Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Does Amazon.com pricematch?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-02, 12:46 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried pricematching other online sites at Amazon? and if so how do we go
about it? Any success stories?

Thanks for any response.
Old 05-07-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not in the least bit. The only real appeal to using them, now that their prices are in the range of 25% off to full retail is using gift certificates or the Amazon NextCard.

No price matches at all.
Old 05-07-02, 02:35 PM

There are a couple of good things about amazon. The used shop sometimes has bargains. Very fast shipping. And with coupons, you can sometimes get great deals.
Old 05-07-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
That's funny!
Old 05-07-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have never bought anything from Amazon with out GC's.

Just buy from DDD, much easier.
Old 05-07-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a geat deal on a 100 $ gc on ebay, like 83 or something. Combine that with STL and a 10 dollar off coupon and I got a pretty handsome deal on some new releases.
Old 05-08-02, 10:57 AM

Price matching ?

If you mean that Amazon looks for the highest online price on a dvd and add a few dollars to create its price then YES .

I wonder how much longer will they be able to pull this off , since their prices are constantly on the higher range of any price search I've done lately .

My guess is that the whole things will go down if this continue , I'd be sorry to see this but think something good will come out of this ..

When it will happen someone will take over the Aamzon reputaion and hopefully will slim the whole company structure and website to the original books , movies and music with competetive prices .
Old 05-08-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They pricematch with themselves if their price goes down after you buy it. I'm not sure how soon you have to call it in, but I bought a cable modem which dropped $10, and they refunded me the money over the phone, no problems.
Old 05-08-02, 12:24 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by succubiss
They pricematch with themselves if their price goes down after you buy it. I'm not sure how soon you have to call it in, but I bought a cable modem which dropped $10, and they refunded me the money over the phone, no problems.
Within 30 days.
Old 05-08-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Gilo
Price matching ?

If you mean that Amazon looks for the highest online price on a dvd and add a few dollars to create its price then YES .

I wonder how much longer will they be able to pull this off , since their prices are constantly on the higher range of any price search I've done lately .

My guess is that the whole things will go down if this continue , I'd be sorry to see this but think something good will come out of this ..

When it will happen someone will take over the Aamzon reputaion and hopefully will slim the whole company structure and website to the original books , movies and music with competetive prices .
Amazon is trying to build a "brand name" with some success. Many people buy from them for convenience without shopping around. Serious bargain shoppers, like those that visit this forum, may find that puzzling but the strategy seems to be working for Amazon.

Like others here, I use Amazon because I have a lot of Nextcard GC credit. But sometimes it hurts when I am paying a lot more than I would elsewhere even though my purchases are "free". Since I can get most DVDs for $9 from Columbia House I only buy the ones that CH doesn't carry from Amazon (example: Sharpe's Rifles series). Much of my GC credit goes for books that I donate to the local library.
Old 05-09-02, 12:17 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, I just found out amazon does price match...but only within the Tool and Hareware department. The PM (Lowest Price Guarentee) policy is ridiculous: PM must be requested before purchase. Item must be in stock at the competitor. No online competitor unless it has B&M presence. No GC can be used with PM...
Old 05-09-02, 08:26 AM

Lizard , I'm very aware of Amazons CS and level of service and site since I used them alot but ..

The fact is Amazon still loosing a lot of money because it branched to many areas , in order to cover its losses from they raise price from profitable stores like books .

I'm sure that if they would stick only to a few major areas like books , dvd and music their prices would be much more competetive .

Also as an international user I'm asked to pay outrageous shipping costs for books ( 5$ per book no matter how small ) this is one of the reasons I don't buy books there anymore and I used to spend many dollars at amazon each month on books only , other stores manage to keep high level of service with better prices on both items and shipping ( see DDD , bud plant etc. ) .

Now I only get to buy at Amazon with GC like you ( and its very nice of you to donate books )
Old 05-09-02, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by LBPound
Not in the least bit. The only real appeal to using them, now that their prices are in the range of 25% off to full retail is using gift certificates or the Amazon NextCard.

No price matches at all.
I agree! And you can share the love as well.
Old 05-15-02, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by LBPound

No price matches at all.

I agree........I only use Amazon in the following ways:

1) Sending a book as a gift.

2) Using my Nextcard GC (I average $40-50 per month) In these cases I often go a little over, but not by much.

3) To buy a title I can't get at DDD or BB at a better price.

BTW: It's really too bad DDD doesn't carry as many titles as Amazon
Old 05-16-02, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
I only use Amazon for books. 30% discount and free shipping on $99+ orders makes for some great deals on books.