Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Ironies of "Self Serve Checkouts"

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Went into Meijer's over the weekend to check out their DVD selection, as I hadn't been in there in a long time. They had all the DVDs locked behind glass (except for a few cheap ones) ala K-Mart's former style. There was a red phone on the case that you were to pick up and call for assistance if you wanted anything. I passed, since they obviously didn't want me to look at their merchandise.

I did pick up a few groceries however. When I went to check out, the "supervisor" tried to urge me to go to the self service checkout station. "Sir, you have just a few items, why don't you try our self checkout?" I looked at her kind of funny and replied, "I have to have special assistance just to look at your DVDs. You don't trust me to pick one up, read it and put it back without employee supervision. Yet you are encouraging me to check myself out?" She just looked at me dumbfounded.

Old 05-07-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Ironies of "Self Serve Checkouts"

Originally posted by Abob Teff
Went into Meijer's over the weekend to check out their DVD selection
#1 problem right there.
Old 05-07-02, 03:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Ironies of "Self Serve Checkouts"

Originally posted by Abob Teff
"I have to have special assistance just to look at your DVDs. You don't trust me to pick one up, read it and put it back without employee supervision. Yet you are encouraging me to check myself out?"
I love it!
Old 05-08-02, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

You did use the self-checkout, though, right? I would assume it is faster than waiting in a line...
Old 05-08-02, 09:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Abob Teff,

Good for you! That was the perfect response to her request. Though I’ve used the self checkout at a grocery store and Kmart, I plan to never do so again. I just know people are going to get laid off everywhere if these things succeed. Plus, why the hell should I check myself out? If these stores want my dollar, they have to work for it. Now if they want to pay me to check myself out, I’d be happy to oblige.
Old 05-08-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by lumberjack
Abob Teff,

Good for you! That was the perfect response to her request. Though I’ve used the self checkout at a grocery store and Kmart, I plan to never do so again. I just know people are going to get laid off everywhere if these things succeed. Plus, why the hell should I check myself out? If these stores want my dollar, they have to work for it. Now if they want to pay me to check myself out, I’d be happy to oblige.
Agreed Lumberjack. When they offer me a discount for using it, then I will consider it. Does anybody remember the story a few years back about the bank charging its customers to talk to a live teller rather than use the ATMs?
Old 05-08-02, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by shaun3000

You did use the self-checkout, though, right? I would assume it is faster than waiting in a line...
I tried using one once. By the time I screwed it up and they had to come do it anyway, it was not faster.
Old 05-08-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority, I always use the self-checkouts at the grocery store. It's much faster, simple to use and I can bag my groceries the way I want them bagged. Of course, I was a cashier at a grocery store for many years in HS and college, so I guess I have experience.

I can also understand them keeping the DVDs locked up. It's not like there's a bunch of shoplifters looking to purloin cans of baked beans to sell on eBay. I guess their options are lock the DVDs up or install the same security scanners like they have at the exits in Best Buy, Circuit City and most mall stores. But grocery stores generate so much more traffic than those stores, there's almost a constant flow of people coming in and out of the doors. The stores here also keep the cigarettes locked up, but I believe that's required by law to prevent minors from getting them.
Old 05-09-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meijer has a few DVDs, but they are always overpriced. The only time I have bought a DVD from them was when I didn't feel like going to Best Buy or Circuit City (yes, I know that they are both less than a mile up the road), so I would pricematch their ad at Meijer.

As for the self checkout lines, I find myself in Meijer quite a bit to buy just a few items. Thus, the self checkout lines (if I am paying with cash or a credit card) to be very convenient, though they are more of a hassle if you are writing with a check.

They started locking up their DVDs probably 6 months ago. I haven't browsed their DVDs since then, of course, and I can only imagine that their DVD sales have plummeted.
Old 05-09-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quite some time ago, they had the Black Hole for $9.99. I figured it was a price drop across the board and passed on it. (Kicking self in butt now.) Really I don't shop there a whole lot . . . like any other store, they can have good sales, but everyday is nothing special. (Kicking self in butt for passing up the Planet of the Apes misprice a few months ago too.)

