Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter Widescreen to P&S ratio

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering in your shopping for this DVD if you noticed stores stocking more of the WS or the P&S editions of this movie. At my Blockbuster, we got in 113 copies WS for sell thru, a vast majority of those for presales. We only got in 60 some odd P&S copies, the vast majority of those for the shelf, as only 15 people preordered theirs specifically for P&S. Of course, most of us didn't even tell the customers there was a choice. When they came to the register and we took their pre orders, we just put in the WS part number. The P&S copies were only ordered if somebody specifically asked for them. Who's saying people don't want widescreen? We are selling the majority of ours on widescreen!
Old 05-29-02, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The comp usa by my house got a ton of copies and only about 10 of them were widescreen. I didn't get a WS copy at compusa because they were already before I could get in the store. Sadly when it was announced that all the WS copies were sold only 3 other people got out of line besides me. Everybody else was PLANNING on getting standard.
Old 05-29-02, 10:01 AM

My Hollywood only got widescreen DVDs for rental and sale.

The local Target looked like they had maybe a little over a third of their DVDs as widescreen (Though, it's worth noting that the widescreen areas were emptier than the fullscreen--which means it's either selling more, or they had enough FS to keep restocking it throughout the day, while they only had enough WS for the initial stocking).
Old 05-29-02, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Borders that I work at PT got just over 500 copies of widescreen and around 120 P&S.
Old 05-29-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by just_al
The comp usa by my house got a ton of copies and only about 10 of them were widescreen. I didn't get a WS copy at compusa because they were already before I could get in the store. Sadly when it was announced that all the WS copies were sold only 3 other people got out of line besides me. Everybody else was PLANNING on getting standard.
Actually, I would wadger maybe about 3 would have stepped out of line if the situation was reversed and they announced all they had left was widescreen. Maybe a little more, but not much. I have found most people just don't care and are not passionate on the issue either way.
Old 05-29-02, 09:55 PM
Banned

at my job we got more P&S than widescreen. I think we had something like 200 copies or so. I know we had at least 30 copies of it in widescreen, Of course this just a guess as I do not know the total # of p&s dvd's,widescreen dvd's and videos ordered. The 200 copies is just a guess but I think it's close to what we had at my job.
Old 05-30-02, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I went to my local Best Buy. Even though it looked like they clearly had more FS then WS, all the widescreens were stocked on the main Harry Potter display. Good thing imo
Old 05-30-02, 10:55 PM

At the local Walmart, they had about equal # of widescreens as P&S. But then they had as many VHS as well.
Old 06-04-02, 12:16 AM

In a recent development, Best Buy is now charging $15.99 for the P&S copies and $17.99 for the WS.

Anyone know the reason for this. I figured they were way overstocked on the P&S copies, but that's just a guess.

Anyone know what's going on with the HARRY POTTER pricing?
Old 06-04-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I looked at my BB today and read the tags. They are charging $2 more for the WS when they both have a regular price tag on them that reads $19.99.