Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Danny Elfman from Spiderman/Batman the same Danny Elfman from Oingo Boingo?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-02, 02:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wondering this for the longest of times. If he is, when did he decide to go from being the lead singer of one of the best semi-punk bands of the 80s to one of the best movie soundtrack composers of recent times?
Old 06-02-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The very same.

Also we have Trevor Rabin, formerly of Yes, Mark Knopfler, formerly of Dire Straits, and Mark Mothersbaugh, formerly of DEVO, in the same profession.
Old 06-02-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by Jepthah
and Mark Mothersbaugh, formerly of DEVO, in the same profession.
And star of the brilliant film, The Spririt of '76.

"OH NO, TOAD BLOCK!"
Old 06-02-02, 05:59 PM
Banned

From my heart and from my hand, why don't people understand my intentions?

By the way, what's your favorite Boingo tune?
Old 06-02-02, 07:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The song "Flesh N' Blood" was a good Oingo Boingo song. I remember a lot of their music. I thought Elfman was great in Boingo and I just don't understand why he left the band to become a movie composer.
Old 06-02-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the record, Danny Elfman did soundtracks (or A soundtrack) before Oingo Boingo really became well known. Check out the movie "The Forbidden Zone" sometime. His brother directed the film, Danny Elfman not only handled the music for the film, but he also played The Devil (imaging Satan doing a spot-on Cab Calloway impersonation), and the Mystic Knights of Oingo Boingo were all in the movie as well.

That said, I love the song Nasty Habits.
Old 06-02-02, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Grey Matter" is my fave. I believe Oingo Boingo was no longer a band by the time he hit BIG with his scores (like Batman). I know he did Pee Wee's Big Adventure while Boingo was still active. I met him backstage one time and he came across as a pretty quiet man (of course, those situations are not ideal).
Old 06-02-02, 08:48 PM
Banned

I gotta Peel the Skin for my fave. That song is just friggin brilliant!! And he sings it so well imho.
Old 06-03-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If there's one thing for certain about a Tim Burton movie, it's that it'll have a fantastic score by Elfman. He also did the simpson's theme, didn't he?
Old 06-03-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still getting your news on a dial-up connection, eh?

Old 06-03-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by atlantamoi
"Grey Matter" is my fave. I believe Oingo Boingo was no longer a band by the time he hit BIG with his scores (like Batman). I know he did Pee Wee's Big Adventure while Boingo was still active. I met him backstage one time and he came across as a pretty quiet man (of course, those situations are not ideal).
No, Oingo Boingo were still very much a band after "Batman". Then they became just Boingo. Then Oingo Boingo again for a farewell concert (and album).
Old 06-03-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, Oingo Boingo were still very much a band after "Batman".
I stand corrected. Their concert farewell was in '96. Quite a bit after '89. Why did they change their name to just Boingo? I don't think I cared about them by that time.
Old 06-03-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
About ten years ago in college (Cal State Fullerton), I had an elective class on film music. One of our guest speakers was Danny Elfman. Having been a Boingo fan, it was a nice surprise.
Old 06-03-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't believe he ever truly left "Boingo" really. They just ended the band. He still works with Steve Bartek on his scores(his guitarist from Boingo).
Old 06-03-02, 07:32 PM
Banned

Alot of people thought they were a British band when they first came out because they were played on KROCK so much.
Old 06-08-02, 01:39 AM
Banned

