Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Jerry Cantrell - Degradation Trip

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-02, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to see if anyone else picked this up today. It's simply amazing. Many have said that if Alice in Chains had an album in 2002, this easily could have been it.

He still has it, I loved his first solo effort "Boggy Depot" but this one is even better. Has a darker more AIC feel to it, with classic Cantrell riffs and solos.

As the founding member and primary song writer for Alice in Chains, it should be no surprise.

And let me be the first to say. During a couple of moments on the record, I'm nearly certain that Layne is doing background vocals. It's creepy, yet amazing.

Check it out, I highly recommend it!

Old 06-18-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked it up this morning. I've listened to the first four tracks and WOW is this a good one. Definitely worth the wait! I agree about his vocals sounding VERY similar to Layne's. I'm pretty sure Cantrell just multi-tracked his own backing vocals, but there is an uncanny resemblance to Staley's voice. Whenever I listen to "Boggy Depot" I have to remind myself that Cantrell sung the songs, not Layne.
Old 06-18-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Degredation Trip just came ot today?!?!?! I thought this has been out already as I grabbed it almost 4 months ago. Anyway...great album.
Old 06-18-02, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pardon me for being an idiot, but i thought the guy who died recently was the main singer for aic. i actually thought that jerry cantrell at first sounded like a aic clone, but now that he was the major member of the group, i might now pick it up.
Old 06-18-02, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rypro 525
pardon me for being an idiot, but i thought the guy who died recently was the main singer for aic. i actually thought that jerry cantrell at first sounded like a aic clone, but now that he was the major member of the group, i might now pick it up.
Layne Staley was the lead singer of AIC. Jerry Cantrell was their guitarist and their principal songwriter. However, he has always provided substantial vocal contribution to the band's songs (a big instance...he sings the verses of "Would?"). However, his voice does sound quite a bit like Staley's.
Old 06-18-02, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, Jerry is responsible for Alice in Chains, pretty much wrote the bulk of the music and lyrics. Great guitarist, and sang in many tracks.

He and Layne's voices are very similar and complemented each other very much.

I can't stress enough just how awesome this album is.

WOW!
Old 06-18-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by palebluedot
Degredation Trip just came ot today?!?!?! I thought this has been out already as I grabbed it almost 4 months ago. Anyway...great album.
I resisted that tempation so I would have something new this month
Old 06-26-02, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw Jerry open for Metallica in 98...he was the best part of the concert in my opinion.
Old 06-26-02, 01:59 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by KnightLerxst
I saw Jerry open for Metallica in 98...he was the best part of the concert in my opinion.
I saw that tour as well. I remember he covered a Pink FLoyd song (which for the life of me I cant remember) which sounded awesome.
Old 06-26-02, 05:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought this album and I was very impressed. It's a much better album than "Boggy Depot". "Boggy Depot" is difficult to listen and "Degredation Trip" is much more easier to listen to with more catchier songs. Amazing record. The reason this album sounds more Alice In Chains kind of side is that, this album is dedicated to Layne.
Old 06-26-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
did any one in western NY see him at Darien Lake?
according to some people that called into Shredd and Reagan on 103.3 The Edge he acted kind of like an egotistical dick
Old 06-27-02, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I like it. It drags in spots (I don't get his fascination with REALLY slow, plodding riffs), but it is definitely a good album.

Some of the songs are absolutely great ("Anger Rising" "Angel Eyes," "Locked On," etc), but some seem pretty - well, slow and plodding. Like most albums with more than 11 songs you get a couple that you would prefer that the artist/band left off.

Overall you've got to give it good marks, though. This could have been a new Alice In Chains album. That kind of makes me wonder - was any of this written with Alice In Chains in mind? Most of the album was written long before Layne Staley died, and it had been a long time since the last AIC album, so who knows?

I was impressed enough to play songs from this album on my "internet radio show" (see my sig below - show #38, and in a week or two on show #39), so I really do like it.

Hell, it's worth buying for "Anger Rising" and "Angel Eyes" alone!
Old 06-27-02, 11:50 AM

Mike, are you sure that you aren't thinking about the Shredd and Regan interview with JC? If so, he became a d!ck when they asked him if Layne was okay (this was at least a year ago), and he got all pissed off and the interview went south from there.
Old 06-27-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
they also mentioned the interview, and some of the callers said they thought JC acted bad at the show because he now has some sort of grudge against buffalo because of shredd and regan. I think they said he kept saying stuff to the crowd that they weren't getting into the show enough or something after each song. I wasn't there, just trying to find out if the people calling in were accurate