Search

Star Wars DVDs - Reviews - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-02, 09:54 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Star Wars DVDs - Reviews - Part 2

The continuation of this thread.

The following is from BadAsh's first post in that thread... if you are new to the discussion, please read this thread before continuing.

Originally posted by BadAsh
Okay, I know, not another Star Wars thread. Well, there was one "Star Wars DVDs" thread out there that discussed the latest DVD Bootlegs but it has since been closed and none of the latest threads really fit for this review. Why not put this review in the "DVD Reviews" forum? DVD-Talk does not support or condone the discussion of "bootlegs" in any form. Since these DVDs are not "official" I feel this thread is best posted to the "DVD Talk" Forum.

The focus of this thread is to supply reviews of all of the latest Star Wars bootleg DVDs. Please do not turn this thread into a begging thread for bootleg source info. I would like everyone to note that any requests for bootleg source info posted in this thread will be denied any information and will only lead to this thread being closed either by myself or the mods.
Old 05-20-02, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All right, I read the first 5 pages of the previous link above and then i read the last few pages, and man there is some good discussion there.

Just a quick question, so it is pretty much agreed upon that the "5 star" version is the one to get?

I just want to be sure. Thanks,
S!
Old 05-20-02, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Well, i am VERY happy with my 5 Star set.

They're not perfect.
[Perfect would be an OFFICIAL release.]

But, these'll do until 2005.
Old 05-20-02, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Shafted!
All right, I read the first 5 pages of the previous link above and then i read the last few pages, and man there is some good discussion there.

Just a quick question, so it is pretty much agreed upon that the "5 star" version is the one to get?

I just want to be sure. Thanks,
S!
Well, if you have a digital front projector, particularly an LCD projector, I would pay attention to the comments about gamma/black level problems with the 5-star set. Since these projectors tend to have trouble getting true blacks anyway, this may make the DTS banner version (no black level issues but apparently not quite as sharp) a consideration. It was unclear as to whether true blacks are possible with the 5-star set.

I have a DLP projector and am due to receive my 5-stars any day now. I already have the DTS banner edition and will do a direct comparison to see if the 5-star is truly better for those of us with non-CRT projectors.

Apparently if you have a display capable of adjustment to true black (regular TV, rear projection set, CRT front projector) you're probably better off with the 5-star, although the image may still be too bright and lacking enough black level in places. From the other thread, the 5-star has a sharper image with better color and has superior sound.
Old 05-20-02, 08:17 AM

I've seen various comparisons between the "5 Star release" and the "DTS" release. This really confuses me because the set that I ordered is labeled as the "5 Star Collection DTS Version". So which exact version would I be getting?
Old 05-20-02, 09:05 AM

But, these'll do until 2005.
Remember, all McCallum stated officially is that we would get the newly edited OT's after Episode 3 is released theatrically. He didn't state that that meant 2005. In all likelihood we'll get Episode 3 in November 2005 followed by the new, "super-duper", enhanced OT's the next year.

I still feel a window exists for Lucas to provide us with a basic release of the '97 SE versions of the OT's in November 2003. With DVD already outselling VHS to the tune of 60%-40%, a VHS-only release of the OT in November 2003 (as rumored) would look really silly.

So ... Purchase these bootlegs with your eyes wide open!!
Old 05-20-02, 09:08 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by WepaMan
I've seen various comparisons between the "5 Star release" and the "DTS" release. This really confuses me because the set that I ordered is labeled as the "5 Star Collection DTS Version". So which exact version would I be getting?
This is the 5 Star Collection:

Old 05-20-02, 09:30 AM

I just ordered my 5 star trilogy for $35 shipped. I'll let you know what I think of them if/when I finally get it. I can't believe this is the third time I'm purchasing these movies on DVD.. These bootleggers are becoming as bad as Lucas is with rereleases
Old 05-20-02, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got these Fed-ex today. Seem really pretty good. I'll know more later after I look at them on my 32' TV.

R
Old 05-20-02, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by TK-421
I just ordered my 5 star trilogy for $35 shipped. I'll let you know what I think of them if/when I finally get it. I can't believe this is the third time I'm purchasing these movies on DVD.. These bootleggers are becoming as bad as Lucas is with rereleases
what other versions do you have?