Is it me or is the new re-recorded version of Wild Sex(In the working class) not nearly as good as the original? I wish they would've included it on the greatest hits CD. Anyone know what album the original version is on? Also what's up with Little Girls not being on the greatest hits CD? I love that song. What album is it on? And what album is the original 'Stay' on? I wish they would've included the original recordings of those tunes on the best of CD.
Old 06-08-02, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yup. of course he is. and along with all the composing he is doing, He has become a hit on the radar. Burton always uses him, Raimi always uses him and so on and so on. he is the in composer. Love his work on nightmare before christmas
Old 06-08-02, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by isamu
Also what's up with Little Girls not being on the greatest hits CD? I love that song. What album is it on? And what album is the original 'Stay' on? I wish they would've included the original recordings of those tunes on the best of CD.
Little Girls is on "only a lad".
Old 06-09-02, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
Danny reworked his wonderful, bouncy Midnight Run score into a Boingo song "Try to Believe". I think he's one of the best composers working in films today (even if Spiderman's theme sounded awful close to Batman and Dick Tracey's). One day, he'll win his Oscar (too bad they got rid of the seperate comedy & drama catagories, it really improved his chances even though neither he nor Randy Newman could convert that into a win).
BTW I was at one of those "Goodbye" shows at the Universal Ampetheater in LA, Halloween '96. Great, great show. Too bad it took two hours to get out of the parking garage, though.
Old 06-10-02, 12:38 AM
Banned

OMG I can't believe how much better the old, original versions of their most popular tunes sound compared to the re-recordings. Private Life, Not my slave, Gratitude and Wild Sex sound MUCH better in their original state. Why'd Danny feel he needed to re-record these classics is a mystery to me. Incidentally, the original version of the Wild Sex.mp3 is extremely hard to find on the net.
Old 03-07-03, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by isamu
Is it me or is the new re-recorded version of Wild Sex(In the working class) not nearly as good as the original? I wish they would've included it on the greatest hits CD. Anyone know what album the original version is on? Also what's up with Little Girls not being on the greatest hits CD? I love that song. What album is it on? And what album is the original 'Stay' on? I wish they would've included the original recordings of those tunes on the best of CD.
I was (and still am) a huge fan of Oingo Boingo's from way back when they released thier first 4 song 10" EP. I went and saw The Forbidden Zone when it was released just because I knew Danny and his music was in it. I saw them many times live (the Halloween Shows were always the best). But then Danny did something that just bugged me. In interviews he would refer back to some of the older songs from the first albums as if he was embarassed by them....that he didn't sing them very well and they weren't composed or produced very well. I'm like WTH? I love those songs just the way they are...those are the songs that built your fan base. This is why in 88 they released Boingo Alive....not "Live" just "Alive". A "Best of" that had NONE of the original recordings. They took all the songs and re-recorded them so Danny would feel better about having the songs out there "better" then they had done them originally. I have not heard the greatest hits CD but my guess is they probably used the Alive recordings for it.

Anyways...with that said...here's the answer to your questions.

Wild Sex was first on Nothing To Fear
Little Girls was first on Only A Lad
Stay was first on Dead Man's Party

By the way Danny Elfman also put out a solo album in the 80's called So-Lo. That's were songs like "Gratitude" came from and the reason they sound like Oingo-Boingo is because he used all the members from Oingo Boingo as the musicians on that album. It's a great CD to check out if you like Oingo Boingo you will like it to.

Last edited by Grimm1; 03-07-03 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-10-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Grimm1
A "Best of" that had NONE of the original recordings. They took all the songs and re-recorded them so Danny would feel better about having the songs out there "better" then they had done them originally.
I don't think that is the reason they re-recorded the songs. I remember a record label dispute and they needed to re-record them because they didn't have the rights to the recordings. They had song rights, just not the recordings I believe.
Old 03-10-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats to Danny Elfman! It was announced this morning that he is engaged to Bridget Fonda.

from yahoo news:<hr>
The couple's engagement was confirmed Monday morning by the actress' publicist Nancy Seltzer, who said the beauty and the music man were betrothed "long before" Fonda's serious car crash two weeks ago and that "they're really happy." No other details were released.

This is a first marriage for Fonda, 39, most recently the gal-pal of Dwight Yoakam and a former romantic roomie of Eric Stoltz, and it's a second walk down the aisle for Elfman, 49.

While details of their relationship are not being disclosed, the two both list Sam Raimi's 1998 tragic tale of greed A Simple Plan on their résumés. <hr>

Nice Going Danny!!!!!!

BBP
Old 03-11-03, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
My favorite Boingo songs are:

Nasty Habits
Not My Slave
War Again
Old 03-11-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by TeeSeeJay
He also did the simpson's theme, didn't he?
Yes

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.