Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

overscan on tv?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
overscan on tv?

is there a way to get rid of it. i do not have hdtv, and can somebody explain to me what it is and why it is there
Old 07-15-02, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The picture that most people see on their TV, unless it is high def is 480 lines. On the broadcast end, before it gets to you the picture is actually 525 lines. The extra space actually holds coding for CC and is used for engineering reasons. As far as how to get rid of it depends on the model that you have. I know most broadcast and industrial monitors have a simple switch. But consumer models vary and most don't have it unless the picture is actually manipulated in service adjustments.
Old 07-15-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Your overscan should be about 4%-5%. You can check this by loading the overscan pattern in AVIA.

However to fix this you would need to go into the TV's service menu, which isn't for everyone. In the service menu you can center the picture and adjust the overscan. Of course when you adjust one thing, it throws something else out of wack, which is usually the geometry. So you would have to adjust the geometry as well.

Overscan, if it is too high, can be bothersome but is really only noticable on a movie that has something specific that takes up the entire width of the screen. A perfect example of this would be The Royal Tenenbaums on the scenes where it shows the book chapters, letters from words on the right and left of the screen will be cut off.

Last edited by palebluedot; 07-17-02 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-16-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i have a mitsubishi 60 inch tv. dont know model number or how much it costs.
Old 07-17-02, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well let me understand this, are you saying with overscan you are trying to see more of the picture, or are you calibrating it to see less?
I just bought a new Sony Wega. When i was watching broadcast tv i noticed the picture seemed funny, specially when the channel logo appeared on the bottom right of the screen. My GF has a 20 inch TV. Compared to hers my new Sony is not showing (cutting off) some of the picture on the bottom and to the left of the screen. The network logo is closer to the bottom of the screen than on my GF Panny tv. To correct this i (or technician) need to go to the service mode to fix this right??

I.E. your computer monitor, the monitor has in it's menu a Horiz position and a vertical position and a pic squeeze position. I fix my monitor so i get 100% picture from corner to corner, i can see more of my dvd on my computer than on my old TV. With my new Wega i can adjust it like my computer monitor, right? Is it possible. Thats what i want.
Thanks.
Old 07-17-02, 01:50 AM

Technically what we see at 480 lines is our sets overscanning the original 525 line image to 480 so all we see is the picture and not the other stuff that is there. It is not unusual for this to be off. Your picture may need to be adjusted and this is usually done from the service menu (not something to play with if you don't know what you are doing). Your computer monitor analogy is part right, but other issues such as geometry come into play so it is not as simple.
Old 07-17-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On a computer monitor you should have the entire signal displayed.
On a TV you should have 3-5% overscan.
Old 07-17-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by ILikeDVD
I just bought a new Sony Wega. When i was watching broadcast tv i noticed the picture seemed funny, specially when the channel logo appeared on the bottom right of the screen. My GF has a 20 inch TV. Compared to hers my new Sony is not showing (cutting off) some of the picture on the bottom and to the left of the screen. The network logo is closer to the bottom of the screen than on my GF Panny tv. To correct this i (or technician) need to go to the service mode to fix this right??
In concept this is correct, but you really don't want to go messing with your TV's service menu unless you know what you are doing. You can badly screw things up in there, and you'll have voided the warranty by accessing that menu.

As stated above, a consumer TV should have about 3-5% overscan. It's not really a big deal and you're generally not missing anything important. The way almost all movies and TV shows are photographed allows for a small safe area around the edges to compensate for erratic theater projection and/or TV overscan.

I've found that adjusting a TV for zero overscan is more trouble than it's worth. You wind up exposing all sorts of excess signal crap along the edges of broadcast TV transmissions that you are never meant to see.
Old 07-17-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i wanna see whats on the sides but i will forget about it since all of you say that it might mess up the warrenty.
Old 07-17-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, thanks for the info. I now understand overscan for broadcast tv. But whatabout dvds? On my computer i see all of the image. On my home tv, about 1 inch of the picture is missing on the left and on the right, but when i use the on-screen dvd menu on my dvd player, i get a small window of the movie, and in that small version window i can see the missing inches on the side. Will adjusting the overscan in the HDTV/component input mode setting for the dvd player fix this? Or not? Thanks for any info.

PS. I am having an ISF technician calibrate my tv, so i want to be prepared.
Old 07-17-02, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by ILikeDVD
Ok, thanks for the info. I now understand overscan for broadcast tv. But whatabout dvds? On my computer i see all of the image. On my home tv, about 1 inch of the picture is missing on the left and on the right, but when i use the on-screen dvd menu on my dvd player, i get a small window of the movie, and in that small version window i can see the missing inches on the side. Will adjusting the overscan in the HDTV/component input mode setting for the dvd player fix this? Or not? Thanks for any info.

PS. I am having an ISF technician calibrate my tv, so i want to be prepared.

Some DVD players have a feature to center the image and reduce the size to make it properly fit.

When the ISF guy comes out make sure he properly adjusts overscan to around 4% - 5%.