DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Yes Symphonic Live

Old 06-19-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Symphonic Live

This is Yes' best DVD to date

Tech specs: 2 discs, DTS & DD 5.1 sound (concert only), 16:9 anamorphic widescreen, multi-angles. Concert on disc 1, commentary and Don't Go video on disc 2

The DTS soundtrack is great: during the climax of Würm, I thought my living room was going to achieve lift-off The orchestra, mostly a group of twenty-somethings, is clearly enjoying themselves, as is keyboardist Tom Brislin, another youngster, who seems to be a bit of a Yes freak. Brislin stays true to the original albums, adding textures that were often overlooked by Rick Wakeman's dazzle. Regarding the orchestra: if you are thinking staid and stuffy, think again. This lot swings!

Gates Of Delirium and Ritual alone are worth the purchase price. Owner Of A Lonely Heart, however, seems rather out of place: the reading is perfunctory and it just doesn't fit the atmosphere created by the masterworks and Magnification material. I was slightly disappointed by the tone of Howe's guitar - seemed rather thin, particularly during Close To The Edge and the intro to Gates

Video is very well done: smooth transfer, plenty of close-ups for all the musos, and none of the cheesy graphics that infested KTA (there is an intrusive icon which periodically appears in the lower left corner indicating angles and animations that can be turned on - fortunately, it can be turned off)

Last edited by Illinois Enema Bandit; 06-20-02 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-20-02, 07:17 PM
RVN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Yes Symphonic Live

Originally posted by Illinois Enema Bandit
This is Yes' best DVD to date
We're gonna hold ya to that claim. Sounds real good! Mine's on order.

Thanks
Old 07-01-02, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Yes Symphonic Live

Originally posted by RVN

We're gonna hold ya to that claim. Sounds real good! Mine's on order.

Thanks
I watched it this weekend and it is awesome. Incredible sound and the addition of the orchestra adds so much!!!