As for locking up the DVDs, yes, that eliminates some theft problems. But it also eliminates many customers too. I will not buy from such a display. It is very anti-customer. You cannot even see the prices. Walmart used to do this, but quickly got away from it when they realized that it is consumer antagonistic. K-Mart held on to it for awhile (still do in some areas), but then when did anybody ever accuse them of being pro-customer? As long as Meijers does this, I won't be back.

Old 05-09-02, 11:17 AM

slightly off topic re: banks

Does anybody remember the story a few years back about the bank charging its customers to talk to a live teller rather than use the ATMs?
Story? Dude, that's exactly the way my bank account works. If I use the teller more than 3 times a month for any type of transaction, I get charged a few bucks. This is the price I pay for unlimited checkwriting and a low min. balance requirement. They also have other types of accounts with lots of incentives for not using the teller at all (and will charge you if you do, I believe). The bank is PNC, for those curious. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

As far as the self-checkout goes, I'd rather check myself out and get out of wherever I am faster, I don't see it as any sort of big hassle. The only problem is when the usual morons who need someone to do things for them try to use the self-checkouts and take longer than a live cashier would!
Old 05-10-02, 08:52 AM
Cool New Member

When they offer me a discount for using it, then I will consider it.
The self-checkers in the Giant Eagles here do that in a way. They double coupons that say "DO NOT DOUBLE" because it takes a manual key to prevent coupons from being doubled.

Also if you like Dr. Pepper and have one of the coupons off the bottle, you can get paid for shopping.

Dr. Pepper on sale this week for 69 cents, coupon for 55 cents. Self-checker doubles it, and the store pays you 41 cents. I buy a few other things so that it doesn't try to go below 0. The other day I bought a 128oz HiC fruit punch and 2 2-liters of Dr. Pepper for $1.42 I think. Even on sale the HiC was $2 by itself.

-jarrod

Last edited by ajbowling; 05-10-02 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-10-02, 01:51 PM

Perfect response.

Also, First Chicago (now BankOne) was the bank that first started getting headlines for charging for counter visits. You get a few free per month and then they charge you. I'm used to it now.
Old 05-10-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: slightly off topic re: banks

Originally posted by tderosa98
The only problem is when the usual morons who need someone to do things for them try to use the self-checkouts and take longer than a live cashier would!
Hey now! So you see, I am doing us both a favor by avoiding these things.

You guys need to change banks! Of course, chosing a bank is like voting anymore -- the eviler of two lessers.

Old 05-10-02, 09:22 PM

Sorry Abob, I certainly didn't mean you when I was talking about the usuals. Your reasons for avoiding the lines are perfectly legit.

In any case, I think it's about time DVDTalk members unite and form our own bank, one that floats lots of low interest loans for bulk DVD purchasing, offers check/credit cards that earn you Amazon GCs for using them, and doesn't EVER cancel your online orders!
Old 05-11-02, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by tderosa98
Sorry Abob, I certainly didn't mean you when I was talking about the usuals. Your reasons for avoiding the lines are perfectly legit.

In any case, I think it's about time DVDTalk members unite and form our own bank, one that floats lots of low interest loans for bulk DVD purchasing, offers check/credit cards that earn you Amazon GCs for using them, and doesn't EVER cancel your online orders!
Seriously, that idiot holding up the line is me! I admit it!

I like your bank idea!

Old 05-16-02, 12:12 AM

I agree with you. Locking up the dvds, I just noticed this 2-3

days ago as I hardly ever look for dvd's at meijer, though be it a

way to stop theft, it also causes me not to want to buy dvd's

from them. An exsample of this just the other day when I first

noticed these new dvd-lock-up-cases another customer with their

child were looking at the dvd's, then went the nearest

employee, at the photo place, and asked about getting a dvd,

the employee told them that they would need to use the phone

next to the case to get the dvd they wanted out of the case.

Customer uses phone, after a few minutes no one comes the

customer is starting to discouraged. That is when I left, the

customer probably waited maybe 5+ before leaving, I know I

would.
Old 05-16-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was at Meijer a couple of nights ago and noticed they now have a big "DVD Video" sign hanging down from the ceiling over the DVD department.

Obviously their sales have really fallen off and they are hoping that a large sign will help things. I am not sure what their next move will be.