Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Our Lady Peace - Gravity

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Our Lady Peace - Gravity

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-02, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our Lady Peace - Gravity

Just wondering if anyone else picked up the new Our Lady Peace record, GRAVITY. I have been an OLP fan since the beginning, but i must admit that with the last two albums, my interest had been waining, as they seemed to be stuck in a very familiar rut... songs too similiar to each other...both of those records could have been combined to create one pretty good album, and one album of filler... but now, GRAVITY comes out and all is forgiven.

This album is excellent. It starts with two rockers that kick start the album well and set up the rest of the disc... there are some classic olp slow tracks, but then there are some great rocking songs, very good lyrics and very melodic. All ten songs are solid, with no filler tracks. If you're an OLP fan or ever were one, you should enjoy this record, I know I sure do...

MATT

the only thing i don't like about this record is the cover... olp covers are usually pretty cool, but this standard rock band shot is crap...pure crap...

Last edited by mdc3000; 06-20-02 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-19-02, 04:51 PM

I have a slightly opposite opinion.

I LOVED "Spiritual Machines". Even though I don't really care for concept albums, this one I really grew to love. "Happiness...." was sort of touch and go, I will agree on that one. There were some great songs, such as "Thief", but also had its share of filler.

I bought "Gravity" yesterday and I have only listened to it once, so my opinions may not be solid right now. First impressions...I wasn't that impressed. It's almost a return to their style on "Naveed", only not as good. Seems like they're trying too hard on this one. I can't really pick out good songs or bad songs right now, since I haven't listened to it enough. All I can say is that I found myself becoming bored during some songs, while some were great upon first listen, especially the first two. The boring songs may grow on me, but I'm lumping this one in the "Happiness..." category for now.
Old 06-19-02, 06:07 PM

I think their first album is their best but I have yet to hear anything off the new one. Damn AG!
Old 06-20-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I've got a different opinion too. I personally think each one of their albums has been better than the previous... until Gravity. That's not to say it's not a good album, I've been through it twice and I think it's good with some definite potential to grow on me. On the other hand, I'd be amazed if they ever topped Spiritual Machines. I'm not real big on lists, but if I was forced to make one, I'm guessing SM would be in my top 10 (favorites of course). On a side note, I've been into OLP for about five years now and have never had the chance to see them live. They're coming on to Indy on July 5 and I've got my ticket. Any fans out there want to give me a run down of how good they are on stage?
Old 06-20-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by maxfisher
On a side note, I've been into OLP for about five years now and have never had the chance to see them live. They're coming on to Indy on July 5 and I've got my ticket. Any fans out there want to give me a run down of how good they are on stage?
I've seen them twice, once on the Summersault tour shortly before Spiritual machines came out and one time since that... THEY WERE AMAZING. They put on a very energetic live show that will blow you away. I was expecting them to be good, but not THAT good... I'm sure you will love the show...

MATT