Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

XBOX price cut to $199 tomorrow! It's official, Target already selling them!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-02, 08:28 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like MS doesn't want to wait until E3! I'm going to finally get an xbox and halo!!!
Old 05-14-02, 08:36 PM

wow, is there any official confirmation?

Jerry
Old 05-14-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't find anything right now as of 11:27 pm, May 14th, 2002.

BestBuy.com is still listing the X-Box for $299 so is WalMart.com and CircuitCity.com.

We'll have to wait and see.

Robb
Old 05-14-02, 10:28 PM

It's official guys. I;ve got the story from some retailers today..

http://www.game2extreme.com/news/art...?articleid=231
Old 05-14-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If this is true, which it looks like it may very well be, Microsoft is pretty much saying "we got caught with our pants down".

Robb
Old 05-14-02, 10:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
If this is true, which it looks like it may very well be, Microsoft is pretty much saying "we got caught with our pants down".

Robb
How do you figure?
Old 05-14-02, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

How do you figure?
Well, originally they were suppose to do the price cut on the 23rd. After the price cut by Sony today, Microsoft contacted the stores to drop the xbox.
Old 05-14-02, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How do you figure?
The plan for Microsoft was allegedly to initiate the lower price after E3. They assumed Sony would do the same. Sony beat them to the punch, so to speak. Now Microsoft has to scramble and get the word out to it's retailers across the country to drop the price of the X-Box. This is all happening within a 24 hour period mind you. Don't forget that the orders for retailers are already in this month at the "old price". So they have to take that into consideration as well.

Well that's only my opinoin anyway.

Robb
Old 05-14-02, 10:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Cyberock

Well, originally they were suppose to do the price cut on the 23rd. After the price cut by Sony today, Microsoft contacted the stores to drop the xbox.
Yeah but caught with their pants down? Hardly. They were going to drop the price sooner or later. If anything, Sony looks like the insecure one here, since they jumped the E3 gun. MS is simply reacting a little sooner than the anticipated. If it was up to Sony, they'd still be gouging people for $300 in exhange for antiquated hardware. This is why it's better for everybody if nobody wins the console war.
Old 05-14-02, 10:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

Now Microsoft has to scramble and get the word out to it's retailers across the country to drop the price of the X-Box.
Isn't that basically what's going on with the PS2 and Sony right now?
Old 05-14-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah pretty much.....

And now for something completely different.....

Old 05-14-02, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not really they both were trying to out price drop each other and this one went to Sony . Sony shocked everyone. then instead of waiting a few days microsoft scrambled to drop also.

Frankly the real winner is anyone who waited to buy or bought from a retailer with a 30 day pricematch guarantee

Look Sony realizes that perception is real important to the casual consumer so it looks like Sony is the agressive one when they were responding to Microsoft behind the scenes. The problem is that no one saw the behind the scenes so it looks like Sony is dictating the marketplace not Microsoft. Had Sony waited then dropped their price after Microsoft it would have seemed to casual consumers that Microsoft was dictating the pricing.

Nothing is going to change much anyway. Sony will continue to outsell both the GC and Xbox combined this round.

I am just happy that my wish to get a cheaper GC just came a few dollars closer
Old 05-14-02, 11:15 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

XBox is now $199 at ebgames:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/default.asp
Old 05-14-02, 11:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

it'll be hardly noticeable by the consumer since the price drop is within 1 day of each other. It's not like the average consumer goes to a game store everyday to check for console prices.

Originally posted by gcribbs

not really they both were trying to out price drop each other and this one went to Sony . Sony shocked everyone. then instead of waiting a few days microsoft scrambled to drop also.

Frankly the real winner is anyone who waited to buy or bought from a retailer with a 30 day pricematch guarantee

Look Sony realizes that perception is real important to the casual consumer so it looks like Sony is the agressive one when they were responding to Microsoft behind the scenes. The problem is that no one saw the behind the scenes so it looks like Sony is dictating the marketplace not Microsoft. Had Sony waited then dropped their price after Microsoft it would have seemed to casual consumers that Microsoft was dictating the pricing.

Nothing is going to change much anyway. Sony will continue to outsell both the GC and Xbox combined this round.

