Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

EB Trade in program

Old 05-30-02, 02:02 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EB Trade in program questions

Hello I am seriously thinking about trading in my dreamcast and ps1 for either a gc or ps2. (have xbox) I am just looking for feedback on people who have done this already and could answer some questions for me.

1) Does it matter what the 10 games are?

2) Will they give you more than 100 credit if you have more than 10 game. I have about 30 games for the dreamcast and 10 for the playstation

3) How about accessories? (I have 3 dc controllers 4 vmu's keyboard ect.)

4) Can I trade in both consoles torward one console? (thinking I can pick up some more accessories and game)

I thought about going the ebay route but looking at ending auctions that seems to be a rip off.

I thank you in advance for your help. I would just ask eb direct but the closest one if 50 miles from house so I would like to have some idea what I am getting into before I pack up a bunch of gear drive 50 miles and then find out that it wasn't worth my time.

Again thanks for your help

Last edited by pearkel; 05-30-02 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-30-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Doesn't matter which games, so you might be better off just sending them to me

j/k.

I would think you would stilll be better off with ebay, but maybe not.
Old 05-30-02, 02:19 PM

Re: EB Trade in program questions

Originally posted by pearkel
Hello I am seriously thinking about trading in my dreamcast and ps1 for either a gc or ps2. (have xbox) I am just looking for feedback on people who have done this already and could answer some questions for me.

1) Does it matter what the 10 games are?

2) Will they give you more than 100 credit if you have more than 10 game. I have about 30 games for the dreamcast and 10 for the playstation

3) How about accessories? (I have 3 dc controllers 4 vmu's keyboard ect.)

4) Can I trade in both consoles torward one console? (thinking I can pick up some more accessories and game)

I thought about going the ebay route but looking at ending auctions that seems to be a rip off.

I thank you in advance for your help. I would just ask eb direct but the closest one if 50 miles from house so I would like to have some idea what I am getting into before I pack up a bunch of gear drive 50 miles and then find out that it wasn't worth my time.

Again thanks for your help
1) Nope, doesn't matter, any 10 games.

2) Yes, but remember that they have to be 10 games and a matching system. The rest it's woth much.

3) $5 for DC controllers, $2 dollars for all other accesories, not sure about the keyboard.

4) Yes, both consoles can be trade in for one console, although the console and 10 games= $100 does not apply to the other console (you won't get $200 off by 2 consoles 20 games).

Well I hope this helps! I did it a while ago with a Dreamcast and 10 games for $100 off PS2.
Old 05-30-02, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just last week, I traded in my N64, 2 controllers, RF switch, 6 N64 games, and 5 DC games, for store credit of ~$150.

I kept the other DC games I wanted, the 5 i traded in I would have never played again.

I was very happy with this deal, seeing as how I got a PS2 for about $50, and got rid of some junk I probably would have never used again, or would have broken eventually.
Old 05-30-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: EB Trade in program questions

Originally posted by ReDsOx5048

3) $5 for DC controllers, $2 dollars for all other accesories, not sure about the keyboard.
Really? They told me that it was $3 per controller and $1 for anything else (rumble packs, VMU's etc.).
Old 05-30-02, 02:49 PM

Re: Re: EB Trade in program questions

Originally posted by ReDsOx5048

1) Nope, doesn't matter, any 10 games.

2) Yes, but remember that they have to be 10 games and a matching system. The rest it's woth much.

4) Yes, both consoles can be trade in for one console, although the console and 10 games= $100 does not apply to the other console (you won't get $200 off by 2 consoles 20 games).

Well I hope this helps! I did it a while ago with a Dreamcast and 10 games for $100 off PS2.
It's funny how I was just thinking about posting the same thread. Anyway, but I just returned from EB, but the guy say, NOT any 10 games. He said, there is a huge list of games that cannot be counted.

Oh yeah, just to add... He told me that my DC console worth $20 if I were to trade it in

Jerry

Last edited by jerry4fish; 05-30-02 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-30-02, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would jsut go to ebay with it or try to sell/trade it on the Video Game exchange Forum. I know I'd take a look at your DC selection of titles.
Old 05-31-02, 12:41 AM

Can someone explain what EB's trade in offer is? It's not clear in this post.
Old 05-31-02, 07:55 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think that it is worth a try based upon your info.

When searching ebays ending dreamcast selection they all seem to be around 50-75 dollars. EB is offering me 100 dollars for it and 10 games. If they were to give me just 3 dollars (which i probably will not take) for the extra games that is another 60 bucks. 6 dollars for the xtra controllers, 10 dollars for the vmu's and extension cables that is aprox 180 dollars. I just dont see me getting this off of ebay. If I throw in the ps then figure 15 dollars for the console and 30 for the games (again guessing 3 dollars per game) another 45 for a total of 225 enough to buy a gc, xtra controller and a game or 2, or enough to buy a ps2 and controller.

The program is bring in a ps, n64, or dc w/10 games and they will give you 100 dollars torward a next gen console.

Again thanks for all of your help I'll let you know if anything good or bad happens.
Old 05-31-02, 11:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: EB Trade in program questions

Originally posted by jerry4fish

It's funny how I was just thinking about posting the same thread. Anyway, but I just returned from EB, but the guy say, NOT any 10 games. He said, there is a huge list of games that cannot be counted.

Oh yeah, just to add... He told me that my DC console worth $20 if I were to trade it in

Jerry
Weird, he took all of my games even from 1999 Sports2K? All of it (except for the damn Web Browser ).

Last edited by Thrillhouse; 05-31-02 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-31-02, 01:22 PM
Cool New Member

Instruction manuals?

