Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

somebody talk me out of buying a gamecube!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with the pricedrops, i'm finally "in"....

always thought i'd buy the PS2....

getting sucked in by mario and zelda...

what to do?

[note]x-box is NOT a factor[/note]
Old 05-24-02, 01:04 PM
Banned

If Mario and Zelda are your thing, than you have no choice but to get a GameCube.
Old 05-24-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

cube =
Old 05-24-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

buy it... its a great system with a ton of games coming out in the near future
Old 05-24-02, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm confused. Chess specifically asks to be talked OUT of buying a Gamecube, but everybody encourages it. On that note, I sure hope somebody DOESN'T send me the money to buy all 3 of the new systems and at least two good games for each.
Old 05-24-02, 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by sexy_overlord
I'm confused. Chess specifically asks to be talked OUT of buying a Gamecube, but everybody encourages it. On that note, I sure hope somebody DOESN'T send me the money to buy all 3 of the new systems and at least two good games for each.
GameCube gives you cancer in your gonads! (That is about the best I can do)
Old 05-24-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Discs are small. You will lose them.
Old 05-24-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With all the great games out now and on the way you'll waste all your time playing video games and fall behind on your masturbating.
Old 05-24-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 05-24-02, 02:39 PM
Mod Emeritus

Would it make a difference if I told you both Bill Clinton and Al Gore own an Xbox?

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 05-24-02 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-24-02, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Kellehair
With all the great games out now and on the way you'll waste all your time playing video games and fall behind on your masturbating.
Maybe Nintendo should come up with something that pleasures you while you play. I can see the headlines now. "Game system handles player's joystick."
Old 05-24-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: somebody talk me out of buying a gamecube!

Originally posted by chess
with the pricedrops, i'm finally "in"....

always thought i'd buy the PS2....

getting sucked in by mario and zelda...

what to do?

[note]x-box is NOT a factor[/note]
Keep in mind that you won't see mario or zelda until 2003. And the way nintendo keeps going, probably mid to late 2003. And you'll only see ONE mario, and ONE zelda, i highly doubt you'll see a second of either of these characters on this system, at the rate its going.

Also keep in mind that third party support for gamecube has been weaker than with PS2.

I'm not trying to console bash, but i have a freind right now who's kinda dissatisfied with his 'cube purchase. The good games are few and FAR between. The only games he's enjoyed on Cube are the ports from PS2 (madden, nba street, baseball)

For only 50$ more i think PS2 is the way to go. (You'll make up that 50 bucks on memory cards alone)

EDIT TO ADD:

A: Greatest hits... 19.99
B: New 39.99 Price on all PS2 games according to IGN. 10$ cheaper than 'Cube.

$0.02

You sound like you're already in line for the 'Cube... So enjoy.

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 05-24-02 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-24-02, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keep in mind that you won't see mario or zelda until 2003. And the way nintendo keeps going, probably mid to late 2003. And you'll only see ONE mario, and ONE zelda, i highly doubt you'll see a second of either of these characters on this system, at the rate its going.
I'm pretty sure Mario is coming in August 2002. As for Zelda, it is taking a long time, but so did Zelda: TOOT, and there were still 2 Zelda games for the N64.

New 39.99 Price on all PS2 games according to IGN. 10$ cheaper than 'Cube.
I believe Nintendo is dropping their prices as well. Some games, including Eternal Darkness, can now be pre-ordered for $30.
Old 05-24-02, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I owned N64 and never had a PSX. That's actually part of the reason I got a PS2 at launch; the backwards compatability was a real selling point for me. People complained about the weak PS2 launch lineup, and the drought of good games until last June. I was busy playing all the Square RPGs I'd missed, though.

I'm glad I got to catch up, but I think I got the better end buying the N64 over PSX. The two most exciting games of that console generation were Mario 64 and Zelda:OOT, followed closely by Goldeneye.

I bought a Gamecube Tuesday. I'm keeping my PS2, but I sold off a bunch of my games to cut into the costs of the 'cube.

Nintendo is pretty much a known quantity. They will probably have the weakest third-party support in this generation, but their first-party exclusives will be terrific. Metroid will probably compare pretty favorably to Halo, Mario Sunshine and Wario World will be the best platformers anywhere, and Zelda will probably be pretty great, even if it's not the game we might have hoped for.

I'm holding out hopes for a more "realistic" Zelda game on the cube in a year or so. N64 had Ocarina first, then Majora's Mask, so maybe Gamecube will get two games as well.

