Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter: good blind purchase?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-02, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This upcoming week Futureshop is gonna have the Harry Potter DVD's on sale for one day only, the price drop is about $10.00 and i was thinking about possibly picking this one up just for the heck of it.

Question, as a 19 year old male who has never seen or read any of the HP books, and knows pretty much nothing about the Potter "World", would i enjoy this movie at all? IF this is any importance, i also enjoyed LOTR.

The review for this disc seems to be good all around, but i have not read any indepth for fear of learning too much about the plot before seeing it (trying to keep the suspence should i choose to buy it)

any input is apprecaited
Old 05-25-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd recommend renting it first.

The Harry Potter books are great because they're kids' books that are also very enjoyable for adults. The movie was more kidsy, in my opinion, and I'm not sure how much replay value it might have.

- David Stein
Old 05-25-02, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am a fantasy fan, and I would say yes.
Old 05-26-02, 08:59 AM

well if i am getting you right for one day they are dropping $10 of the price so that should make it only cost ya $10 to buy it i say go for it. at ten bucks ya cant go wrong. thats i sonly a few bucks more than if ya were to rent it. but thats only is i am getting ya right with the ten bucks off thing... i have never seen this movie yet. but i blind pre orderd it.. but i also have kids.. so it will get reply alot...LOL..
Old 05-26-02, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say no. I recommend renting it first.
Old 05-27-02, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by movieholic
well if i am getting you right for one day they are dropping $10 of the price so that should make it only cost ya $10 to buy it i say go for it. at ten bucks ya cant go wrong. thats i sonly a few bucks more than if ya were to rent it. but thats only is i am getting ya right with the ten bucks off thing... i have never seen this movie yet. but i blind pre orderd it.. but i also have kids.. so it will get reply alot...LOL..
The $10 was just a rough estimate, i dont really know how much the disc will retail normally here in Canada, but @ $19.99 it seemed like a decent deal for a new 2-disc set.
Old 05-27-02, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BUY IT. This movie rules, i'm rushing out to Future Shop tomorrow morning to get mine, then all my friends (roughly the same age as you) are coming over to watch Harry Potter (and then the leaf game...go leafs go) and I would say it's easily recommended for purchase... heck, if you don't like it, this will be an easy disc to trade off right away...

MATT
Old 05-27-02, 06:20 PM

This movie has an instant classic feel to it and I'd recommend
it to anyone. Colombus has done a terrific job here and he's
blessed with a Shakspearean performance from Alan Rickman.
Get the widescreen and the full frame versions.
Old 05-27-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Never read the books, didn't catch it in the theatre...

definite RENTAL for me.

-k
###
Old 05-28-02, 01:52 PM

If you have kids, definitely pick it up.
If it's just you, then you might want to think about it more.
It's a great movie, but I haven't found myself wanting to watch it again.
My friend had a screener version of it a while back and I just didn't feel like watching it.
So, unless you are a collector or really found yourself into things such as D&D and other sci-fi fantasy when you were a kid I don't suggest buying it (unless you get the $10 deal).

--kev
Old 05-28-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm surprised you received even one positive response on this movie. IMO, it's poor even by Chris Columbus standards. I can't even recommend a rental (tho' I would recommend picking up the book).
Old 05-28-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Great movie" is probably stretching it a bit. "The feel of an instant classic" makes me wonder if we even saw the same film.

To the people who thought this was an above-average film: What did you like about it, in particular?

I found the script actually quite tedious. Too many side-plots and extraneous details that work quite well in a novel, but tend to be grating dead-ends as a film. Cases in point:
Spoiler:
Hagrid's dragon, Filch and his cat, the "howler in the library" bit, Neville Longbottom's entire presence in the film, and even the Quidditch match
. Since I've read the novel, which as a medium can get away with a slower pace and broader story, I understand why each of these played a role in the central plot; but I found them woven into the film clumsily at best, as if inserted merely to present "the whole book as a film." EDITING, guys... it's important.

The acting was hit-or-miss. Hermione stands out as a solid performance. Potter, Dumbledore, Hagrid, and Vernon Dursley were fine. Everyone else turned in a mediocre performance, except Draco Malfoy and Neville Longbottom, who really blew their roles (even as hopelessly oversimplified as they were.)

The atmosphere of the school was nice, but got lost in the second half of the movie. The CGI effects were particularly bad for Fluffy (a friend honestly wondered if they'd used Claymation for that part) and the Quidditch match (which was not only quite boring, but also a blatant ripoff of The Phantom Menace's "blast 'em with frantic CGI and ear-splitting sfx" pod race. Danny Elfman actually did a nice job with the musical score.

That's my more detailed review. I'd like to see a point-counterpoint response from a fan of the film.

- David Stein
Old 05-28-02, 05:43 PM

There are some good advice on the thread already, but here is my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I am a fantasy fan and when I saw the movie in the theaters, I thought it was a fun movie to watch. It was funny and had some good special effects. It does have a cute story and kids will watch it over and over.

