 07-25-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Input to the dvd? Wouldn't that be output? In any case I'd think you'd need to set it to dvd.