--kev
Old 05-20-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How?
Old 05-20-02, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by entitee
what other versions do you have?

--kev
Let's see..

I have the very first DVD release, which was the SE trilogy with burned in chinese subtitles. Then I got the second release, which was the original trilogy with removable subtitles and extras from the Definitive Laserdisc collection (a few interviews and making ofs). I skipped the third release which was another re-release of the SE trilogy without burned in subtitles, and now I've purchased the 4th release, which is the "5 Star" collection with is a dual-layer DVD with better picture quality and no audio problems.
Old 05-20-02, 08:47 PM
Cool New Member

Anyone know where some good quality case art can be found for these. I ordered the 5 star set from a site which states that no cases will be provided. I'd like to print my own cover art and stick em in some AOL cases or something. Thanks
Old 05-20-02, 08:59 PM

Try here:

http://www.dvdcoverart.com/

Not 5 Star covers, but pretty good.
Old 05-20-02, 09:10 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by TK-421
and now I've purchased the 4th release, which is the "5 Star" collection with is a dual-layer DVD with better picture quality and no audio problems.
I wouldn't say NO audio problems, just much fewer. See reviews in the part 1 thread.

The DTS sucks for all discs.
A great DD 2.0 is the only useable audio format for ESB.

Still, overall the audio is better than my VHS.
Old 05-21-02, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed that the audio is NOT perfect on the 5 Star DVD's! The ESB's DD 5.1 is screwed up real bad! The front L/R play in the surround L/R's so it is useless. The DTS on all SW DVD releases including the 5 star have never been anywhere near good. The DD 2.0/DS on ESB is the best I have heard for a DS audio track and makes the screw up on the DD 5.1 more forgiveable! The DD 5.1 on ANH and ROTJ is VERY good!
Old 05-21-02, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Joseph B

Remember, all McCallum stated officially is that we would get the newly edited OT's after Episode 3 is released theatrically. He didn't state that that meant 2005. In all likelihood we'll get Episode 3 in November 2005 followed by the new, "super-duper", enhanced OT's the next year.

I still feel a window exists for Lucas to provide us with a basic release of the '97 SE versions of the OT's in November 2003. With DVD already outselling VHS to the tune of 60%-40%, a VHS-only release of the OT in November 2003 (as rumored) would look really silly.

So ... Purchase these bootlegs with your eyes wide open!!
TheForce.net just posted an interview with Lucas, and without a surprise, he doubts the original trilogy will be released.

Also: has anyone had any problems with the pre-SE Empire disc. Mine wont play in any player.
Old 05-21-02, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh

Also: has anyone had any problems with the pre-SE Empire disc. Mine wont play in any player.
Try a good cleaning using a soft cloth or a kit.

Could somebody post screen shots of the Five Star Collection menus ?
Old 05-21-02, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

does anyone know the country that these "5 star" editions were made in?
Old 05-21-02, 07:53 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally posted by garmonbozia
does anyone know the country that these "5 star" editions were made in?
I don't know where they're made, but they're shipped from Malaysia.
Old 05-21-02, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

will these five star editions play on any player? I may pick them up if I know they'll play on my Sony 5-disc Dvd player... can someone get back to me on this?

scratch that, just found out by doing some research that yes, the dvd player will play these. just ordered from an online retailer. can't wait!!!

Last edited by Flynn; 05-21-02 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-21-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So am I the only one sticking with the "DTS Banner" SE set, and not grabbing the "5 Star"?

Maybe I'm just easily satisfied...
Old 05-21-02, 11:12 AM

Just placed an order for these earlier today, hopefully they shall be worth it.
Old 05-21-02, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
So am I the only one sticking with the "DTS Banner" SE set, and not grabbing the "5 Star"?

Maybe I'm just easily satisfied...
Yep...looks like it

Really...how HARD is it to get rid of your old set? I sold it to my friend for the cost of the new set. I lost no money in the deal and got to trade up
Old 05-21-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by clappj
deleted
Not that I am against sharing source information but posts like these will get this thread closed.

If you want more information than is provided in this thread, then get it somewhere else. - Static

Last edited by Static Cling; 05-21-02 at 01:26 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.