Quick question:
When trading in my N64 games in this deal, do they require the instruction manuals to be with them? If so, I'm screwed (I hate those things).
Thanks for the help!
-eeyoreed
Old 05-31-02, 01:43 PM

^^^ Yes, when trading in N64 games you need the box and the instruction manual.

The trade in policy differs at each EB. My local EB allowed us to mix and match games and system for the trade in. I traded in my N64 and 3 games + 8 DC games and some accessories for $110. I was going to trade in my PS1 but they would only give me $7 for it. So I ended up paying a little over a $100 for my PS2. And some DC games they will not accept, depends on how many they have in stock and they WILL NOT accept any Sports game.
Old 05-31-02, 11:07 PM

I did this deal a few weeks ago trading in my PS for a PS2 and was very happy with the deal. Mine came out to $110 and I only had 9 games, but I had some accessories. They prorate for less than 10 games. On paper it shows $30 for the console and $7 for each game, so if you have less than 10 games they just take off $7 each. They even gave me credit for tax!

1) At the EB I went to, the games DID matter. They told me that they could not count WWF Warzone and could only give me $0.50 for it.

2) Yes, they will give you more than $100 with more games.

3) They gave me $3 each for all extra accessories (mem cards, RF adapter).

4) I don't believe that they would let you trade both for one console. With those 2 consoles, and all those games and accessories you could get a PS2 and GC for next to nothing though.

I agree that this seems to be a better deal than eBay. Even if you could get more on eBay, would it be worth the hassle?
Old 06-01-02, 09:06 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: EB Trade in program questions

Originally posted by jerry4fish

Babbages gave me $25 for my DC last week, so you might want to try for that family of stores rather than EB if you don't have enough game to do the $100 deal.

Babbages, Gamestop, etc all seem to give me better trade deals than EB, most of the time.

I got $113 toward my PS2 for my DC, 2 crappy extra controllers, a VMU, 6 DC games and 2 N64 games.
Old 06-03-02, 07:22 AM
Cool New Member

This went so much better than I had planned. I packed up all my gear and drove 50 miles to EB and it was worth every mile.
I traded in my dreamcast and 25 games, (kept 5 for my brother in law), ps and 10 old games(the newest ps game i had was spyro year of the dragon everything else was at least 3 years old). 3 extra dc controllers, 3 vmu's, 1 3rd party vmu, 1 rumble pak, 2 ps memory cards, 1 extra ps controller.
The guy was like man this is going to take all night to put into the computer. He was so helpful he took *ALL* my games even 2k series of football and basketball. took the games that were least valueable and put them on the upgrade to new system program ie 7 bucks each. games like shoot out 97 for ps worth 7 bucks. any way not going to bore you with details. When it was all said and done a total credit of $242.00 57 dollars more than I expected.
I was able to pick up gc, xtra controller, memory card, rouge spear II, luigis mansion (used $5 off coupon for used game), and got a free all star baseball 2002 for purchasing gc and memory card. Lucas Arts was running some kind of special that if I bought one of their games I was able to get and extra 5 dollars on trade in per game limit 4. So I got it for 20 dollars instead of 40.
All in all i am happy. I didn't think that it would go as smooth and the employees would be so helpful. Thanks for your help as well.
If any one wants to know the particulars let me know and I will try and answer them.
Funny the guys working there were like going for a record on how many reciept slips I would get and that they were topping each other. I had 8 slips he said it was most he ever had.
Old 06-04-02, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: EB Trade in program questions

Originally posted by joshhinkle

Babbages gave me $25 for my DC last week, so you might want to try for that family of stores rather than EB if you don't have enough game to do the $100 deal.

Babbages, Gamestop, etc all seem to give me better trade deals than EB, most of the time.

I got $113 toward my PS2 for my DC, 2 crappy extra controllers, a VMU, 6 DC games and 2 N64 games.
I've had the opposite experience- much more money from EB than Babbages. But as they have been saying in the thread, EB trade in policies seem to vary store to store. I think Babbages/Gamestop probably do too. Anyway, I got $30 for my Dreamcast at EB towards the PS2, plus another 300 dollars or so for 8 DC games, 9 N64 games, the N64 and 7 assorted N64/DC accessories. They gave me 18-20 dollars a piece for the N64 games I had with boxes (mario kart, mario 64, zelda 1 and 2).

I don't have the receipt around, but I think it was 3 dollars each for the accessories, and they did the 100 dollar deal for the dreamcast games even though I had less than 10 games (minus 7 bucks per missing game).

Like I said, it seems to vary store to store, according to everything I read here. I go to the same store every time and it seems like a good one. sounds like peakel found a good one too, nice work!
Old 06-21-02, 02:33 PM

so....you can trade in playstation + 10 games OR dreamcast + 10 games and you get a PS2 OR a gamecube for free??? Can you get an XBOX in this deal? If not,how much extra would it be after trading in the DC?
Thanks.
Old 06-21-02, 02:44 PM
Cool New Member

so....you can trade in playstation + 10 games OR dreamcast + 10 games and you get a PS2 OR a gamecube for free??? Can you get an XBOX in this deal? If not,how much extra would it be after trading in the DC?

You won't get it for free but they will give you $100 torwards a purchase of a new one. As in my case I traded in all my dc items along with a ps and 10 games and got 2 approx 250 bucks. I had a great store to work with me and took every game I had no matter how old. It was a good deal for me as the dc and ps were not getting any attention with my new console.
You can also trade in a n64 and 10 games for the same deal.
Old 06-21-02, 04:36 PM

thanks!