Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Should I try Civilization III?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-02, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I try Civilization III?

I almost always play shooters on my PC, but I'm interested in playing something else right now. I'm thinking about trying a strategy game, but I'm not sure. The only other strategy games I've played are Heroes II and Starcraft. I finished about 70% of Heroes before getting stuck and quitting, and I finished Starcraft and 70% of the expansion before getting sick of it (I loved the game but it consumed me for so long that I began to dislike it).

Anyway, I'm looking at Civilization III and Age of Empires II. Fortunately, there is a demo of AoE2, and I just finished it, but I think I'm already starting to not like it (due to Starcraft). I wish there was a demo for Civ III, but there isn't.

So, based on this long intro, do you think I will like Civ III? Or do you have a different recommendation (other than a shooter)?

Thanks
Old 05-12-02, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Civ 3 is turn-based strategy as opposed to AoE and Star Craft which are real-time strategy. This may not seem like that big a difference but to me it's all the difference in the world. I hate most RTS, including AoE2, but I love the Civ series. Some people might say Civ 3 isn't the best of the Civ series, prefering either Civ 2 or Alpha Centauri. Those are 2 of my favorite games but after playing Civ 3 I'm not sure I'll be able to go back to them. Civ 3 just has so many features, both large and small, not in found in thsoe games that seem essential to me now. The game does have some drawbacks though. For example, the AI cheats like crazy and I swear more often than not I lose battles I should win. Hopefully some of my problems with the game will be fixed by the expansion pack that's due out in the near future.

In the end I say you get it. This game is very addictive so there's a good chance you'll get your money's worth. Campains can take a week to finish and it's easy to play for almost an entire day because once you get a good Civ started it's hard to stop.
Old 05-12-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wholeheartedly recommend Civ III. Although, like Kellehair said, there is a significant difference between the real-time strategy games you have played before and the turn based, slower action of Civilization. I also think this is a good thing, but some people aren't into it. If you got hooked on Starcraft, and some first person shooters in the past though, civilization is the original compucrack and it may be the drug for you.

By the way, the one major complaint some people have about civilization is that it takes multiple days to get through one game (in many cases). That in and of itself isn't so bad, but you may see yourself trying to finish that game in one sitting anyway. Which is a good thing right?

My advice: go to Electronics Boutique or whatever you have near you with a liberal return policy. Buy Civlization III, last time I saw, EB (and others maybe) had the collectors edition on sale for 39.99- 10 dollars less than the regular. Great for beginners because it has the fold-out technology tree in the box. And, if you don't like it, you can bring back the whole thing and get Jedi Knight II or something.
Old 05-12-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoy it, but it's one of those games that you need to be prepared to spend some serious sessions with. You'll sit down to play and look up and be shocked that 6 hours has passed.

I loved (and still do) AoE II and really enjoy CivIII as well. Worth a try I suppose, but not sure if you got bored of Empires that easily. I'll prolly be playing that until it won't work on my computer anymore.

~Scheherazade
Old 05-13-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I also recommend Civ III. It's a great turn-based strategy game. I'd say I've spent more hours playing the Civ series of games than any other. It's quite addicting to say the least.

The expansion pack for Civ III is supposed to release this fall. Among the features are multiplay, more civs, and a turnless mode, which is a first for the Civ series. I'm quite intrigued about that option.

Also, Heroes of Might and Magic 4 was just released. There seems to be a lot of cool new features included, although multiplayer isn't part of the game yet.
Old 05-14-02, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ooo, a turnless mode sounds interesting. I hate having to sit there and wait so durn long, I really need a quicker computer

~Scheherazade
Old 05-14-02, 03:54 AM

man the first night I got Civ III i didn't sleep til 10am the next morning.