Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Lord of The Rings: Fellowship of The Ring (Disc One reviews)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Lord of The Rings: Fellowship of The Ring (Disc One reviews)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-02, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lord of The Rings: Fellowship of The Ring

It's just a little snippet of what to expect.

This individual seems pretty excited about what he's seen. He got a very early copy of the first disc of the set and is blown away by it. Needless to say he loves the movie so you won't get an unbiased opinion there but he does think the DVD is outstanding.

Anyway, you can read here about it.

Lord of The Rings Review
Old 05-25-02, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Eclipse registering a new username? sfsdfd thinks that's bogus and he doesn't like it.

- David Stein
Old 05-25-02, 07:40 AM

i say thats a bogus review.... this person aint got no copy... if he does how come he does not metion any extra features, video quality, sound etc.. and them pictures he shows have been on the net for awile now... so i doubt he has the dvd. he just trying to make people think he does..

i only belive dvd info from this site thats it...
Old 05-25-02, 01:35 PM

Well, sorry if this bothered anybody.

I picked it off of the The One Ring website. They pointed it out to me so I am only passing on what I saw.

Don't accuse me of being someone I am not.

I thought I would offer a little something but considering you accused me of making this up then fine I will not bother to offer any info in the future.

Later
Old 05-25-02, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Doesn't look too realistic a review to me. Who doesn't get the second disc sent to them? I learn nothing from this 'review' that I didn't already know when I saw the movie in theaters... Will wait and see when other reviews pop up to get a better idea.
Old 05-27-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SystemLord
Well, sorry if this bothered anybody.
SystemLord: Nonono, I wasn't accusing you of anything. I was just commenting on your posting-in-the-third-person style, which has been heavily (over)used by our long-time member Eclipse. Was just poking some fun at you.

- David Stein
Old 06-05-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason I think it is bogus is because of his Harry Potter review, he called it:

Harry Potter and the Sourcer's Stone (anyone notice anything wrong there?). He also talks about Dolby Digital 5.2 instead of correctly stating it Dolby Digital 5.1 EX. I know this is just one review, but sometimes you have to question.
Old 06-05-02, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, there are several reasons to doubt the validity of this 'review.' Since the disc is two months away, those not sure about a purchase have plenty of time to read a more reputable site's review in for the release date. But for me, and I don't feel like I'm in the minority here, I don't need any review to reassure me about the DVD. I will run headlong into the nearest retailer first thing in the morning on August 6th and will surely do the same for the 4 disc set.
Old 06-05-02, 03:19 PM
Cool New Member

Well i actually think it is a proper review.. The reason he has no extras to review is if you actually read his review you'd find he was sent only 1 disc..

The extras most likely are still being finished..

Your only jealous that he got a copy (i know i am)

Lucky Bastard

I will reiterate Cornfed - No matter what ANY reviews say.. Lord of the rings is the DVD what is 100% going in my collection..

If there's one DVD i get this year it's that..

Last edited by Damo; 06-05-02 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-05-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I was at a film festival/convention this past weekend, and one of the vendors was selling LOTR:FOTR DVDs (obvious bootlegs), but the 2.35:1 picture quality was amazing. Had professional looking artwork that matched the movie posters, etc.

I'll bet that guy with the review got his mitts on a boot, and just wanted to write about it.
Old 06-10-02, 02:22 AM

Anyone know when we get to find out what the extras are going to be on the extended version? I'd hate to have to buy both these suckers.
Old 06-10-02, 03:31 AM
Uber Member

Originally posted by brandybran
Anyone know when we get to find out what the extras are going to be on the extended version? I'd hate to have to buy both these suckers.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=204501
Old 06-10-02, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I wonder if this guy's DVD has 'Property of New Line Cinema' scrolling across the bottom every once in a while.
Old 06-16-02, 12:16 AM
ryanwong

I also have a copy of LOTR DVD

I have got myself a Lord of the Rings DVD. That is the 1st disc from the 2 disc edition DVD and I think someone has steal it from New Line Cinema and distributed it.

So, from here I can give you a little review on it.
Video: the anamorphic widescreen looked excellent in my widescreen TV set. But I think the video has been compressed a little bit due to the DTS soundtrack and 3 hours length on one disc. But still look good. So I think it will look better in the original DVD version which is going to come out on August. Forgot to mention, there is no 'Property of New Line Cinema' scrolling across the bottom every once in a while.

Sound: Did I mention DTS soundtrack? Yes! It has the DTS soundtrack, which the original DVD version doesn't has. It sound excellent and better than the Dolby Digital track. And believe me it is not recorded and reproduced from DD track.

