DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Mothman Prophecies

Old 06-16-02, 05:01 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mothman Prophecies

Who has seen this movie on DVD? What is it like? Is it good? Is it worth buying?
Old 06-16-02, 07:48 AM
Banned

Yes definetly, it's very spooky and mysterious, builds up to something and actually delivers, I get goose bumps thinking about it, it's very very good, quality movie and a quality dvd, though not that many extras, didn't make much money.
Old 06-16-02, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not much extras, but if you are going to buy it for the show, it is worth the purchase. Have watched it three times this week, and has an X-files feel to it. The ending was really good too.
Old 06-16-02, 09:15 AM
Cool New Member

What about the soundtrack? I've heard it's good.
Old 06-16-02, 12:57 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I thought the flick had more potential than it delievered, but still recommend it ... here's my review for DVDTalk. You can find an on-going discussion here.
Old 06-17-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this dvd has a very good soundtrack and a exellent anamorphic picture (i am not an expert at these things so i cant tell what is rq and what is crap.)
Old 06-18-02, 05:23 AM
Cool New Member

Another question: how much of the Mothman do we see in the film? I realize the critter is never shown in full; but, from what can be seen, is it a decent-looking creature?
Old 06-18-02, 08:26 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by Mothman
from what can be seen, is it a decent-looking creature?
No. Freezeframe at 7:28 and laugh your ace off.
Old 06-18-02, 11:56 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Just watched the disc. Nice transfer and nice moody score. The film itself was rather disappointing though.
Old 06-19-02, 09:51 AM
Banned

I thought the "Mothman Prophecies" was an effective chiller with a cool ending. I preferred Gere's recent film "Unfaithful" though.

I'd recommed picking it up though.
Old 06-19-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched this last night. I liked it a lot more than I thought it would. I'll be picking this up eventually.
Old 06-19-02, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great rental, I can't say I would watch it over and over again. Watch it twice with a rental and you will have the movie down. I thought it was more of an X-File type movie than it was scary. It got to the point when I said, "OK, lets get to the end of the movie and tell us what all the dreams mean".
Old 06-20-02, 12:20 PM
Cool New Member

Ok,. could someone plz tell me what happened at the end. I fell asleep cuz I was tired and it was like 3am when I watched it at a friends house. It was a rental so I never got a chance to watch it again doh.
Old 07-08-02, 08:46 PM
Cool New Member

After finally watching The Mothman Prophecies, I must say I am pleased with the film. I settled down to watch it with the same apprehension that I had before I watched Lord of the Rings. I was afraid that some director had taken a story that I had enjoyed reading for years and botched it up, turning it into one of the many mindless flicks that are stinking up theaters today. With both Mothman and Rings, I was impressed. It has been a long time since I have actually enjoyed a movie in the theater enough to decide I want to buy it, or even see it again.

I think what has gained people's interests in the Mothman is the fact that the movie is based on true events. I'm not saying that I actually believe 100 % that everything in the movie was exact. Dr. Leek's ideas about Mothman in the movie, which illustrate many of John Keel's own theories about the creature, can't be proven. But as Jerome Clark wrote in, Unexplained, the Mothman has a lot going for it: more than most of other the other weird things people claim to encounter.

My rating of the film: good, competent acting, believable characters and special affects, and a tasteful soundtrack that fits the movie. A very unique psychological thriller/science fiction flick based on true events.
Old 07-09-02, 05:22 AM
Cool New Member

Ok,. could someone plz tell me what happened at the end. I fell asleep cuz I was
Near the end of the film, John receives a phone call (as he was told) at noon. He doesn't pick up the phone. Instead, he throws it across the room after ripping it out of the wall. To his horror, it continues to ring, even without electricity or an active line. Never the less, he quickly leaves his home and returns to Point Pleasant. After that, the Silver Bridge goes into the Ohio River, taking many lives and deputy with it. John manages to save her from drowning, and she learns the importance of her dream. The end.

What struck me the most about the strange phone call that John never answers, is that Indrid Cold told him it would be from his wife. She would call at noon, he said. John went home for this call. Before he decides to rip the phone off the hook, the sees a picture of his dead wife next to the phone as it rings. As soon as he leaves the house, the phone stops ringing, and we see a close up of the picture. In the eye of the photo, a light goes out, and before it does, a strange winged figure seems to fade from it. I wonder if Mary was indeed calling on John, just as she did when she appeared to the deputy. When John chose to leave and move on, she stopped calling.
Old 07-09-02, 05:18 PM

Mothman,
BIG SPOLIERS.........................

As I understand the film, that was NOT Mary calling. It was Ingrid Cold taunting Kline. If Kline answered he would have talked to someone that sounded like Mary but it would have been IC. Kline would have been left as lonely and heart broken as ever. Then he would have turned on the news and heard about the bridge collapse and that Connie who he had started to care for was the "37th" victim and been left as devistated as Dr. Leeks.

But instead he let Mary and the past go and was in time to save the Connie. As for the photo, I always felt that was meant to suggest that Mary was also contacting Kline to help him let go and find away to be happy without her. To steer him toward the Connie. If you listen very carefully after the collapse when Kline is watching the Connie's truck sink into the water you can hear Mary's voice whisper "Jump" which prompted him to save Sheriff Connie.
Old 08-31-02, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually saw this movie tonight and really enjoyed it. Also not a movie I would buy because of the lack of features, but the story and the acting were really great.

I really wanted a "true stories" documentary on mothman and that would have made this a definate "buy" in my book.
Old 08-31-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by G. Noel Gross

No. Freezeframe at 7:28 and laugh your ace off.
Would anyone be good enough to post a screencap? I thought the film was effectively creepy when I saw it in the theater, but don't especially want to buy the DVD.
Old 09-01-02, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have spent the better part of an hour trying to find a screencap. No luck, but I have run across a lot of paranormal pictures and drawings of him.