Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

No GTA3 for Xbox or GCN

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-02, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
No GTA3 for Xbox or GCN

Rockstar announced at E3 that they would not put out GTA3 for any other platforms. I asked them personally why they chose to do this and the exhibitor said "how should I know?" They are actually smug/rude a-holes... true "rockstar" mentality. Strange behavior since their booth consisted only of games that were already available and they had nothing new going on that I could see. They did have the PC version of GTA3 available to play with, but I honestly didn't see all that much difference.

I was hoping for an Xbox version of this so I could get some 5.1 surround going with some better graphics and such. If I had to guess why they chose not to produce an Xbox version, I'd say because they were lazy... more likely though was some money deal struck with Sony.

Sorry if this is duplicate info. My search didn't pull up anything about this.

Edit: It was actually Sony that made the announcement as pointed out by belboz - see his post (2 below this one) to have the rest of the gaps filled in as my report here has been written by a very sleepy person.

Last edited by Trigger; 05-26-02 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-26-02, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: No GTA3 for Xbox or GCN

Originally posted by Trigger
I asked them personally why they chose to do this and the exhibitor said "how should I know?"
*sigh* What an idiot. His companies most successful game and thats his answer at the gaming industries largest convention of the year?

Well thanks for the info
Old 05-26-02, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was announced on Tuesday. I don't know if it got its own thread, but I definitely saw someone mention it in one of the threads here.

"Take-Two announced a sequel to GTA3, to be called "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City," on Tuesday. The game will ship Oct. 22, and Sony said the "Grand Theft Auto" franchise will now be exclusive to the PS2." (emphasis mine)

http://reuters.com/news_article.jhtm...StoryID=991108

So it may be worse than just GTA3 being a PS2 exclusive, it looks like maybe Sony bought the rights to the whole franchise. If the wording in the article is accurate, we may not be seeing any GTA games on XBox or GC at all.
Old 05-26-02, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're right - my mistake... it was indeed Sony that announced it. I forgot while writing that, but I did pose the question to the Rockstar rep correctly at least. Also - thanks for filling in the gaps there... If this was mentioned before within another thread, surely this information at least deserves its own thread since so many people were waiting for the Xbox version.

Since Sony has the rights now, does that mean there won't be any more PC versions after this either? That was my next question to the exhibitor, but his ignorance and attitude just made me walk away.
Old 05-26-02, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No big deal. I'll just pick up the PC version that just came out....
Old 05-26-02, 10:28 AM
Banned

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=209306

A couple post down it is mentioned with the link. This news was reported at the same time they announced Vice City.
Old 05-27-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'll tell you why they did it-$$$. Sony made a deal with them, and it was just too good for them to pass up.
Old 05-27-02, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Drexl
I'll tell you why they did it-$$$. Sony made a deal with them, and it was just too good for them to pass up.
I agree... well at least it's just until 2004. I wasn't going to reply to this thread since joshd2012 linked to the other thread cuz I didn't want to bump this, but since you already did... When I searched, I searched for GTA3 instead of GTA which is why I didn't see that thread. Anyway - I'm sure money was it, but I just wanted to see what they would say.
Old 05-27-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Trigger

Since Sony has the rights now, does that mean there won't be any more PC versions after this either?
It has been my understanding from everything i've read that the games will still come out for the PC (i assume ports after the PS2 release) because the PC is not considered a competing platform so Sony is allowing it.