Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Final Fantasy Anthology and the PS2

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final Fantasy Anthology and the PS2

I want to pick this game up, but I read that it does not work on the PS2. Can anyone who has a copy confirm or deny this? I got rid of my playstation, so am I out of luck?
Old 05-30-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I've played in on a PS2 no problems. I've heard some people have problems. I'd say it's a crapshoot whether it will work or not.
Old 05-30-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They work, back when it was released a few years ago there was a response from square but I can't remember where it was. Wait nevermind I found it:

In response to Sony's recent report of incompatibilities between its PlayStation2 hardware and Final Fantasy Anthology, Squaresoft has issued an official work-around for the problem. As was previously reported, the compatibility issues are only with Final Fantasy V, not with Final Fantasy VI, the other half of the anthology. The game is entirely playable on the PlayStation2, except for a bug that can interfere with the saving feature, producing corrupted graphical images when players try to save their games.

According to a Square representative, "the saving feature does work, [but] the save screen may be corrupted." Thus, the on-screen text and menu cursor will sometimes be unreadable, making visual navigation impossible. If gamers are familiar enough with the menu, they may be able to navigate it without visual aid. If not, Square suggests that players exit out of the menu by pressing the cancel button until they are back on the world or field map, and then attempt to enter the menu once again. If the text is still corrupted, the process should be repeated. According to Square, "retrying the saving option over will produce a normal screen and the game will function normally."

Square also states, "If you do encounter this problem, it should only take a few tries using the steps above to correct the problem and save normally." Although this fix is quite simple, owners of Final Fantasy Anthology will certainly appreciate being able to run the title on Sony's new machine.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2000/121300b.html

If I remember right, when you save the game it makes a *brrriiing!!* noise, like a bell kind of, so listen for that if the graphic is corrupted. Enjoy!