Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Half-Life Counterstrike and Team Fortress questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Half-Life Counterstrike and Team Fortress questions

I assume I'm using the appropriate forum for this instead of the computer hardware one...

Someone is offering to sell me Half-Life Platinum collection...my questions are is Counter-Strike re-usable with the serial number online? What I mean if he has already used it, will it work for me?

His Platinum collection is missing Team Fortress classic which he said I can download online...any idea where? Maybe I'm overlooking but all I'm finding is maps and mods and not the Team Fortress Classic itself. Sorry if this all seems dumb but I want to know exactly what I'm getting...
Old 05-30-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TFC can be downloaded through Sierra's website under Half-Life patches. I believe the last patch includes TFC. As for the serial number question, I believe it would work. The game checks for the proper serial and proper CD during installation and when the game boots up. The servers do not seem to be centralized in any fashion so I doubt the servers check for serial number.
Old 05-30-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah after posting this I installed the latest patch and TFC is in there.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-02, 11:14 AM

Re: Half-Life Counterstrike and Team Fortress questions

Originally posted by Wolfchild
Someone is offering to sell me Half-Life Platinum collection...my questions are is Counter-Strike re-usable with the serial number online? What I mean if he has already used it, will it work for me?
You should be able to use it, UNLESS he is using it at the same time. Meaning, if he still has access to his games (like he made copies before he sold them) and he is online playing Counter-Strike you won't be able to play Counter-Strike until he logs off.

If he's not going to be playing it at all anymore, then you should be fine. At least that's my understanding of how the serial numbers work.

Anyways, depending on how much you're buying it for you might be better served running out to Best Buy and picking up the game-of-the-year edition for $25.
Old 05-30-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from my expierience. you wont have any problems. as for the pack coming with counter strike. well you should also look into the price.

Counter strike, Death match classic and TFC all can be downloaded, the only real good about the bundle packs is that they come with opposing forces and operation blue shift (blue shift was nothijng special) and those can be bought for like 20 bucks. when deals and sales come around.
Old 05-30-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've never played any of the Half-Life games. I've heard that the gameplay is great but how dated are the graphics?
Old 05-30-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Graphics aren't as nice as the newer Quake 3-based games since it's based on the Q2 engine but they still look pretty nice. It's a heavily tweaked Q2 engine. The humans, monsters and sky look the most dated. It runs nice on a little bit older computer. I haven't seen the hi-res stuff included with Blue Shift yet.

Did anyone else have loads of trouble with the end boss on the original HL? Hehe I think I spent three hours trying to kill that SOB.

Looks like this guy sold it on me anyway so I'll probably just pick up the Blue Shift expansion pack used.
Old 05-30-02, 12:54 PM

The graphics are okay, but the gameplay is great. The best thing about Half-Life is the Mods. It's like getting a ton of games for the price of one. You can download Counter-Strike, Team Fortess, Firearms, and most importantly, Day of Defeat (my personal favorite). I would reccommend picking up Half-Life just for the sheer variety of games it opens up to you.
Old 05-30-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are those last two single player or multi??
Old 05-30-02, 01:52 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Firearms and Day of Defeat are multi. There's also a mod/patch that allows you to play the single player HL in co-op; it's called Sven Coop (http://www.svencoop.com/)

--HN