Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GC, Xbox or PS2... What to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-02, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GC, Xbox or PS2... What to choose?

I'm really struggling here.

I currently have a DC (finally collecting dust) and 10 games, with 2 controllers and 2 VMUs. I wanna trade it all in for either a GC, XBOX or PS2.

I like mainly sports and action games.

How much longer is PS2 expected to live on for? I'm not sure if I want to get a system that's gonna be dead within a year.

The Gamecube looks like it could be the best long term because of Zelda, Mario Sunshine and Metroid. Super Smash Bros. for the N64 was so much fun (Multiplayer).

Xbox is appealing to me because it appears to have more "grown up" games and has a DVD player which I hear is a lot better than the PS2's. (My cousin bought the PS2 about a week ago and brought it over. We tried watching Tomb Raider, no luck.)

So tell me, what do the DVD Talk members think I should I get? TIA
Old 05-26-02, 03:10 PM
Banned

Get a PS2.

Or then get a Gamecube.

Or Then get a X-Box.

I put them in that order since that's I made my purchases. Besides the X-Box, but that'll be next.

The PS2 has many great games, it will live long and strong!

Many great games include:

Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
SSX
SSX Tricky
Grand Theft Auto 3
NBA Street
Devil May Cry
Hot Shots Golf 3
WWF Smackdown! Just Bring It
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3
Stuntman
Tekken 4

otherwise the Gamecube:

Super Monkey Ball 1/2
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Mario Party 4
WWE Wrestlemania X8
Mario Sunshine
Road Rash

and the X-Box:

Jet Set Radio Future
Oddworld: Munches Odyssee
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2x
Halo
Project Gotham Racing

Depends on your taste, I think you should go with your instinct.
Old 05-26-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's extremely unlikely that PS2 will be dead in a year. With 30 million units sold through, it's got several times the user base of XBox and Gamecube combined.

For action and sports games, I'd say PS2 is the best way to go. It gets all the sports games, and it usually gets them first, plus, more people you know will probably have PS2, so you'll have more people to play against.

Action titles you should check out are Metal Gear Solid 2, Devil May Cry, and Grand Theft Auto 3. Also, Twisted Metal: Black and Gran Turismo 3 just became Greatest Hits titles for $19.99, and you should definitely pick those up.

If you go for Gamecube, you have all the Nintendo published titles. The Cube doesn't have PS2's user base, but it's still a pretty safe bet, because Nintendo makes a ton of money off first party games. Metroid promises to be a great action game, and I'm sure there's a new Perfect Dark in the pipeline. If you're a sports gamer, though, I don't think Gamecube is the way to go.

XBox is a good choice if the XBox Live service sounds good to you. If you don't plan to subscribe, I'd say get a PS2. Microsoft's first party football game had great graphics, but most people said it wasn't as good as the EA or Sega offerings. Halo, of course, is an incredible action game.

Overall, if the Nintendo stuff gets you excited, go for the Cube, if the sports games are more important to you, go for PS2. I personally don't see XBox as a very good bet, which is why I didn't buy one. I think if XBox Live doesn't fly, MS may very well give up. I'm sure some other posters will disagree, though.
Old 05-26-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Super Smash Bros. for the N64 was so much fun (Multiplayer).
Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Cube is even better. I think it's the best game on the market for any system.
Old 05-26-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PS2. It has the best games out right now with plenty on the way. It also has the best third party support. I would probably choose the GC next, since it has a few more games that appeal to me more than the games on Xbox. Halo is still the only game on Xbox that interests me at all, and one game alone doesn't warrant a console purchase, IMO.
Old 05-26-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The PS2 will be around for a long time. I would go with that one. The DVD player on the newer PS2s is just as good as the Xbox one and you don't have to buy a remote unless you want one, but I do recommend it.

It has the strongest lineup of games and its lineup will just continue to improve thanks to its huge lead. With 30 million consoles in the marketplace the developers are flocking to the PS2 to make games.

If the Nintendo first party stuff (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc) interests you then the Game Cube might be a good choice. Game Cube will still have the top sports titles from EA and Sega plus the great Nintendo action games.