Menu: Looked nice. Same as the menus as I saw in other DVD site.

Feature: Disc one's menu has "special feature". But when you selected on it, it will tell you to insert disc two.

So, I'll wait for the 2 disc edition, as well as the extened version. It definitely will look much better than the one I am having now. (August is coming soon)
Old 06-16-02, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: I also have a copy of LOTR DVD

Originally posted by ryanwong
I have got myself a Lord of the Rings DVD. That is the 1st disc from the 2 disc edition DVD and I think someone has steal it from New Line Cinema and distributed it.

So, from here I can give you a little review on it.
Video: the anamorphic widescreen looked excellent in my widescreen TV set. But I think the video has been compressed a little bit due to the DTS soundtrack and 3 hours length on one disc. But still look good. So I think it will look better in the original DVD version which is going to come out on August. Forgot to mention, there is no 'Property of New Line Cinema' scrolling across the bottom every once in a while.

Sound: Did I mention DTS soundtrack? Yes! It has the DTS soundtrack, which the original DVD version doesn't has. It sound excellent and better than the Dolby Digital track. And believe me it is not recorded and reproduced from DD track.

Menu: Looked nice. Same as the menus as I saw in other DVD site.

Feature: Disc one's menu has "special feature". But when you selected on it, it will tell you to insert disc two.

So, I'll wait for the 2 disc edition, as well as the extened version. It definitely will look much better than the one I am having now. (August is coming soon)
Wow. You think someone stole it from New Line; so you don't know where you got it from but you have and inkling that whoever you got it from didn't attain it legally? New Line is only releasing a DTS track on the extended cut. The review in question in the first post is allegedly reviewing an early screener of a DVD that New Line intends to release on August 6th. The reviewer supposedly has the first disc of the 2-disc set, which will not have DTS audio. What you have is something that didn't come from New Line.
Old 06-16-02, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
As much as I would like a (DVD) copy of this, I will hold out.
Old 06-24-02, 04:44 AM

My friend has one here in Malaysia. It's anarmophic widescreen with fake DTS sound (which I believe is commonly done on the bootleg copy in Malaysia).

I can't wait to see the real copy.

Last edited by yatlee; 06-24-02 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-24-02, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by yatlee
My friend has one here in Malaysia. It's anarmophic widescreen with fake DTS sound (which I believe is commonly done on the bootleg copy in Malaysia).

I can't wait to see the real copy.
I don't think there's any reason to doubt the real DVD will be better than bootlegs. But I'm not sure of the need to chime in on the quality of these bootlegs in the DVD reviews forum. Bootlegs are not discussed on DVDtalk. Any reviews for Lord of the Rings DVDs on this forum should only be reviews of the August 6th or November 12th releases from New Line.

(removed review information...-Blade)
Old 06-25-02, 10:18 AM
Cool New Member

I have one of the copies with the 'Property of New Line Cinema' scrolling across the bottom every once in a while. I just got it from a friend. Can anyone tell me where this bootleg comes from?? Was it stolen from New Line and distributed??

Anyways, still looking forward to august 6th
Old 06-25-02, 01:28 PM
Uber Member

Thanks for respecting our bootleg policy.

MovieMan11779, the "'Property of New Line Cinema" stuff probably means it's a screener copy issued to the judges for the Oscars.

It's possible it was stolen, but it's more likely that one of the owners of a screener sold it somehow.

Exactly how, however, is information that is not open for discussion on our boards.
Old 07-07-02, 01:09 AM

LOTR:Fellowship DVD "review" at Aintitcool.com

This isn't really an in-depth review of the DVD, but Harry from Aintitcoolnews.com apparently got a copy of the movie disc from the August release of LOTR.

There isn't an in-depth discussion of the audio/video of the DVD, but apparently some interesting changes have been made and there's some talk of the video quality of the DVD.

Again, not a full-blown review but enough to tide us over until the first "real" review hits.

Here's the link:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=12664
Old 07-07-02, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Is this like when he got an advance copy of the list of Oscar nominations, which turned out to be completely different from the real nominations when they were announced?
Old 07-07-02, 12:52 PM

Must be.
Old 07-07-02, 03:43 PM
Banned

um, that was a review? man, what a terrible site.
Old 07-07-02, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I thought I'd add this link to the fray:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2002/07/0...d_review.shtml

And also, maybe we should merge this thread with the one about Harry from Aintitcool reviewing the DVD.

EDIT: Here's another http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1025894867

None of the reviews are really good but might serve as reassurances that New Line didn't totally mess it up.

Last edited by Cornfed; 07-07-02 at 04:13 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.