Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Love hina (Anime)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-02, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love hina (Anime)

Well I read dvd talks review on it. and sure the third disc isn't all that great. but then again, for those new to the whole love hina scene and hell, for those of who are coming off cowboy bebop as there first anime.. this is different, and for a reason.

I figure that many folks have just finished watching or seen there first experience with anime through Cowboy bebop, and though that is a great piece of work, Love hina is a different scale of anime.

which can cause confussion and may cause some back lash of anime simply because Anime is not just one type of movie. you wont always see giant robots in an anime series.

Love hina offers plenty of Fan service. this is where there is lots of female characters running around wearing *ahem* items to service the fan. and love hina also takes a lot of jabs at itself and typical Anime

Now for the grand scale. Love hina, as a series is great. broken down, you will get a lot of episodes, some good, some bad, some that I wouldn't really watch again, and some that are just great stuff to see over and over again.

It offers plenty of charaters so you can take your pick on which ones you perfer over the others and over all offers a nice story to go along with it, mixed up within a lot of sub stories that might not always be for your taste.

I loved it, and I also loved the second mini series (OVA) Love Hina Again, which I would recommand to anyone willing to check out some good anime.
Old 07-11-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The manga is good too, and with more fan service if that's what you're looking for...
Old 07-12-02, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The manga is indeed good.
and of course, with any manga to anime translation you will get a slightly different take on stories.

take for example the episode where Motoko(sp) is stuck in video game dream. well in the manga it's really Kieterio's dream and he is the main character. the anime just has to do it to better move along the characters. both are a well worth read and viewing.
Old 07-15-02, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

reviewer doesn't get it

I seriously disagree with the Love Hina disc volume 3 review. IMHO, the reviewer is way off base with a "rent it" rating. I think he just doesn't get the jokes.

---potential spoiler warning---

For example, episode 11 is not "Another pretty boring episode"--it's a hilarious satire on the whole Japanese pop/idol scene.

Notice the part where Naru complained she even had to do "anime voiceover work". The paparazzi bits are great. This what happens to celebs in Japan. All of this is even more funny when you realize this stuff is exactly the kind of things that happened to Yui Horie (Naru's Japanese voice actress) and the other people involved with the show.

Look at the way Kentaro creates a junior high/high school singing duo out of Shinobu and Motoko without even checking to see if they have singing talent. They're just cute. This is typical Japanese music manager thinking.

Episode 12 gives more insight into Motoko's character, her self doubts and her relationship with her sister. It helps to lay the groundwork for her later appearance. Sure it's about a fan service with getting her into girl's clothes, but it is also a funny send up of cheezy Japanese monster movies (think Mecha Godzilla).

Rewatch the disc with this in mind and you will enjoy it more

The episodes on this disc also start to lay the groundwork for things that happen later on in the series.

I give it a "highly recommended" rating with a high replay value.

Last edited by nekobus; 07-16-02 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-15-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you guys look at my other two reviews, I like this series a lot. I just felt disc 3 did not stand up to the other 2 and truly didn't move the storyline forward IMO.

I had a hard time giving it a "Rent It" rating, but it was simply not up to the other 2 DVDs IMO. I enjoyed the jokes, but the core storyline moved forward very little in the release.

These were very filler-type stories. If you want to compare this to Cowboy Bebop...CB was better even in the filler episodes. Each CB filler episode felt like it was a great self-contained episode. With Love Hina I am not getting that feeling from the episodes in disc 3.

Love Hina is a lot like Tenchi with more jokes and satire. I still like Love Hina as a whole so far, but I just did not like the quick leaps presented in these episodes (Naru becoming a pop star?). And in the end everything was basically the same as it was before with maybe a little movement in the Keitaro/Naru dynamic. I quite doubt they will reference the fact that Naru was a pop star in future episodes. I could be wrong, but I doubt they will.

As for the jokes, I got them. I even talk about the irony of Naru getting a part in an anime series that has the same basic concept as the overall Love Hina theme. Keitaro even says, "that's perverted"...funny thing is he is talking about himself.