Xbox is a non factor at this point. Maybe six months from now that will change, but honestly I can't recommend it at this point in time.
Old 05-26-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
I wonder if there are any other threads asking the exact thing on this forum ***sarcasm***...might want to do a search. This question has been beaten to death with many good answers in many other threads (some of which were created just days ago).
Old 05-26-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Brian, my thoughts exactly.
Old 05-26-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
I wonder if there are any other threads asking the exact thing on this forum ***sarcasm***...might want to do a search. This question has been beaten to death with many good answers in many other threads (some of which were created just days ago).
My question is slightly different than the other 2 threads I saw.

One was simply a "PS2 or Xbox?", the other post the guy pretty much had narrowed it down to Gamecube or Xbox.

I'm still open to all 3 consoles unless there's a strong enough argument based on my preferences. (future outlook, remaining system life, and upcoming sports/action game)

Point taken though.

Thank you.
Old 05-26-02, 05:28 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Buy the PS2GameBox. It's only $549.97.
Old 05-26-02, 05:29 PM
Banned

If you liked the Dreamcast, and SEGA offerings.. I would recommend XBOX.

I recently was dealing with parting with my Dreamcast (Actually still have it, but when I say "parted", I mean.. getting a new system to replace it as being the most played system.)...

I love SEGA games, and basically was looking for the best system with a Dreamcast type lineup, and I chose XBOX. Was really hard to choose between XBOX and Gamecube, but the $50 more for XBOX is well worth it, as I am quite pumped for XBox Live, the DVD drive, the harddrive, etc etc. Its quite the system technical wise.

Also, for SEGA games:
-Crazy Taxi 3
-Panzer Dragoon Orta (4th in the series)
-All Sega Sports offerings (WSB exclusive)
-Soccer Slam (updated from Gamecube)
-Jet Set Radio Future
-Gunvalkyrie
-Toe Jam and Earl 3 (!!!)
-House of the Dead 3
-Sega GT 2002

Also, Artoon (founded by a former Sonic Team member) has a game called Blinx coming out, which reminds me of a SEGA type game, with it pushing new boundaries and ideas.

Overall, I'd say PS2 has the best lineup out now, and GAmecube certainly has a good lineup coming out in the future.. But I think XBOX has some great games out now, as well as the best future out of any of the systems. Plus you wont have to spend $50-100 more to get the broadband connection and harddrive, for $200 you've got everything!

Just my two cents.
Old 05-26-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We are really starting to get overwhelmed with these threads again. Why couldnt this be asked in one of the four or five threads already discussing this topic?
Old 05-26-02, 05:36 PM
Banned

Sorry, also forgot the following SEGA games:

-Shenmue 2 (exclusive to XBOX, which probably means future Shenmues on Xbox, hopefully?)

-Phantasy Star Online (via Xbox Live, so this means it will use the voice communicator, which I am very pumped for.)

And I just gotta throw my 2 cents in about the XBox Live deal, where for the first year its $50. Thats an amazing deal, as it also includes the communicator, and includes ALL online games. PS2's online system will be a fiasco, trust me. It will be like the dreamcast, where you'll have to pay for different games to different people, use different handles, setup different accounts on multiple servers, except worse. If you think Xbox Live is not the way to go for online videogaming, please wait til the fiasco of paying Square to play their online games, EA to play their online games etc etc. And for anybody thinking that SONY will keep their 1st party games free online forever, you are wrong. Eventually they will charge, just like SEGA did. It's just to lure people in.

-Jim
Old 05-26-02, 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ScandalUMD
... if the sports games are more important to you, go for PS2....
Don't forget the GC. It's gettin a ton of support from SEGA Sports and EA Sports. Both are great for sports fans
Old 05-26-02, 06:16 PM
Banned

Just as a note: PS2 will be around longer than the X-box or GameCube... technically. The PS3 has already been announced to be Backward Compatable with the PS2 (I'm hoping for PS1 as well), so in 2005 when the PS3 is tentively planned for release here, you will still beable to use your PS2 game until atleast the PS4 in 2010.

