Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Austinites: Saw Doctors 6/25 Cactus Cafe

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-02, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A great time with a great band! They haven't played here since SXSW in 95 and they've come all the way from the small Galway county town of Tuam, so don't miss 'em.

Say hello...I might buy ya a pint!

Reviews so far from the short June tour:

"I saw the band at the Los Angeles Irish Fair on the 16th. My first time, and they were so fabulous. Now I know what all the fuss is about. Had a great time. They are so exciting, great music, and they obviously love their jobs."

"They were amazing! Even with the awful heat, they kept me dancing. Looking forward to seeing them next time! Come back soon, guys!"

"Great rockin' gig last night in Petaluma!! Not a huge crowd but it was enough to fill the floor with plenty of room to strut yer stuff and the crowd got into it and the lads seemed to have a rollickin' good auld knees up. Most of the people at the gig had travelled to it from other places, there were people who'd traveled from Alameda, Tracy, San Jose, San Francisco, and Millbrae but to name a few and there were even a few people who'd travelled down from Tahoe!!! I'm sure there must've been some folks there who actually lived in Petaluma, but I didn't meet any of them meself."

Review from the UK in April:

De Montfort Hall
"Deep down, everyone wants to be Irish. Admit it. St Patrick’s Day is a lot more fun than any other saint’s day, Dublin is ten times better than London and there’s just something about that accent that turns everyone’s legs to jelly. This could explain the popularity of Ireland’s finest folk-rock exports The Saw Doctors, but that would be unfair to one of the most energetic and dynamic rock bands to emerge from the Emerald Isle in recent years.

With a Channel 4 documentary, two top-twenty singles and TOTP appearances to their name, The Saw Doctors are no strangers to this nation’s media. However, in recent years they have been ignored by the musical establishment in the UK, having to rely solely on touring and worth of mouth to publicise their most recent album ‘Villains’.

At half-past eight the Saw Doctors took to the stage to a huge welcome and launched straight into ‘Good News’. This was swiftly followed up by the happy-go-lucky rock of ‘Exhilarating Sadness’ and ‘All The One’. After this we were treated to Leo Moran’s tribute to Tommy Kavanagh, a Tuam DJ who defied the bishop in the 60s, entitled 'Tommy K'. This involved the audience dancing along with a YMCA-style dance which, considering a large percentage of the audience were over 30, an awful lot of people joined in with. It was then that I realised what makes the Saw Doctors so popular – they are fun. It’s quite simple. They enjoy chatting to the audience, they play songs about fast-food therapy after a night of rejection ('Chips') and stompathon tracks about cloning ('My DNA is Not For Sale'). After two hours the band leave the stage and the sound of the crowd is deafening. They haven’t finished enjoying themselves, and obviously neither have the Docs as they are back out and playing within a few minutes. They play another seven songs, including ‘Bless Me Father’ in which lead singer Davey Carton manages to convince every bloke in the audience that he is sleeping with their missus every second Wednesday, despite being the sweatiest man in rock – how?!!! The band finish on a barnstorming version of 'Hay Wrap' and the crowd, quite rightly, go bananas!

After two and a half hours they leave the stage, safe in the knowledge that another town has been conquered, Saw Doctors style."

Last edited by Thumbs; 06-17-02 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-18-02, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw the Saw Doctors a couple of months ago. My wife and I had tickets to see Over the Rhine that night, but they cancelled due to a sickness. So, we headed over to another venue to see Saw Doctors. I have one of their recordings and love it. They were pretty good in concert, but I wasn't blown away (and this surprised me). I think that night I was in the mood for something a bit crazier on stage or even MORE Irish, like the Pogues. Probably I'm just a bit jaded... but they ARE a good band.
Old 06-18-02, 07:35 AM

Which record do you have? How/Where did you hear about them?
Old 06-18-02, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have "All The Way From Tuam ". I found it in a pawn shop for $4.00 about a week after someone from another forum mentioned them. I like this kind of music... another good band is The Electrics. I now know this CD is kind of hard to find unless you wanna pay an import price. A cool piece of trivia is that the Saw Doctors have the biggest single of all time in Ireland. That's amazing considering Van Morrisson and U2.