Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

A few more questions about import PS2(s)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-15-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided it would be better for me to get an import PS2 because all I want to play are RPGs. But I have a few questions for the knowledgable people here.

1. Would I need some kind of power convertor, or is the Japanese voltage standard close enough to the US?

2. Do American PS2 accessories work on Japanese PS2s? Mainly the memory card and controllers?

3. Can anyone cnfirm either way if the Japanese PS2 is becoming cheaper in the near future? Still, right now, amazon.co.jp is listing it for around $233US.

Thanks again for any info. Now I gotta get rid of my dreamcast.
Old 05-15-02, 01:17 PM

1. DO NOT get rid of your Dreamcast unless there's an emulator present (yeah, right)! It has great Japanese games available for it!

2. You should not need a stepdown convertor for Japanese consoles on American electrical sockets. I never needed one for my PS1, DC, & Saturn. I'm using my PS1 power cord for my PS2 since they're identical. Japan is 110v and the US 120v I believe. Europe is 240v. With a bit of electrical engineering knowledge, the ten volts shouldn't matter; however, the 120v difference will.

3. I don't believe there are any territoral lockouts on accessories by the hardware. Only lockout by game software such as gun accessories in the US because of Columbine scares. I never encounted any accessories lockouts on my systems.

4. Price cut will affect Japan after E3. Just wait a bit longer.
Old 05-15-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the information. I'm not in the loop though, when is E3?

And how do I know if I can play import games on my DC?

thanks
Old 05-15-02, 01:28 PM

Bottom line: It's safe to buy a Japanese system and US accessories sometime after E3.

I always buy the US accessories because they're cheaper, having longer cords for controllers, and are 5% larger in size unlike the Xbox controllers though.

Unless you're one of the hardcores that have to have the first model Japanese edition of a system, I recommend the US system since it'll be cheaper to obtain. There will be a better mod solution as time goes on. You'll be able to rent stuff at Blockbuster.

I'm a RPG lover too. But it's useless for me until my Japanese skills are better to enjoy those imports. So do what I do. Buy the imports but play by renting the domestic copies. Bear the ugly localizations knowing that I'll be able to play the import version someday when I'm better at Japanese.
Old 05-15-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never mind about when E3 is, with a little bit of research (aka going to their website) it sounds like E3 is May 21-24. I wonder how much longer after that before the Japanese console comes down in price?

As for import games, I plan to buy a few good RPGs and play the crap out of them. I have enough faiuth in my Japanese to play the imports in Japanese. I don't need the first edition of any console, quite the contrary, the newer ones probably have better DVD drivers. And since the only games I want to play are Japanese RPGs, I see no need to get a PS2 that only plays American games, even if it's cheaper.

Ma...toriaezu, matsu shika nee yo na.
Old 05-15-02, 01:36 PM

E3 is next week.

Dreamcast is the most universal console I've known to hit the market, with the exception of very, very late manufactured ones near the end of its life. No modding is needed to play US, JP, PAL, and CDR games. It itself is ready right out of the box.

To play them, you just burn a special Utopia boot CD downloaded off the net, or purchase one of those gameshark type CDs.

Just research on "DC warez" on Google to find out about playing imports on a US DC.