Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Panasonic dvd rv22k - phantom player!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-02, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife got me this player from Costco - it looks like it has all the good stuff - digital decoder, DTS, CDr, CDRW

Problem is that I can't find it anywhere on the Net! Even Panasonic's own web site! No reviews or anything. I am weary of hooking up such a phantom player but my old sony is lousy and I am dying to replace. Can any of you help me out and ID this player as good or not. How can Panasonic not acknowledge its own product!!! Thanks
Old 06-28-02, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Panasonic makes an RV32K, it is their entry level unit I believe. If it's like any other Panasonic product, they change the numbers when a newer model is announced. So, the RV22K could just be the older version of the RV32K but you are correct... I ran a search and found no info on a RV22K.
Old 06-28-02, 12:25 PM

Thank you - I'm not crazy! If they did update it - why would there not be any info on the older model? This is just strange - like it never existed - do you think I should look for another player - it was $130 so I could get the cash and get another player.

I actually am looking for a very good 5 disc player - I would throw in some extra money for that. Any good ones out there around $200 that are good and not the sloppy ones I read about?
Old 06-28-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, one would think that even if it was an update, there would be at least something somewhere on the net about the older version... So, I'm at a loss there.

5 disc... Depends really. I'm not much of an expert on those but I do know that Panasonic makes a 5 disc changer for under $200. It's not a progressive scan player, if that matters at all to you. Sony also makes a 5 disc changer that comes in at $250 or so I believe. Those are the only two brands of players that I have ever used (single disc players) and have experienced no problems at all from either... Although, Sony does have the chroma bug problem, Panasonic does not.

Toshiba also makes a 5 disc changer for under $200 but I can't help you there, I've never owned a Toshiba product. Couldn't hurt to ask around here, or run a search, there are plenty of Toshiba owners on these boards.
Old 06-28-02, 01:05 PM
bjv

You might want to consider Panasonic DVD-CV52. I own one. It's 5 disc changer and pretty good. I am quite happy so far.Circuit city's in store price is $179.99.
Old 06-28-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's 32

The 22K appears to be a rebadged 32. Electronic companies will sometimes change the model number when using different distribution channels like Costco.

Compare the pics and features of the 22 on Costco's site with the 32 on Panasonic's site.

The 32 is a pretty nice player.
Old 06-28-02, 09:12 PM

You were right! It was the RV32 packagedas a RV22! After your post I examined the RV32 on CNET and it was the same. the reviews looked good so I decided to give it a shot. Great player! Blew my sony away with better pic and sound! Plus it plays CDRW - Sony did not! I am now using digital sound. It sounds great - more up front with back support than evenly distributed 5 channels - is this correct?

THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE!!!!!! I OWE YOU!!!