Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone having probs with FPS's for PS2

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-02, 10:40 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone having probs with FPS's for PS2

I've had my ps2 for about a year and have played quite a few FPS's, the latest being Deus Ex the Conspiracy. I had a difficult time getting used to the targeting with the ps2 controler.

Now when i bought my xbox, the first game i got obviously was halo. I find that the xbox s controler is better suited for FPS's. The analong placement on the xbox i find is much easier to manage than the ps2's
Old 05-27-02, 11:21 AM
Banned

In my personal opinion, FPS games should not be put on consoles period. I perfer using a mouse and keyboard when I play FPS games and think using a controller of any type is impractical.
Old 05-27-02, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Second that, FPS should be played on a keyboard and mouse.
Old 05-27-02, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I said this in another thread but it's worth repeating: the PS2's stick is the worst. It's in the wrong spot and there's no grooves in the well around it to facilitate precise directional movements. I don't know much about the Xbox's controller but I know the Cube's is good for shooters.
Old 05-27-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure about the stick, but I know that the problem with a FPS on a console is not enough keys. I am constantly changing weapons and strafing and so on. I need all the keys I can get in a FPS especially a deathmatch game. The stick is the last thing I would be worried about.
Old 05-27-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012
In my personal opinion, FPS games should not be put on consoles period.
A very narrow minded opinion I might say. Just because you have a PC capable of running the latest and greatest FPS doesn't mean everyone does. If done well, controlling a FPS with a controller isn't very hard at all. Halo had excellent controls. Half-life for the PS2 was also quite good. Just because FPS are on consoles doesn't mean you have to play them.
Old 05-27-02, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally I just don't understand the appeal of first person shooters. Alot of people love Halo, Doom, and Red Faction but I found that gameplay was mind numbingly monotonous and the ememys were more "goofey" than "manacing".

It just seems like that every first person shooter I've played has been essentially the same formula; walk around and blast things with no rhyme or reason. Anyway that's just my opinoin.

Old 05-27-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
Personally I just don't understand the appeal of first person shooters. Alot of people love Halo, Doom, and Red Faction but I found that gameplay was mind numbingly monotonous and the ememys were more "goofey" than "manacing".

It just seems like that every first person shooter I've played has been essentially the same formula; walk around and blast things with no rhyme or reason. Anyway that's just my opinoin.

What about run around and jump on things for no reason? Or rotate falling blocks for no reason? Or throw a ball for no reason? Or fight endless amounts of monsters for no reason? Or punch & kick another fighter for no reason?

The majority of games involve a lot of repetition. It's just a matter of whether you enjoy the particular activity that is being simulated. If anything, I find FPS games to at least try to give a logical reason to what you're doing and how the enemies are laid out. ie, escaping from a prison, the guards will be clustered around the guard post and they'll have regular search routines. Levels are constructed like a real world counterpart would be. Can't exactly say the same for platformers.

As for control, mouse & keyboard are best, but no FPS for consoles at all? The layout of most controllers these days is fine for FPS games. 4 buttons in a cross shape for strafing & back/forth mvmnt (secondary stick also works). Left side stick for free look. Top buttons/triggers for firing and secondary. digital pad for less used functions like USE or inventory. It's quite intuitive.

If anything, I find go anywhere 3rd person 3D games with a follow camera are best left on the PC. They tend to require a lot more situational awareness (and thus big fast movements in the camera to survey). Nothing better than the mouse for that kind of thing.
Old 05-27-02, 04:39 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a reminder... this isn't the "I like/don't like FPSs thread." Feel free to start another thread to discuss this topic (which will probably have to be locked because of people getting overly emotional, but I'm sure it'll be fun while it lasts).
Old 05-27-02, 08:20 PM
Cool New Member

Gee, looks like I've opened a can of worms with this topic.
Old 05-27-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally I find FPSs troublesome in consoles if not designed right. In fact, this can apply to 3rd-person action designed like a FPSs or ported from PC (crosshairs, i.e. MDK2).

However, if done right, I do great and love them on a console as much as PC. Halo was done right, it played great and I managed to move, jump and strafe perfectly. The mentionoed MDK2 for PS2 and Dreamcast both controlled good as well. The jumpng portions were annoying, but overall a solid title. I have yet to play many other recent ones though, so I will see as others are released as there are many good looking ones scheduled.
Old 05-27-02, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mouse and Key is better for aiming but I love my FPS on a 61 inch big screen pumping sound out of 15 inch speakers in comfort,I thought the N64 had the best FPS controllers.
Old 05-27-02, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by joshd2012
In my personal opinion, FPS games should not be put on consoles period. I perfer using a mouse and keyboard when I play FPS games and think using a controller of any type is impractical.

-k
###