But I am not in any rush to add it to my collection. If you can get it for say under $10, then go for it. If you don't like it, you can always give it away to your nieces/nephews/cousins or sell it on Ebay.

Now LOTR is a different story. I am waiting for that release.
Old 05-29-02, 01:21 AM

Well, thanks for all your input everyone........ But as fate would have it, i ended up not even having time to go by Futureshop today....

Probably turned out for the better, as i really didn't see myself watching this movie more than 2 or 3 times.
Old 05-29-02, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think you would have liked it. My gf loved the book and forced me to watch it with her (I have 0 interest) in the theatres.

It was an okay movie, you have to be a fan to really appreciate all the little details and discrepancies of the movie. I thought some parts are pretty strong, while others are pretty weak. Overall, it is a good kids/book fan movie so I bought it anyway for my gf. Made her smile and that's what matters
Old 05-29-02, 09:04 PM

I can't believe all the hype concerning this movie.
Luckily I rented it first.
It's a total kids movie and not a very good one.
I wouldn't consider this unless you have younger children.
Old 05-30-02, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is Roger Ebert's take on the movie. Note I snipped the review as the middle part contains many spoilers:

BY ROGER EBERT

HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE

**** (PG)

''Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is a red-blooded adventure movie, dripping with atmosphere, filled with the gruesome and the sublime, and surprisingly faithful to the novel. A lot of things could have gone wrong, and none of them have: Chris Columbus' movie is an enchanting classic that does full justice to a story that was a daunting challenge. The novel by J.K. Rowling was muscular and vivid, and the danger was that the movie would make things too cute and cuddly. It doesn't. Like an "Indiana Jones" for younger viewers, it tells a rip-roaring tale of supernatural adventure, where colorful and eccentric characters alternate with scary stuff...

During "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," I was pretty sure I was watching a classic, one that will be around for a long time, and make many generations of fans. It takes the time to be good. It doesn't hammer the audience with easy thrills, but cares to tell a story, and to create its characters carefully. Like "The Wizard of Oz," "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," "Star Wars" and "E.T.," it isn't just a movie but a world with its own magical rules. And some excellent Quidditch players.
Click here to read Roger Ebert's full -spoiler filled- review, of Harry Potter.
Old 05-30-02, 06:09 PM

Whether you like the movie or not, the DVD totally sucks. WB has totally scre*wed up on the production of this disc.
Here is a list of things I hate about this disc:
    In short this disc is a fine example of everything that can be done wrong while producing a DVD. Two thumbs down.

I love the movie though. Not as good as the novel. Not even close. But it was good.

Last edited by Hobgoblin; 06-01-02 at 02:47 PM.
    Old 05-31-02, 11:14 PM
    DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
    Hobgoblin,

I've heard many complaints about the subpar transfer quality of the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone DVD and the fact that Disc 2 is very cumbersome to navigate.

This is where I kiss my copy of the Atlantis: The Lost Empire Collector's Edition box. Buena Vista Home Entertainment did a masterful job in regards to navigation on both discs of this CE set, and in my humble opinion has probably produced the best Supplementary Features second disc around, no contest.

It doesn't hurt that the digital-to-digital transfer of Atlantis was very top notch, too.
    Old 06-01-02, 01:02 AM
    Suspended - needs to provide a working email

effects not bad. but they stick too much to the novel and lost the cinematic effect. hated the ending.
    Old 06-01-02, 11:31 AM
    DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sfsdfd
    Danny Elfman actually did a nice job with the musical score.
    except that John Williams did the score.
    which didn't surprise me at all when I saw the credits since the main theme sounds so much like the main theme from Schindler's List.
    Old 06-01-02, 01:41 PM

I watched this movie without reading the books at all and as a 21 year old, I thought it was pretty good. There were some good special effects.
    Old 06-01-02, 02:59 PM

For me, part of the thrill of the movie was in seeing the characters and events that I read in the novel come alive. The movie is a very watered down version of the novel, which is way better.

I hope Warner will revisit this disc and make a special edition release sometime soon. With the video/audio fixed of course.
    Old 06-01-02, 04:59 PM
    DVD Talk Limited Edition

you know, when I saw this movie in theaters, I thought it was good, but not great. Just a solid 3/4star film. I reluctantly bought the dvd, and surprisingly have watched it several times during the last week. I have put it on as background several times. This movie continues to grow on me. I have never read the books and may very well never. What I like most about the film is how well acted the parts are for kid roles. Even though I haven't read the books, I agree with whoever above said that Draco was underused. Many characters were underused, but the movie was already bordering on way too long for a family film.

I could really care less about Harry Potter. I think Ron, Hermione, and even Draco are much more interesting characters. Ron and Hermione are just great. Their friendly banter will no doubt transform into flirtation as they get older. I expect Ron and Hermione will be found down in the dungeon doing the dirty deed while Harry is upstairs playing with his wand.....but I digress. The point is, Harry is quite dull compared to his friends.
    Old 06-01-02, 06:01 PM

i love this movie... i also have watched it lots of times since getting it tuesday morning... very good story..i also bought it both widescreen and fullscreen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.