Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Man Who Wasn't There

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

The Man Who Wasn't There

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-02, 12:08 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Man Who Wasn't There (color ?)

On a French forum it is stated that the French edition will be a 3 DVD set. The third DVD will be a "colored" version of the film !

This bonus is supposed to show us how the movie was shot. As far as I know the Coen Bro changed their mind and printed it in B&W.

All other bounuses are similar to the R1 and R2 UK.

On top of this the soundrack will be DTS for the French and English languages.

Available beginning of Sep.

Last edited by Jules Winnfield; 07-03-02 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-03-02, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The HK dvd also has the Color and Black & White version as part of a dvd set. I'm sure the French set will be better quality though. I think they knew that it was going to be black and white early on, because they talked about how they filmed things different to way they usually did due to it being black and white. If I rember correctly the main difference in shooting was pulling the camera further back than they normaly would for close ups, because having it in black and white things looked hyper-real and not quite right with their normal close-ups.
Old 07-03-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASI...843106-2331337

Amazon pre-order. I think I will pick this up with 'Mulholland Dr.'
Old 07-03-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: The Man Who Wasn't There (color ?)

Originally posted by Jules Winnfield
This bonus is supposed to show us how the movie was shot. As far as I know the Coen Bro changed their mind and printed it in B&W.
They didn't change their mind. The movie was always intended to be black & white. It was shot on color film because the quality of color film stock these days is quite superior to black & white stock (better contrast range, less grain, etc.). All they had to do was print it in black & white.
Old 07-04-02, 03:17 AM
Cool New Member

Re: Re: The Man Who Wasn't There (color ?)

Originally posted by Josh Z

They didn't change their mind. The movie was always intended to be black & white. It was shot on color film because the quality of color film stock these days is quite superior to black & white stock (better contrast range, less grain, etc.). All they had to do was print it in black & white.
Ok then there is absolutly no insterest in such bonus.
Old 07-04-02, 02:50 PM

color

Anybody out that has the R3 Universe DVD want to chime in on how good or bad the quality is, of the "color version" especially?
I assume the special features of the R1 disc (commentary, extended sequences, etc.) are NOT on this R3 release?

I've heard the R3 is pretty good quality, especially for a HK disc (please tell me if I am wrong) - and since the HK disc is cheaper than the upcoming French disc, I might just get the one that is already available......

....and, yes, the Coens always intended the film to be black and white - Roger Deakins specifically shot the film for black and white cinematography. They probably used color film stock because it is more durable (newer film processing technologies allow for less deterioration over time), but I think I read that the Coens were CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED to shoot on color film stock - so that idiots across the world, who refuse to see a film in black and white (or with the rise in national cinemas, perhaps NEVER have), will be able to see it in an inferior color composition......still it is peaks my curiousity enough to shell out $15 for it.......
Old 07-04-02, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: color

Originally posted by alsoknownasx
Anybody out that has the R3 Universe DVD want to chime in on how good or bad the quality is, of the "color version" especially?
I assume the special features of the R1 disc (commentary, extended sequences, etc.) are NOT on this R3 release?

I've heard the R3 is pretty good quality, especially for a HK disc (please tell me if I am wrong) - and since the HK disc is cheaper than the upcoming French disc, I might just get the one that is already available......

....and, yes, the Coens always intended the film to be black and white - Roger Deakins specifically shot the film for black and white cinematography. They probably used color film stock because it is more durable (newer film processing technologies allow for less deterioration over time), but I think I read that the Coens were CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED to shoot on color film stock - so that idiots across the world, who refuse to see a film in black and white (or with the rise in national cinemas, perhaps NEVER have), will be able to see it in an inferior color composition......still it is peaks my curiousity enough to shell out $15 for it.......
I don't know if you have seen this thread about the HK dvd from Asian Dvd Guide, if not here it is. They talk about the quality and extras. I'm think about maybe picking it up just to check it out in color once.

http://pub5.ezboard.com/fhongkongdvd...cID=3246.topic
Old 07-04-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The Man Who Wasn't There (color ?)

Well, there's the curiosity factor.

Not sure if this is true, but I heard that the Coens, under the threat of the distributors possibly releasing the film in color despite their wishes, intentionally created the costumes and set designs in the most garish colors possible (bright yellow suits and so forth). That might be fun to watch.

- Josh
Old 07-06-02, 03:42 PM
Cool New Member

Re: Re: Re: The Man Who Wasn't There (color ?)

Oh, you're right. I'm glad to know that my lifelong interest in cinematic techniques has been all a dream, that my interest in color ranges and tonalities and how they transfer from color to black and white didn't in fact exist.

Thanks for clearing that up for me - I was getting all confused looking forward to this disc, so I'm glad to know that I shouldn't have any interest in it after all.
Old 07-06-02, 06:44 PM

Just one question, will the French subs be removeable?
Old 08-05-02, 09:30 PM

(see above post)

Old 08-06-02, 01:44 PM

I think it's on the DVD that the European distributors demanded a colour version and so it was shot in colour but to be printed in black and white. This "colorized" version would be that European release. Not sure if it was ever released theatrically in colour, though...