Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tchaikovsky thoughts + Who is your favorite composer?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Tchaikovsky thoughts + Who is your favorite composer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-02, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tchikovsky thoughts, and what is your favorite composer?

Does anyone out there like Tchaikovsky as much as me right now? I swear I've been listening to the symphonies (6+manfred) on repeat for the last week or so.. He's definitely my new favorite composer. I was never much of a fan of the "romantic" period (mozart and beethoven being my previous favorites) but I was introduced to the 6th symphony by Tchaikovsky a few months ago (and to the 1st piano concerto.. wow) and I can't get enough. What are your favorite composers and what is it about them that you like? To me, Tchaikovsky has this weird power about his music.. it's very passionate, very moving.. I don't know, I can't describe it.

Personal stats: I grew up on classical (mainly general compilations with wagner, beethoven, mozart, etc.. some of tchaikovsky's ballet music but i never really got into that for some reason, until now).. spend my teenage years going from rock to blues to metal, but returned to classical after that teenage "phase" . Favorite was always mozart, but now I see that I've been missing out all these years.

- Toxygen
Old 05-25-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like just about all of the russian romantics - though I couldn't even to begin to spell most of their names.

The romantic movment always spoke to me more than the classicalists. All that prescision and counterpoint makes me edgy.

I like Rachmaninov alot, though I had no idea who he was until I saw that movie a few years ago....whatever it was.
Old 05-25-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll get the obvious ones outta the way... Mozart and Beethoven were a couple of geniuses. I never tire of their compositions.

And yes, Tchaikovsky wrote many great pieces. Come on, how 'bout that "Nutcracker Suite" or "Piano Concerto no. 1".

I also dig Stravinsky, "The Rite of Spring" being his most well-known. I love throwing that on and just "zone out".
Old 05-25-02, 08:05 PM

do you mean "Shine"? After i saw that movie i was obsessed with the rach 3.. i got all his other concertos (concerti?) as well.. I like him a lot too, but russian romantic music tends to be a bit depressing.. well not always but when you're down, it's a bit much

- Toxygen
Old 05-25-02, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoy Tchaikovsky. But despite it being trite in saying so, Mozart is my favorite.

I will try out other composers for awhile, and enjoy them, but I always come back to Mozart.
Old 05-25-02, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
I like beautiful piano compositions, hence Schubert is my favorite composer.
Old 05-25-02, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

~Scheherazade
Old 05-26-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tend to like those who were also quite the virtuoso on their instrument: Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt, Rachmaninov & Paganini.
Old 05-26-02, 01:18 PM

With regards to piano music, I'd have to say that Brahms is my favorite, with Chopin close behind.
I *love* Brahms's Hungarian Dances, and Chopin's Polonaises (helps that I've played many of them myself, too )