Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Possible player problem w/ overheating

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-03-02, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm trying to determine whether my DVD player has an actual problem, or whether I'm just being paranoid, so thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

I have an RCA-RC5215P, which I've had for about a year and a half and up until now has worked fairly well aside from the occasional lockup. I tried to watch a DVD today, but the first problem is that the player took four tries to even acknowledge that a DVD was in the drive. Considering I wanted to watch Dinosaur, a disc I know some have had problems with, I accepted that. Then, the movie started skipping ahead a couple minutes at a time around the start of each chapter. Again, annoying but I can deal with it.

I managed to finish the movie and took the disc out, to find that the disc had gotten really, REALLY hot. I was willing to attribute that to the ridiculous heat and my lack of AC. However, when I put the tray back in, it did the preliminary read, and sounded like gears were grinding inside. I'm starting to think I have a problem.

Couple other things are also raising my suspicions. The first is that the player has been off for at least four and a half hours and it is still hot to the touch. The second is that I just checked epinions and a lot of people said that the player died after a period of time.

So, if anyone can tell me if this overheating is normal (due to lack of vents, what have you), if it can be blamed on the heat, on the fact that my digital cable box is on top of the player, or something else. More importantly, do I have a problem with the player, or is this just a quirk? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-02, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like a serious problem to me, if it stayed hot for that long.

Personally I would unplug it and start looking for a new one.
Old 07-06-02, 03:16 AM

I agree with Brian. It sounds like a major problem. It should not generate the heat you described. Coupled with the other symptoms it is definitely a sign that that it's end is near. Unplug it and look for a new one though because it sounds like it may be wanting a Viking funeral.
Old 07-08-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Possible player problem w/ overheating

Originally posted by rdogge
if it can be blamed on the heat, on the fact that my digital cable box is on top of the player
The best way to avoid overheating your components is not to stack them. My cable box gets extremely hot on its own, and I'd never put it near another component. YMMV, but in any case, having any component on top of another component is asking for trouble.

You should move the DVD player to its own well-ventilated area, although the damage may already be done.