Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

How much does a record player usually cost?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see a lot of the tracks I want on records and was just wondering how much they cost? Is it really that much better than the CD? Can I buy this record player used somewhere?
Old 05-01-02, 06:15 PM

The industry standard for turntables is the Technics 1200. It'll cost, on average, around $400 not including a stylus. This is what I'd highly recommend if you are doing any kind of mixing. If you aren't as serious about dj'ing with your decks, and strictly just want to listen to vinyl, then there are many other cheaper alternatives. If you are into dance music, then I'd highly recommend a decent deck or two since most of the music is ONLY on vinyl, or at least way ahead of cd. Perhaps I could help you further if you tell us what your long-term intent is with the table.
As far as your other question, yeah, vinyl really is that good. A new piece of wax sounds so incredible compared to cd.
Jon
Old 05-01-02, 06:36 PM

I agree with SubZero. Technics are the way to go. I have 2 Technics 1200MK3D's, and they are VERY nice. I actually can't play on any other turntable because no other compares (in my opinion). It would help to know what type of usage you are expecting to get out of it. Then I or anyone else could better describe what might work the best.

/ modiman.
Old 05-02-02, 10:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
The Tech 1200 is a wonderful player.

The main reason to get a record player is so that you can play Stairway to Heaven backwards and hear what it's really about.
Old 05-02-02, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Geofferson
The main reason to get a record player is so that you can play Stairway to Heaven backwards and hear what it's really about.
Someone may correct me on the model, but I'm fairly certain that it's the Vestax TT series of decks that will actually play records backwards. Not the most important feature by far, but hey, it is one thing that the Techs can't do!
Jon
Old 05-02-02, 07:30 PM

Actually the Techs can do that. There is a third party add on that can be installed on the Techs to make it play backwards. The name has skipped my mind at the time, but I will post back later if you want to know it.

This isn't what I was looking for but it does the job click here.

There was another product that I was actually going to get but never got around to it. The name skipped my mind for some reason. It differs then the product above because it is installed by drilling a hole kinda near the light. It looks kinda similar to the on/off switch but it is smaller.

/ modiman.

Last edited by modiman; 05-02-02 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-02-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still play mine on a Fisher Price record player I got back in the 80s when I was about 4 years old. heh
Old 05-03-02, 07:05 PM

Technics 1200s are the standard as far as djing goes.
but if you are looking for the super home listening experience
there are better choices to be made. Though I doubt
you'd want to spend over $300 for one.

--kev