Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Scream Japanese Director's Cut

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-02, 06:31 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heared about the japanese Scream Director's Cut DVD about 1 year ago but i couldn't find it anywhere yet. Can anyone give me any advice where i can possibly get it?

thanks a lot
Old 06-22-02, 07:01 PM

I just checked at CDJapan and it appears that even the reissue is out of print now... sorry! Check eBay, every once in awhile one turns up there. That's where I got mine.
Old 06-22-02, 07:42 PM

According to their website, Sazuma has it in stock. Not cheap (US $43) but if you want it badly enough.... Do a search for Scream and click on the "Scream (1996, Wes Craven) (Jewel case)" link, which is the R2 version you seek. Also, someone from the UK seems to be selling it on fleabay (as Scream W/S R2 DVD), but no way to tell if it's the same version; last I saw the bid was up around $10.
Old 06-22-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by norm949
According to their website, Sazuma has it in stock. Not cheap (US $43) but if you want it badly enough.... Do a search for Scream and click on the "Scream (1996, Wes Craven) (Jewel case)" link, which is the R2 version you seek.
Sazuma is one of the most notoriously unreliable retailers on the web. That a disc is listed as in stock on their web site is in no way an indication that they actually have it in stock.

Order from them at your own risk.
Old 06-22-02, 08:16 PM

If you don't mind the expensive FedEx shipping, try www.hmv.co.jp too - they might have it.
Old 06-22-02, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by norm949
According to their website, Sazuma has it in stock. Not cheap (US $43) but if you want it badly enough.... Do a search for Scream and click on the "Scream (1996, Wes Craven) (Jewel case)" link, which is the R2 version you seek. Also, someone from the UK seems to be selling it on fleabay (as Scream W/S R2 DVD), but no way to tell if it's the same version; last I saw the bid was up around $10.
Avoid Sazuma at all costs. There service is horrendous! As for the R2 version at eBay, since the seller is in the UK it's likely the PAL R2 disc which is the UK theatrical version, not the director's cut which is only available in R2 Japan which is NTSC.
Old 06-23-02, 06:52 PM

Unless of course the eBay seller in the UK has the Danish version.
Old 06-23-02, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...or the French édition collector...

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=3708

. . . . . .
Old 06-23-02, 11:22 PM

You sure about that Hendrik? www.dvdcompare.org.uk indicates the VF is the theatrical cut.
Old 06-23-02, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...well... the French CE DVD (which, incidentally, has 'locked' French subtitles when the OST is selected) is listed on the dvdfr site (whether correctly or not, I don't know) as being 118 minutes... whereas the dvdrama review of the CE mentions 111 minutes (whether correctly or not, I don't know) and mentions, in passing, that this is the 'version courte' with (all of) 15 seconds (of gore) removed...

http://www.dvdrama.net/fiche.php?1667

...the rewind reviews mention no running times at all, but specifically mention that the (probably 15 seconds referred to above) were cut to allow the movie to get an R rating, so that therefore none of the versions reviewed by them - including the Japanese one (which, by the way does not have a dts soundtrack, whereas the French disc - which is also anamorphic - does!) and also including the Danish one - as I was saying, none of the versions reviewed by rewind is "cut" - at least in the sense that all a person buying the ridiculously high-priced Japanese DVD would get to see would be all of 15 bloody seconds extra gore...

...if I've been talking through my hat all this time, don't blame me, blame the purveyors of information - or possibly misinformation - referred to above... all I did was quote what I read on those sites...

...for comparison: the German DVD, rated 16, is listed at a cool 103 minutes - now that is what I would call "cut" (I am certain of this, since the German glasnost site makes a point of specifically and clearly warning their customers that the movie is cut) (NOTE: the Germans are famous for drastically chopping up "16"-rated films, and are not allowed to advertise, let alone sell, "18"-rated DVDs over the internet without irrefutable proof - certified copies of passport, birth certificate, bank statements, etc. - that the potential buyer is indeed 18 or older)...

. . . . . .

(thinks) I should get a life, I should!...

Last edited by Hendrik; 06-24-02 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-24-02, 11:28 PM

It's in stock at amazon.co.jp, and appears to be the version with both the theatrical and Director's cut.

5600 yen via international economy = roughly $45 US shipped.

I think Sazuma is $43 without shipping.

-Zutton
Old 02-27-04, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So rather that create a new thread. I will post here.

Since I can't find the Japanese release anywhere. I did see the Korean release on yesasia.com. Is that the uncut version? Is the soundtrack decent/tolerable or terrible sounding? How is the picture quality?

I have the uncut version on laserdisc & it DOES make a difference. Not only those brief moments of added blood,but the soundtrack is MUCH louder & fully of atmosphere than the R rated cut,since they had to lower it down a notch or get an NC-17 from the MPAA.

So if this terrific soundmix is atrocious on the Japanese or Korean release,regardless if the film is uncut or not. It is not worth owning.
Old 02-27-04, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think the Korean release is the director's cut either.

I have the DTS version from Australia. The sound is great as is the picture.
Old 02-27-04, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by Bill Geiger I have the DTS version from Australia
Me too
Old 03-03-04, 08:58 AM

I am trying to decide between the Japanese director's cut and the Australian theatrical cut. I know the Australian version has the better picture and sound but is the Japanese dvd's quality really that bad? I have read the threads about the Japanese version having both the theatrical and director's cut on the same disc which reduces the quality. Any opinions you can give would be appreciated.
Old 03-03-04, 09:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
a tad confused here, the Austrailian version has a DTS track and and its uncensored? right?
Old 03-03-04, 09:11 AM

no Giles, if that was the case I would get the Australian without question because it has the better audio/video. As I understand it the R4 Australian is the U.S. Theatrical R-rated cut. The Japanese dvd is the Director's Cut that has some extra violence that had to be cut in the U.S. to get a R rating.
Old 03-03-04, 09:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
how is that the Australian version is the R-rated cut when foreign market prints should be the unrated cut (as is the Japanese print of the film). Why should a MPAA approved/censored cut of the film become the de facto foreign print when the MPAA ratings should and only apply for US theatrical release of the film?
Old 03-03-04, 09:36 AM

I really don't know. I would like opinions on which one to get. I know I can get the Australian for about $10-$15 dollars cheaper than the Japanese dvd. I guess I'm asking is the Director's Cut worth having a little worse audio/video.

Last edited by welb25; 03-03-04 at 09:54 AM.