Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

need help with audio!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

need help with audio!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-02, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with audio!

I have Denon AVR-681 receiver and Panasonic DVD RV-32. I cannot figure out what the deal is for correct audio!!! Both have DTS and Dolby Pro Logic... PLEASE HELP ME!

Yes, I have connected speakers correctly: 2 front, 1 center, 2 rear, 1 sub

Yes, I have auido cables connected correctly: CD player to CD in, DVD player to optical in, VCR to VCR in.

CD player and TV/VCR audio is fine and loud!

I cannot get either 5.1 surround or DTS to work properly! I have chosen both 5.1 Dolby and/or DTS from DVD menu (Gladiator), and I have my receiver in "Auto" detection mode. It senses the Optical audio signal and recognizes that its a DIGITAL signal, but then I can only listen to the movie in either STEREO, Dobly Pro Logic, or Virtual... Stereo sounds great and loud, but I'm only hearing it from 2 front speakers! Dobly Pro Logic sounds like crap, cuz yeah, the voices are coming from the center, but thats it! And Virtual sounds like I'm listening to my alarm clock radio.

I can't figure out whats wrong!
Old 07-20-02, 01:35 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try putting a disc in your player and go to the setup menu. You probably need to change the audio output from PCM to Digital. (Or maybe Optical.)

I've never used a Panasonic, so I'm not sure of the exact terms or menu settings, but it's in there somewhere.

In any case, it sounds like your player is outputting PCM (which, if I remember correctly, is a 2 channel digital signal.)

Hope that helps.

-David
Old 07-20-02, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-check your receiver settings...you shouldn't need a disc in to set it up

-make sure the digital output on the DVD player is set to "STREAM" instead of PCM

-and i think it's better to use a digital coax connection than an optical, but it's all good