Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD-R dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-02, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD-R dilemma

I am currently using the Pioneer DVR-7000 standalone DVD recorder. It works great, but I am having some trouble with the media. I ordered a bunch of Imation DVD-Rs which I am now finding out may not be so great. Out of the 14 discs I've burned, 3 have been bad.

I am in dire need of some sound advice on affordable, reliable DVD-R media. I have heard good things about Mitsui and Apples, and am even ready to try the Apples.

Does anyone here have any experience with good DVD-R media and could provide me some advice? Thank you in advance.
Old 07-01-02, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try this site:
http://www.meritline.com/dvdrblankmedia.html

I have the PVR-9000, the professional version of your DVR-7000, and I order blank DVD-R's from MERITLINE all the time.
The PIONEER DVD-R'S are great. You can buy them individually
or in a spindle. Check out the link.

Yes, the PIONEER discs cost more than your Imation ones, but you do get what you pay for.
Old 07-01-02, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So,far I've used mostly "name brand" companies. whatever happens to be on sale when I need discs - I've tried Apple, TDK, Memorex, Pioneer - and Mitsui. I've run into a few small problems, but it could be the software or the media.
Old 07-01-02, 11:47 AM

I think I'll just have to try some more kinds. Thank you
Old 09-03-02, 11:19 AM

Which Brands to buy?

Are you really getting better quality from name brand DVD-R's? I just bought a Panasonic E20 and the salesman was steering me away from the generic DVD-R blank discs and was trying to sell me the more expensive Memorex and TDK's. Comp USA sells a generic brand for $3.99. OfficeMax has a generic 5-pack on sale for $14.99. I'll pay the extra money if I'm getting better quality or assuring no problems years down the road.
Old 09-03-02, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Panasonic DVD-RAM/R drive and have been using the cheap 5 packs from CompUSA, but today I just got my spindle of 50 "OptoDisc" DVD-Rs for $50 from NewEgg. I could've just bought a couple for $2 each to test first, but I saw somewhere on the web someone said they worked fine with their drive which was the same as mine, so I took the gamble.
Old 09-03-02, 06:52 PM

All I know is that my Apple discs are working perfectly - no problems whatsoever.
Old 09-03-02, 08:48 PM

I have been using a Panasonic E30 for about three weeks and have had success with Memorex and Imation DVD-R's. I am 6 for 6 on the Imation discs. Futbol - what were you finding as a problem with the Imation discs? Did they work in the Pioneer DVR7000, but not in other DVD players or did they have problems in the Pioneer? I don't want to buy any more of them if they are developing problems. I just bought some TDK and Verbatim DVD-R's, but have not used them yet.
Old 09-03-02, 08:57 PM

They would freeze during playback on other DVD players as well as occasionally during recording on the Pioneer. One failed during writing.

Pioneer tech support said that they have discovered that Imation DVD-R's, because of the type of formatting they do, are better suited for computer drives.

Because of the problems I had with my DVR-7000, I returned it and got a DVR-104 computer drive instead. Much better success so far.
Old 09-05-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

futbol, you've made an excellent choice when you purchased the Pioneer recorder. As for the media, the Meritline.com site is an excellent resource for blank media. I have had great results with Pioneer recordables. They do cost a little more than some of the others brands, but I have yet to stumble upon an error when recording. The site has a number of Pioneer blank DVD-R's.
I hope that this helps?
Old 09-05-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My first Optodisc of the 50 worked fine. I've been using cheap cd-rs for years, no reason to change now.
Old 09-05-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD-R's are an entirely different bag. They ARE NOT created equal...trust me.
Old 09-06-02, 07:54 AM

I have a 7000 and an E20. I've had the best luck with Memorex DVD-Rs. Apples too but I can get the Memorex for a little less money. Out of about 200 I've only had 3 Memorex that wouldn't write. I send them to Memorex and they replaced them for free.

I've also tried Meritline and had ok luck. I prefer their Princo DVD-RWs. They are about $1.89 and of course are erasable. I find I have better luck playing those in other players (in video mode) than DVD-Rs. I'm sure its be cause of the actual metal content makes for better refectivity.
Old 09-08-02, 05:43 AM

I have been recording with a Samsung DVD R3000 and have been using PrimeDisc DVD-R's purchased from www.shop4tech.com. The blanks sell 25 / $41.95. I have expereinced excellent results in converting well over 100 VHS, SVHS and laserdisc to DVD-R with no failures and excellent video / audio quality.

My first project was to eliminate all my DVD flippers. I then recorded my letterbox lasderdisc and SVHS titles not available on DVD. There are several sites you can download covers or pictures to make your own covers. The end result is amazing with the quality of the video / audio exceeding the original.
Old 09-08-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Ernie, how are you accomplishing that? Even recording analogue to digital, at best you should only be to achieve an identical level of quality, and not exceed it. Are you using a line doubler or something?
Old 09-09-02, 01:40 PM

Ernie, What are some good sites where you can make your own DVD covers?
Old 09-10-02, 02:02 AM

Me thinks Ernie is embellishing. There is NO way that MPEG2 encoded material is going to "improve" upon the original source.

Having burned lots of DVD-R's with a DVR-7000...from DV and SVHS material....100% of the disks have failed to exceed the original <grin>. They do however...come close.

The only time I've ever seen a "copy" of something exceed the original...was when I first began transfering 8mm video to DV. In some cases...the DV encoder was doing some error correction/interpolation and actually "removed" some of the low light noise in the 8mm original.
Old 09-14-02, 07:28 PM

I've got a DVR-7000 and almost all my copies of LDs or VHS tapes look significantly better than the originals. You must not be using any of the noise reduction features of the 7000.
Old 09-14-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

mrwilson, you're absolutely correct. The DVR-7000 & PVR-9000 recorders have some of the best noise reduction, digital filtering
features on the market. Even better than VHS & LD's to DVD is when I use MiniDV or DVCAM direct digital masters. Wow!
Old 09-16-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by highdef
DVD-R's are an entirely different bag. They ARE NOT created equal...trust me.
Well, I'm not burning stuff like mad, but I haven't come across a bad disc yet in trying 3 cheap/generic varieties. I think the best way to decide is just to find out for yourself and buy several brands in small quantities. That's what I used to do with CD-Rs (Especially when they were $10 each). With DVD-Rs I went ahead and bit on the 50 for $50 rather than paying another $20 for 5 discs.
Old 09-16-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It also depends upon the recorder that you're using.
The better recorders tend to expose improprieties in
blank media better than others - specifically when you're concerned about creating masters from direct digital sources
like DVCAM & DVCPRO.
Old 11-05-02, 09:58 AM

Stay away from Sony brand DVD-R blank media! They are the worst I've tried to date. I bought a bunch at Compusa during a huge sale and they are junk. Loads of pixelating problems no matter what the recording speed. I am using a Panasonic E20. I've had no problems with Memorex, TDK, or Panasonic DVD-R's.
Old 11-05-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've only used Memorex DVD-Rs, only one disc wouldn't play on a freind's player.

I've used Memorex, Philips, Sony and Verbatim DVD+Rs and DVD+RWs, no problems at all.

I'm using a Panasonic E20 and a Philips DVDR985. Everything plays on my Sony players except of course DVD-RAM which I never use.