Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Eminem pre- & post-release discussion [+ tour chat]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Eminem pre- & post-release discussion [+ tour chat]

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eminem vs Internet Piracy

I tried to post this on the old "Eminem album leaked" thread, but since it degenerated into a ICP vs Eminem thread [along with what i have to assume were instructions how to find it] it was closed.

From ew.com:
"SOUND BITES ''The Eminem Show'' is becoming the Early Show. Eminem announced Friday that he's releasing his long-awaited follow-up to ''The Marshall Mathers LP'' on May 28, a week ahead of schedule. The reason, says Slim, is shady Internet pirates who've already made the album available for download. ''We had no choice,'' he said in a statement. The retail version offers one inducement to get fans to buy it in stores: a DVD with video clips and the trailer to Em's upcoming semiautobiographical movie ''8 Mile'' is included in the first 2 million copies...."

This makes no sense to me. But, then again, a LOT of things in the entertainment industry make no sense to me...
Old 05-20-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Not sure but maybe their releasing it a week early because then people will have the cd a week earlier instead of taking that week to pirate the cd
Old 05-20-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

He might lose a few thousand dollars or gain a few thousand by releasing it early
Old 05-21-02, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i'm glad he's releasing it early... i have the downloaded version, but i still can't wait to get my hands on the official release...and with that limited dvd, this is a release that will SELL...

I think its a smart move, as people would probably rather have the real version, and the longer they wait, the more fake cds hitting the streets...this way the bootleggers will have a smaller sales window...**** bootleggers

MATT

only 1 week till the world gets shadier...not two
Old 05-24-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i have a copy of this too. RNS ripped it 5-10. i'm surprised he only released it one week early, considering it's all over the internet. not sure why he thinks he's so special because quite a few albums get released a while before street date
Old 05-24-02, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Ð. þ¶åµ
not sure why he thinks he's so special because quite a few albums get released a while before street date
...and they STILL sell good.

I guess it's all about the product. Maybe he has no confidence in his? I don't know why -- especially with the bonus DVD.
Old 05-24-02, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eminem's The Eminem Show Release Date Moves To Sunday -- Kevin Raub
<small>
In an unheard of move in the record industry, Eminem's forthcoming album, The Eminem Show, will now be available in stores on Sunday (May 26).

Traditionally, albums are released in the United States on a Tuesday. While small mom and pop shops have long let go of albums a few days before the release date, only in extremely unorthodox circumstances would major retail chains be expected to release an album, especially one from an artist of this caliber, on any other day of the week.

"We found we were able to meet the demand and get The Eminem Show into the stores even earlier than expected," said Steve Berman, head of sales and marketing for Interscope Geffen A&M, in a statement released Friday (May 24). "Our mandate as a company was to put the album in listeners' hands the way Eminem intended them to get it, and to do it as quickly as possible to battle the problems we were having with illicit copying. We saw no reason to have fans waiting until Tuesday in this particular case."

This is the second release date change for The Eminem Show this week. The album was originally scheduled to hit stores June 4, but was moved up one week to Tuesday (May 28) (allstar, May 20) due to rampant Internet piracy. </small>

Great, now I can go pick it up after church.
Old 05-24-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Best Buy in Columbus, OH, broke the Sunday street date. I was just there and picked up a copy for $12.99. Went there for something else and was taken aback that the CD was out already.
Old 05-24-02, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
...and they STILL sell good.

I guess it's all about the product. Maybe he has no confidence in his? I don't know why -- especially with the bonus DVD.
yup...if i like an really album, i'll buy it, even though i have the mp3s. same goes for movies. i'll buy the dvd even though i got the bootleg months earlier.
Old 05-24-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by DJLinus
Best Buy in Columbus, OH, broke the Sunday street date. I was just there and picked up a copy for $12.99. Went there for something else and was taken aback that the CD was out already.
I wonder if the label will be hypocritical enough to go after them for breaking street date?
Old 05-24-02, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad they've decided to release it a week early. Although I'm not too fond of Eminem as a person, but his skills as a rapper have GREATLY improved over the first two albums. This is an album that all his fans NEED to have.
Old 05-24-02, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's on the DVD?
Old 05-24-02, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by bigjim25
What's on the DVD?
-"Just Don't Give a F***" video
-8 Mile trailer
-some live performance excerpts from Tramps in NYC (there's a couple of good freestyles there)
-a preview of the Eminem in Europe DVD that's coming out
-an episode of Eminem's cartoon (which is pretty bad)
-live version of "The Way I Am"

I think that's about it. It's a nice little extra, but nothing to write home about.