As for future releases, I don't know what Love Hina will be. I did not jump on the digisub releases of this series, so I am going into it at ground zero, whereas you may have seen the whole series and know more than I do about them. I look forward to the rest and think it can still be great.

Last edited by AgtFox; 07-15-02 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-16-02, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

hee hee, not to give to much away, and hell it's not much to give away, but in the X-mas special, they do make a small reference to the pop star naru status.

yes, the third disc had a lot of filler and little more movement into the whole story.

As for CB, i put that there, as there was a lot of talk from folks new to anime looking for the next anime to go to after watching Cowboy bebop.. and well, just a warning, simply because.. CB is so damn great and different to some other anime out there.. I hope they don't think all anime is exactly like how Cowboy bebop was in action and pace.

At present time, it doesn't look like the two specials have any distributors for U.S. release yet. that could all change from what last I heard, but who knows.
Old 07-16-02, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by AgtFox
And in the end everything was basically the same as it was before with maybe a little movement in the Keitaro/Naru dynamic. I quite doubt they will reference the fact that Naru was a pop star in future episodes. I could be wrong, but I doubt they will.
They do reference it.

Having watched all the series on the Japanese R2 dvds, including the specials and the new OVA, I can say here is more to this series that just the Keitaro/Naru dynamic.

LH is a different type of anime than Bebop. I think your comparison to Tenchi is more in line with what people should expect.

Last edited by nekobus; 07-16-02 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-16-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
At present time, it doesn't look like the two specials have any distributors for U.S. release yet. that could all change from what last I heard, but who knows.
Episode 25 and Winter Special was announced at Anime Expo over the 4th of July weekend. However, Spring is still in question of who has it or if Bandai is just going to announce it at another time.

And nekobus, like I said...I haven't seen the whole thing. Sorry I continued to bring CB into the convo, but I'm glad the Tenchi analogy works.

I have a lot of anime series that I like, but it is hard for anything to come to the level of Cowboy Bebop because it hit on all cylinders...main story and filler. I think people have to experiment with different series and see if they like them. I like some genres in anime, but I do not necessarily like all the "great" series in those genres...people have different tastes
Old 07-16-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by nekobus
Having watched all the series on the Japanese R2 dvds, including the specials and the new OVA, I can say here is more to this series that just the Keitaro/Naru dynamic.
I realize there is more going on, but with what I have been presented with so far, there really isn't other than past history for most of the characters, along with personal growth of some characters like Mokoto.

The idea I want to make is that the rhythm seemed off with the 3rd disc. Things were going along really well and then they started coming with things from left field. I realize there is a lot of satire in the series, but there needs to be some flow going into each episode in my opinion.

Ah well, I'll wait for the 4th disc and review that and see how the series is from there.
Old 07-17-02, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by AgtFox

Episode 25 and Winter Special was announced at Anime Expo over the 4th of July weekend. However, Spring is still in question of who has it or if Bandai is just going to announce it at another time.

And nekobus, like I said...I haven't seen the whole thing. Sorry I continued to bring CB into the convo, but I'm glad the Tenchi analogy works.

I have a lot of anime series that I like, but it is hard for anything to come to the level of Cowboy Bebop because it hit on all cylinders...main story and filler. I think people have to experiment with different series and see if they like them. I like some genres in anime, but I do not necessarily like all the "great" series in those genres...people have different tastes
They will end up getting the Spring Special and the OVAs. Love Hina is too much of a cash cow for them not to get it.

Yes, there are a lot of different anime genres, but one thing to watch out for is the "Bebop" syndrome.

People see Bebop-think it's the coolest thing since sliced bread-and it becomes their frame of reference for all anime. It helps when looking at an anime to compare it to others within its genre, in addition to looking at the bigger anime picture.

