Reload this Page >

Worldwide hardware numbers (shipped) from CNN.com

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-27-02, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CNN.com has a couple of gaming articles that provide the following worldwide numbers:

Console Units Shipped
1) PS2- 30 million
2) GCN- 4.5 million
3) Xbox- 3 million

Source: CNN.com
Nintendo cuts GameCube price
Sony cuts price of PlayStation, PS2
Old 05-27-02, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would have been interesting to see what they were before the price drops.
Old 05-27-02, 12:02 PM
Banned

I don't know how correct these are. Sony said they shipped 30 million units many weeks ago. They definitely shipped more than 30 million. This is probably previous to the price cuts.
Old 05-27-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I didn't realize Game Cube was that far ahead of the Xbox. Is Resident Evil the reason?
Old 05-27-02, 01:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by darkside
I didn't realize Game Cube was that far ahead of the Xbox. Is Resident Evil the reason?
I think Japan is the reason.
Old 05-27-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012
I don't know how correct these are. Sony said they shipped 30 million units many weeks ago. They definitely shipped more than 30 million. This is probably previous to the price cuts.
The 30 million number comes from Sony's press conference they held at E3 last week.
Old 05-27-02, 01:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by CreatureX

The 30 million number comes from Sony's press conference they held at E3 last week.
Actually, it was reported May 9th

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...864939,00.html

Almost 3 weeks later, I guess they rounded down.
Old 05-27-02, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

I think Japan is the reason.
Ah, worldwide numbers. Yeah Japan is definitely the reason. I didn't think it had a lead on the Xbox in the US.
Old 05-27-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What do you guys think this will look like after the holiday season?
Old 05-27-02, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by s}{ammer
What do you guys think this will look like after the holiday season?
I would assume the same. PS2 has a lead that can't be overtaken. Worldwide I would think the Game Cube will keep its slight lead over the Xbox, but either way the Cube and Xbox will have to find their place in the shadow of the PS2. Nintendo made money in the shadow of the PSone so I know they will be fine. Microsoft is a mystery. It's doubtful they will every make the Xbox profitable, but they are building up a good reputation and they said they are in this for the long haul. I would expect all three consoles to chug right along through the next 2-3 years.
Old 05-27-02, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would assume the same. PS2 has a lead that can't be overtaken. Worldwide I would think the Game Cube will keep its slight lead over the Xbox, but either way the Cube and Xbox will have to find their place in the shadow of the PS2. Nintendo made money in the shadow of the PSone so I know they will be fine. Microsoft is a mystery. It's doubtful they will every make the Xbox profitable, but they are building up a good reputation and they said they are in this for the long haul. I would expect all three consoles to chug right along through the next 2-3 years.
I own all three systems, so I am certainly not a fanboy of any, but saying they will have to "find their place in the shadow of the PS2" is I think, a little unfair.

PS2 hit earlier, more sales there. Bigger library because of it, more sales. OK, I will get off that argument. It is likely however, that while the other two may not "catch up" in sales, they could possibily surpass in quality of games and love of players. I could especially see this happen if Nintendo releases many solid titles and gets others on board (some of the different planned GC/GBA titles could prove fruitful). Also, I think MS has the best online plan, and that could put them ahead as many people's favorite.

So, while Sony's numbers may remain bigger, that hardly means the other two will have to scrape a living under them and could in fact have Sony under their shadow of quality in the future. This would also put a major slow down on PS2 sales and crank up the other two.

So, I don't think anybody will be living under anyone else's shadow yet, possibly in the future, but until we see Xbox and GC a year+ from launch, we can not make the call.
Old 05-27-02, 09:56 PM
Cool New Member

I would expect all three consoles to chug right along through the next 2-3 years.
2-3 years sounds kinda short to me. Im tring to remeber how long the ps1 and N64 ran before they limited thier production of new games and started promoting the next gen systems. I'm thinking it was longer than 2-3 years

Personally I'd like to see all three companies go at least 3 years before they start thinking of promoting thier next gen consoles.