I am just happy that my wish to get a cheaper GC just came a few dollars closer
Old 05-14-02, 11:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

Look Sony realizes that perception is real important to the casual consumer so it looks like Sony is the agressive one when they were responding to Microsoft behind the scenes.
The casual consumer has no idea the price war is even going on, the retailers haven't had time to promote it at all. It's going to end up looking like the price drops happened at the same time.

I think things could actually turn to Xboxes favor this winter if the PS2 doesn't have a exclusive killer game. By that time, people might realize they need a hard drive and a modem if they want to use the PS2 to its fullest potential. Once they realize that, barring a killer exclusive, there's no reason to pick the PS2 over the Xbox.

Also I think Nintendo might need more than a $50 price drop to stay in the game. If you were a casual consumer, would you buy a $150 gaming machine, or would you spend $50 more and get a DVD player/MP3 jukebox/gaming machine?
Old 05-14-02, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by IC_Freeze
it'll be hardly noticeable by the consumer since the price drop is within 1 day of each other. It's not like the average consumer goes to a game store everyday to check for console prices.

it was a news story this morning in my drive to work which is how i heard about it. a couple of people asked me what i thought(since i am considered a "computer person" I get all the geek questions ) about it.

so I figured that other radio stations and maybe morning news stories might have run stories on it.

if not then you might be right.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/Entert.../Game_Consoles

Last edited by gcribbs; 05-14-02 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-14-02, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet! Looks to me that I'll be getting a XBoX soon!
Old 05-15-02, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any word on the cube yet? If cube drops doesn't this totally help Nintendo more than anyone? I for one fought with myself trying to decide between PS2 and Cube, then decided on PS2 for the games. Now with the cubes games picking up later this year and the new price drop on all the consoles why not have both?
Old 05-15-02, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

These announcements are coming out like crazy! But one thing I don't understand is how the X-Box can drop $100 in price, I thought they were already losing money on each unit produced, I remember the buyer's price being $295, stores only making $5 off each one sold.

And its silly to think that there will not be any killer PS2 titles this winter, thats when all the biggest titles are released, there will be killer titles for all systems this winter and many have already been announced, the others we'll see hear at E3 .
Old 05-15-02, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

d'oh, i thought I was gonna be mr. cool guy and tell everyone about. I work at walmart distribution center and we got a s***load of flyers in and I looked through 'em for something good. Sure enough--X-box for 199.94. I see the thread about ps2, but the wally world ad did not mention it. Regardless, -- I'll take the xbox at that price. I had a ps2 and besides gta3, it didn't do it for me.
Old 05-15-02, 01:56 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
According to the Best Buy rep I spoke with tonight, there is no way X-Box and Gamecube will do price cuts.

Old 05-15-02, 02:06 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Outlaw
These announcements are coming out like crazy! But one thing I don't understand is how the X-Box can drop $100 in price, I thought they were already losing money on each unit produced, I remember the buyer's price being $295, stores only making $5 off each one sold.
I thought about this, too. But if dropping each system $100 causes more people to buy the system and $200+ worth of games, then why not?
Old 05-15-02, 02:12 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by dek
According to the Best Buy rep I spoke with tonight, there is no way X-Box and Gamecube will do price cuts.

You *must* go see the same guy tomorrow and watch him eat crow.
Old 05-15-02, 02:44 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA

You *must* go see the same guy tomorrow and watch him eat crow.

When I told him "No, XBox will be real soon and Nintendo will follow" his retort was :

Well, my sources here tell me no, and the Nintendo rep who was here 2 weeks ago said they wouldn't be cutting prices.

I said ok, but I'd be back to buy a Gamecube when the price dropped
Old 05-15-02, 06:11 AM

This price drop by Microsoft does nothing to help the Xbox gain ground on the PS2...

Both systems are still equally priced now. So why should Joe User buy an Xbox over the PS2 when the PS2 CLEARLY has a much better selection of games and more quality games than the Xbox does?

Don't get me wrong, I own a PS2, Xbox, and Game Cube. Bought them all on day one. I want the Xbox to be #1 since it is the best system in my opinion...

But, The Xbox only has a couple killer apps that arent already available elsewhere... Halo, DOA3 .... Anything else?

The PS2 still has alot of exclusive content and killer apps...

I think MS should have dropped the price to $149 to give themselves the advantage.

I hope E3 shows alot more killer apps for the Xbox... We shall see...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.