As for the "rhythm being off", there is often a tendency in most of the longer anime series (24 episodes and up) for the show to wander off for a few episodes and come back later. Those episodes may or may make more sense after seeing the later ones in a series. Bebop actually has quite a bit of filler, granted it's high quality filler, but still filler (check out the Island episodes of Nadia for an example of really bad filler). I saw the Bebop movie in the theatre and the whole thing is one rather long piece of filler.

The really ironic thing about the Nara idol episode is that the songs from it were some of the most popular ones when they were sung by the VAs at the Love Hina Live concerts.
Old 07-17-02, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
As all anime series, I will wait until the box set to get it, as I got Cowboy Bebop for $100 and Neon Genesis for $90....
Old 07-18-02, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

that might be a problem. the first dvd came with a box to start putting your love hina dvd's in there as you bought them.

I'm not sure if they will re-release the box set when they are all out with the box or what. considering the lack of backing they seem to be doing compared to what they should be, I wouldn't be surprise if there was no box set of it after it all.
Old 07-18-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Bus
As all anime series, I will wait until the box set to get it, as I got Cowboy Bebop for $100 and Neon Genesis for $90....
This isn't an ADV title and they are the ones most likely to release a box after the entire series is released.

Like Jackskeleton said, the box was released with the first disc in a trial of this type of sales model. Chances of a box being released later are zip because it's already out.
Old 07-18-02, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

the box is all over the place, you should take a look for it. The first disc comes with it, and it's only slightly more with the box.

they want you to fill the box as the dvd's come out. a bit of a better idea then just waiting for all of them to be released. hell I hated ADV for NG re-releasing them all just for a box when I already bought most of them by single.
Old 07-19-02, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

heres a take from Bandai on disc 4

Love Hina

Love Hurts (V.4)

Life around the Hinata Apartments has been a bit strange since the arrival of Keitaro Urashima. But at least it’s never boring! Based on the best selling comic book series in Japan, Bandai Entertainment and Production I.G. proudly announces the next installment to the funniest love comedy of the year, Love Hina – “Love Hurts”!

Shinobu searches for life’s ultimate question! What would a person’s first kiss be like? Meanwhile, the gang at the Hinata Inn have been partying a little too much these days! With a huge bill to pay…can they find a way to earn enough money and pay off their debts? The road of love can be a bumpy one – and between Keitaro and Naru, its only going to get bumpier! When Naru stumbles across her former tutor, a tutor she had a crush on, she falls for him all over again.

Get ready for unforgettable summer at the beach!

Love Hina – “Love Hurts” features interactive animated menus, scene selection, English and Japanese language tracks, English subtitles, Dolby Digital audio, Keitaro’s Sketchbook extra, and Bandai Entertainment Previews. Be sure to check out lovehina.bandai-ent.com for more information!

English/Japanese Language

English subtitles

TRT: 100 min. / Rated 13UP

SRP: $29.98

Order Date: 6.25.2002 / Street Date: 8.6.2002
I must say, these are some funny episodes.

the kissing one is a sort of filler but has a fair amount of real story to contribute.

the second episode on the disc is basiclly everyone getting a job, offers plenty fan service and throws a new twist to the love story

the beach episode Is great. lots of fan service there with naru in a Slave Leia outfit, considered a bit more filler then a pure story line base, it offers great entertainment.

I look forward, oh hell, I'll just watch it now.
Old 07-20-02, 10:02 AM
KK

R3 Love Hina

And if you want the whole set(cheaper than the R1 release too) there is a legitamite R3 release that is on sale right now http://shop.store.yahoo.com/popular-...368500244.html
Old 07-22-02, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by nekobus
They will end up getting the Spring Special and the OVAs. Love Hina is too much of a cash cow for them not to get it.
I would guess Bandai will get these. Then again we could look at Bandai's other cash cow, Cowboy Bebop, and see that they didn't get the movie rights for Knockin' on Heaven's Door. I think major studios are really going to be going for some anime. It may be movies for now, but pretty soon they could go after series as well. If that's the case, the anime producing companies are in a pickle because they won't have the money to go up against the big boys.