But the CD is great.
Old 05-25-02, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pushing it up early than expected allows them to ensure all retailers have it in stock by a set date and capatalize on all the press it has been getting as of late. I don't think they expect poor sales, just the free advertising is too good to pass up.
Old 05-25-02, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Add Best Buy, Circuit City, and FYE to that list of stores that broke street date for Eminem.

BB had it for $12.99, CC had it for $11.99, and FYE had it for $14.99!!!

While I was trying to find the new Marc Anthony [which is what I went there for], she checked BB's computer to see how much Eminem was...it listed on the site for $11.99.

It doesn't make sense to me why the prices on the site are cheaper than "in-store".

One store clerk explained it to me thusly --
"It's cheaper on the website since we make up the difference with shipping..."
Old 05-26-02, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Went to Best Buy, picked up 2 copies for $12.99. Went to Circuit City, picked up 2 copies for $11.99. Returned 2 copies to Best Buy. Will go to CC in the morning to get a credit (all cd's will be $9.99 or less Sunday and Monday).

I have only listened to about 5 tracks so far, and I like what I hear. Track 2 though-White America-I could do without.
Old 05-26-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just finished listening to the whole album. I probably need to give it two or three good listens to it to absorb it all but overall a big . Eminem has really grown as an artist over his last few albums and as always the production on the songs is great. Lots of catchy hooks and lines which will be both radio as well as MTV friendly but also lots of strong messages. Not a huge rap fan (... I like Tribe Called Quest, Outkast, etc.) but this is a great album. Rolling Stone Magazine called this the greatest rap album of all time. I'm not sure about that one. Any comments on this?

Old 05-26-02, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dont matter now just picked it up at Target,there selling it early everywhere because of this,with a free DVD,enjoy all its a great album.
Old 05-26-02, 05:48 PM

I like the cd thus far, i've only listened to it once, but its already starting to grow on me. It took me a couple times listening to his last one to get into it.
Old 05-27-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got it the Firday before the 28th
I already had it 10 days prior to the 28th, but I like the guys music so much I went ahead and gave him my $16 + I wanted the dvd

Anhow, a girl at the music store told me yesterday it's already topped the 1 million mark in sales!
Old 05-27-02, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Eminem Show already Platnium? / Favorite tracks?

A girl told me the new cd has already sold over 1 million copies. This was yesterday (Sunday) she told me this. I got mine on Friday and I think it's definitely possible. Just would like to see an article on this, if it's true.

Thanks

Also, what are your favorite tracks or any you don't care for??

Ones I really like:
Superman
White America
Drips (slims verse)
Business
My dads gone crazy (verse 2 is nice)
Say goodbye to Hollywood
Soldier

I don't think there are any songs I do NOT like. There is one or two where I don't care for the other people rapping.

I meant to start this post as a new thread, but hit reply instead. I also left Superman out which is one of my favs!!!
I can't find the songs on either cdnow or amazon so I was going off the top of my head....

Last edited by LX98Civic; 05-27-02 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-27-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This LP is a definite improvement over Marshall Mathers.

My fave tracks:

Business
Cleaning Out My Closet
Without Me
Hailie's Song
My Dad's Gone Crazy
Old 05-27-02, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Eminem Show already Platnium? / Favorite tracks?

Originally posted by LX98Civic

Also, what are your favorite tracks or any you don't care for??

Ones I really like:
White America
Drips
Business
Hallie's song (verse 2 is nice)
Say goodbye to Hollywood
Soldier

I don't think there are any songs I do NOT like. There is one or two where I don't care for the other people rapping.
Favs are...

Till I collapse (Favorite on the whole disk)
Business
Cleaning out closet
Hallies Song
Superman

I dont like White America, Drips that much.... but not saying they are bad, just my least favorite.
Old 05-27-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are any other stores checking ID? I went and picked up a copy at Super Target for 11.88 and they checked ID and had to enter my birthdate in the computer. What a joke. I love the Cd so far.
Old 05-28-02, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Surprised to hear that some don't like White America since it's the opening track. It pumps me up I love that song.
Wondering if it's the lyrics people aren't liking.....

Very few guest artists.....

Obie Trice (who is Em's next project) on "Drips"
D-12 on "When The Music Stops"
Dr. Dre on "What You Say"
Nate Dogg on "Till I Collapse"

I love "Collapse" and "Sing For The Moment"

"Square Dance" is also brilliant, hilarious.

the whole album is great. there are no tracks that i absolutely dislike yet.

Anger Management Tour should be great with Em, Ludacris, Xzibit and Papa Roach.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.