I'm a little concerned about Nintendo's anemic showing at E3. They had the most exciting lineup, but it was the same lineup they've been showing for months. I'm hoping they're holding their cards for now, so they can generate bigger buzz with their surprises at their Spaceworld show, when they don't have to compete with the other platforms for attention.

There must be something is in the works at Rare other than Star Fox, and there's gotta be some Pokemon stuff in the works (hopefully near completion).
Old 05-24-02, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
i have a friend right now who's kinda dissatisfied with his 'cube purchase. The good games are few and FAR between. The only games he's enjoyed on Cube are the ports from PS2 (madden, nba street, baseball)
Why would a sports gamer get a Cube? He should consider the money spent as a Stupid Tax.
Old 05-24-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I really want to play Rouge Squadron II and go after those AT-ATs, and Crazy Taxi looks fun, but I know I wouldn't play any console enough to buy a lot of games, and most places have few Gamecube games for rent (a few places have zero). PS2 games are everywhere, and with the added compatability with PS1, there are more games out there than I'll ever need. Everything I've seen on the GC looks great, but I don't want to get stuck with another Intellivision here.
Old 05-24-02, 09:26 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by Jason
I really want to play Rouge Squadron II and go after those AT-ATs
Just hope the game doesn't lock up. I bought my GC on Tuesday, RS last night. Spent 25 minutes playing it, locked up 2 different times. Played it today for 30 minutes, locked up within the 1st 10

I shoulda spent my money on building my MAME cabinet
Old 05-24-02, 09:38 PM
Retired

Dek,

You might want to return the game for another copy, and if it still freezes, try to exchange the Gamecube for a new one.

I've had the Gamecube and Rogue Leader since launch, played the game a ton, and never had it freeze up once. You've got a problem somewhere.
Old 05-24-02, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
GameCube doesn't have a digital audio output. PS2 and XBox do, and XBox has Dolby Digital 5.1 FOR GAMES.

Dek, you're not blocking the vents on the sides are you?
Old 05-24-02, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Its not the vents. There have been reports since the launch of some copies of RL glitching up. The only game I know of doing it though. Return it for a new copy.
Old 05-24-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why would a sports gamer get a Cube?
The Cube's got all the big name sports titles and it's also got the exclusive Super Soccer Slam from SEGA.
Old 05-24-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hold off for an orange one and then by the time it comes stateside you may have changed your mind.

~Scheherazade
Old 05-24-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't watch these video's if you don't want a Gamecube:

Resident Evil

Mario Sunshine Trailer

Starfox Trailer

Metroid Prime Trailer

Zelda Trailer

Old 05-24-02, 10:26 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Kellehair

The Cube's got all the big name sports titles and it's also got the exclusive Super Soccer Slam from SEGA.
That soccer game isn't exclusive anymore. It's going to the PS2 and XBox. It was announced at E3.
Old 05-24-02, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jason
I'm in the same boat. I really want to play Rouge Squadron II and go after those AT-ATs, and Crazy Taxi looks fun, but I know I wouldn't play any console enough to buy a lot of games, and most places have few Gamecube games for rent (a few places have zero). PS2 games are everywhere, and with the added compatability with PS1, there are more games out there than I'll ever need. Everything I've seen on the GC looks great, but I don't want to get stuck with another Intellivision here.
With the exception of the ill-conceived Virtual Boy (ever stick your face in one of those?), Nintendo has never fielded a loser.

I don't like wasting money, and I think the XBox is a dangerous bet right now. Gamecube is pretty safe, because unlike Sony or Microsoft, Nintendo doesn't rely on third party license fees to make their money.

Nintendo's first party games sell like crazy on Nintendo consoles. Super Smash Bros. Melee, for example, has sold through over two million copies. With a user base of something like six million, that's an astonishing number. That game alone probably funded the price cut.

And Mario will sell more than that. And Metroid will be a million seller. And so will Zelda. And probably StarFox.

And those first party million sellers are probably worth two or three "Grand Theft Auto" or "Metal Gear Solid" games for Nintendo's profits, because they're getting all the profits, not just the licensing royalty.

Sega reported losses for years, and that's why it had to fold the Dreamcast. None of their games had the selling power of the Nintendo licenses. I don't think Between its first party titles and it's Game Boy moneymaking juggernaut, Nintendo has never had a year in the red that I'm aware of.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.