Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So - what did you think about Lilo & Stitch?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok - it's been out, so you've had a chance to see it.

I saw it last night (and I haven't seen AOTC or Spiderman - shame on me, I still plan to).

I thought it was cute. I enjoyed it. That's really all I need in a movie.

Was it great? Thought provoking? Not really.

But I had fun.

Probably the most fun at a traditional Disney animation since Tarzan.

How about you?
Old 06-30-02, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brilliant.
Hilarious.
Heartwarming.
FUN!

Old 06-30-02, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm looking forward to seeing it this week.

I'm sure I will enjoy it.
Old 06-30-02, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I'm looking forward to seeing it this week.

I'm sure I will enjoy it.
We can talk about it at dinner on July 6....
Old 06-30-02, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I made an animated gif for it....

Old 06-30-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was the first animated disney movie (non-Pixar) that I've liked since Lion King.
Old 06-30-02, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WildcatLH
It was the first animated disney movie (non-Pixar) that I've liked since Lion King.
Intriguing - there's quite a few inbetween... why?
Old 06-30-02, 11:46 PM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was the first animated Disney movie I've liked in a while (not counting the Pixar movies). Granted I would have like to have seen the little fella get up and cause a little more havoc, or maybe actually talk a little more in the movie rather than just at the end, but that's how it goes I guess.
Old 07-01-02, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought it was a pretty good movie although I thought the animation lacked a lot of detail in some scenes -- I could swear I've seen more detail in episodes of Duck Tales.

But, I thought it was pretty good and it was nice to see Disney take some risks with stories.
Old 07-01-02, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Seeker

Intriguing - there's quite a few inbetween... why?
Partially because their "historical" movies infuriate me. And I dunno why else. Even discounting the gross historical innacuracies (and considering the non-"historical" movies), none of them clicked with me. Of course, to each his own.
Old 07-01-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this almost had me in tears.
Old 07-01-02, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - that was a bit "choke up" wasn't it?

Spoiler:
especially the plaintive "I'm lost" by Stitch given we hadn't really heard him speak much up to that point.
Old 07-01-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How old is Lilo supposed to be in this movie?

She could be almost anywhere from 3-9 depending on how you wanted to view her... (yeah, 3 and 9 are a stretch, but she's in there somewhere!)
Old 07-01-02, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How old is Lilo supposed to be in this movie?

She could be almost anywhere from 3-9 depending on how you wanted to view her... (yeah, 3 and 9 are a stretch, but she's in there somewhere!)
they don't say. but in the ending montage it looks like there's a shot of her getting on the bus for her first day of school(?).. least that's what i thought..
Old 07-01-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - that was a bit "choke up" wasn't it?

Spoiler:
especially the plaintive "I'm lost" by Stitch given we hadn't really heard him speak much up to that point.
yup. very much reminded me of the last shot of monsters inc. very subtle, yet very powerful. i was with a girl when i went to see it so i had to "stay strong" wahaha.
Old 07-01-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pixyboi

they don't say. but in the ending montage it looks like there's a shot of her getting on the bus for her first day of school(?).. least that's what i thought..
five or six works.
Old 07-01-02, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm hearing that this movie is paying some hommage to an older style of animation, which may account for the lack of crispness.

this was brought to you by the same people who made mulan. mulan was a very good movie until someone decided to extend it. i really did enjoy this. it's too bad it's not gonna do terribly well. really too bad.
Old 07-01-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only time I REALLY noticed the "simple" animation was when the guy was doing the fire dance, and the audience was TOTALLY still - just a picture in the background.
Old 07-01-02, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pdinosaur
i'm hearing that this movie is paying some hommage to an older style of animation, which may account for the lack of crispness.

this was brought to you by the same people who made mulan. mulan was a very good movie until someone decided to extend it. i really did enjoy this. it's too bad it's not gonna do terribly well. really too bad.
77 million in two weeks - you think it's going to tank now?

It might... I don't know...

but it is really worth seeing.
Old 07-02-02, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really loved it. I think it's the best thing Disney's done since Aladdin and The Lion King. It's definately a classic.

The line that really chokes me up is:
Spoiler:

Stitch (asked who these people are): My family. I found them. All on my own. It's little... and broken... but still good. Yeah. Still good.
Old 07-02-02, 03:08 AM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

it was what shrek should have been. it had jokes, a bit funnier then shrek, and it had heart. shrek was an empty comedy with a joke for an end:P

and if you havn't seen it already

i found this review pretty interesting since its from geniune hawaiians

auau

Aloha ka~kou (Aloha to All of Us),

Yesterday, with great anticipation -- yes, with bated breaths -- we, my husband and I who were born in Hawai`i fifty years ago and raised there, went to see LILO AND STITCH at our local theatre, hoping for its unmitigated success and yet knowing it could be yet another dirty bomb unwittingly directed against the Hawaiian culture.