Just pick the system you like the games for best, because that is all that matters. Find the games you need to own, and buy the system that plays those games.
Old 05-26-02, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by joshd2012
Just as a note: PS2 will be around longer than the X-box or GameCube... technically.
Why, has it been announced that the Xbox2 or Gametriangle (or whatever they'll be called) won't be backwards-compatible?
Old 05-26-02, 06:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Mike_AA
Don't forget the GC. It's gettin a ton of support from SEGA Sports and EA Sports. Both are great for sports fans

Sorry Mike, but if you bought the Cube expecting a good sports gaming machine, I think in a few months you realize that it was a mistake. It's mediocre for sports gaming at best.

Xbox = Best Sports Gaming Machine. End of story.
Old 05-26-02, 06:25 PM

Just as a note: PS2 will be around longer than the X-box or GameCube... technically. The PS3 has already been announced to be Backward Compatable with the PS2 (I'm hoping for PS1 as well), so in 2005 when the PS3 is tentively planned for release here, you will still beable to use your PS2 game until atleast the PS4 in 2010.
You can't say PS2 will be around longer than the Gamecube or Xbox because neither of those systems have announced plans for their next consoles. For all we know, all three consoles might end up with backward compatability (especiallly since it is a feature that a lot of consumers seem to like). Be careful with your assumptions.
Old 05-26-02, 06:30 PM
Banned

I only can say what has been said. It is true that Nintendo and Microsoft have not reported on their next consoles. Using the facts that have been presented up to this date, the only console which is confirmed to be backwards capable is the PS3, therefore, it is the only one you can comment on being backwards capable, which I did.

Don't be bitter.
Old 05-26-02, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

No one's being bitter, but you said:

Just as a note: PS2 will be around longer than the X-box or GameCube...
That's a lot different than:

It is true that Nintendo and Microsoft have not reported on their next consoles.
Old 05-26-02, 06:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ctyner
No one's being bitter, but you said:

That's a lot different than:

Using the facts that have been made public, that statement is true. It will remain true until either Nintendo or Microsoft or both announce that their next-generation consoles will be backwards capable.
Old 05-26-02, 07:41 PM

Using the facts that have been made public, that statement is true.
Amend that to say, "Using the facts that have been made public plus several assumptions on my part, that statement is true, at least in my mind." (which, of course, makes it your opinion, not fact)
Old 05-26-02, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Using the facts that have been made public, that statement is true. It will remain true until either Nintendo or Microsoft or both announce that their next-generation consoles will be backwards capable.
Re-read your original post. You don't state that there's insufficient information on the part of Microsoft and Nintendo to make that sort of call. With "Just as a note: PS2 will be around longer than the X-box or GameCube...", you imply that the Playstation 3 will be the only backwards-compatible console. Say what you mean...mean what you say...
Old 05-26-02, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Flay
Buy the PS2GameBox. It's only $549.97.

Yep, there is no other way to go. There are must have games for all the systems and the only way to play them is to own all three. Just buy one now and wait a couple months to buy another then wait a couple of months and buy the last one. Buy the one right now that you will get the most out of (has the most games out you want to play).
Old 05-26-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by ctyner
Re-read your original post. You don't state that there's insufficient information on the part of Microsoft and Nintendo to make that sort of call. With "Just as a note: PS2 will be around longer than the X-box or GameCube...", you imply that the Playstation 3 will be the only backwards-compatible console. Say what you mean...mean what you say...
I expect the Xbox2 if it is made to be backwards compatible. I would be surprised to see Nintendo do that. They could surprise me however I would be shocked to see the GC2 be backwards compatible.

If you like the Games for the PS2 then buy that if not then buy the system with the games you like the most of.

I could tell you what I would do but that assumes you have the same game interests as me.

As far as support the PS1 is still being sold by Sony and supported so I would not be worried at all about finding the PS2 being supported. It will be supported into the PS3 generation much like the PS1 is being supported into this generation.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.