We were utterly impressed with LILO & STITCH's shining truth and loved and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the galactic high adventure and its down-to-Earth (literally) endearing story, brimming full of Aloha of the real, day-to-day variety, not the syrupy, touristy stuff. Having been raised with Disney movies, ourselves, we were delighted with its high caliber Disney feel and animation mastery, especially the stunningly gorgeous water-color visuals of our homeland.

Co-directors Chris Sanders, Dean DeBlois and producer Clark Spencer bolstered our faith in the next generation of moviemakers. I dare say that they are uniquely enlightened young people, wise beyond their years. Certainly, this movie is not yet another run-of-the-mill, Hawaiian-themed fantasy that my generation has come to expect out of Hollywood. We've seen, rolled our eyes upward, and laughed at the ludicrousness of too many hurriedly slapped together movies based on deluded, overly-dramatized or white-washed, idealized visions and versions of Hawaiian culture and its people.

Instead, it was clearly evident to us that the research that went into LILO AND STITCH was done with thoroughness, sincerity, concern and care.

The result? A movie with a huge sensitivity, concern and Aloha for our endangered Hawaiian and local culture, which, with a combination of "attitude" and sweetness, captures the authentic spirit and genuine warmth, and inner and outer beauty of Hawai`i, especially its unique Aloha Spirit and valuing of `ohana (family).

For those inclined, if you wish to learn more about `ohana from a person who grew up with the concept: http://www.geocities.com/sptmbrmrn/121701.htm

In its unique, far-reaching way, LILO and STITCH -- and Disney -- will help to perpetuate Hawaiian ways, beingness, and arts, as well as our one-of-a-kind local culture. I loved the snippets of pidgin, for most of us, our first language. Tia Carrere and Jason Scott Lee were perfect in their voice roles as Nani and Kawika (David). For a change, true locals playing local roles with every truthful and subtle nuance.

Loving Hawaiian music as I do, I am particularly grateful for the inclusion of authentic Hawaiian musicianry: the mesmerizing, lively chants by real-life Hawaiian chanter, Mark Keali`i Ho`omalu, were right-on. The casting of real-life kumu hula (hula master)Kunewa Mook as the voice of the hula teacher in the movie was exactly pono (right and proper); his input on depicting hulas as it is actually danced, and not the swishy hula gibberish of past Hollywood movies was greatly appreciated by us, his peers.

And singing by the Kamehameha Schools Children's Chorus -- you must have indigenous blood to go to school there -- could not have been truer or more delightful. Ahh.... I am going out to buy the CD ASAP!

Of course, we grew up with Elvis' classic tunes, so we absolutely loved the resurrection of his songs as well as Wynonna's rendition of "Burning Love." A perfect balance to the Hawaiian music. Pono , which means not only right and proper, but balanced.

We spotted only one glaring mistake: the shakkah ("all is cool") sign as depicted in the movie at the end. They got the fingers right, but the way they did it, it's only half of the shakkah sign. As it was, it stopped as the Texas Longhorn symbol. Locals then swivel their wrist, 180 degrees, completing the local sign with the BACK of the hand toward the viewer. Oh well, as we say in Hawai`i: "Ain't no big t'ing, braddah" as the moviemakers can fix that faux pas for the video version.

A big MAHALO (THANK YOU) to all involved, viewers included, who make LILO & STITCH the sharing movie it is. Spread the Aloha.

Me ke Aloha,
AU/AD
http://hawaiianlanguage.com
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/forum...3357#post512811
Old 07-02-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the review - the more I think about this movie, the more i like it.

And for me, I feel the same about Mulan... (which the folks who did Lilo also did.)

I like movies that I like initially, then like MORE as I review and think about them.
Old 07-02-02, 02:24 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was a wonderful funny movie. Definitely deserves the great reviews. Like someone else mentioned one of the few Disney animated films not from Pixar that I've absolutely enjoyed.

-BT

I want a Stitch doll now!
Old 07-02-02, 03:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by BT
It was a wonderful funny movie. Definitely deserves the great reviews. Like someone else mentioned one of the few Disney animated films not from Pixar that I've absolutely enjoyed.

-BT

I want a Stitch doll now!
I got one! First time I'd been in a Disney store in about a decade. I went in specifically to buy a Stitch doll. It's big and it was $16. There are smaller ones that go for $8. I think it was money well spent.
Old 07-02-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'll get a Stitch doll too - hopefully it has four arms, and two can be "punched into" the doll...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.