Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Which e-retailers ship early?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-02, 07:44 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a DVD and a CD this week online. Now, I'd get a better deal (slightly) at a local store...but I've heard that many e-retailers ship early. Which one's have often shipped early? I'm not talking about super early....just maybe the friday or saturday before.

edit:
Also, are my chances increased if I buy two day shipping?

Last edited by Sydney; 04-29-02 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-29-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm I don't know. I've heard of places shipping early, but it has only happened to me once. I bought Evil Dead BOTD from DDD and I got it about 3 weeks early. You might check and see if anyone else has received the same movie/cd that you have early, then try wherever they did ehe. That's what I did.
Old 04-29-02, 08:26 PM
Cool New Member

I'm thinking Amazon? Has anyone heard anything about them?
Old 04-29-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sydney
I'm thinking Amazon? Has anyone heard anything about them?
Except in very rare cases, Amazon ships out the day before release date at the earliest...
Old 04-29-02, 09:53 PM

Circuit City (via circuitcity.com) shipped my Akira tin about a week early. But they're usually pricey.
Old 04-29-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazon blows at getting stuff to you on release date. From my few orders with them of late, you're lucky to get it the week of release, and if so, it will be near the end of the week.
Old 04-29-02, 10:05 PM
smj

I preordered from DVDEmpire and chose their reasonably priced media mail shipping option and received it the day before it was available in stores. Not sure if this happens in every instance though.
Old 04-30-02, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered the Sex and the City boxed set from CDNOW last year and it came to me on the Friday before the release date. It was a surprise since I didn't chose any enhanced shipping.

I've heard as of late though, they have not been too good with orders.
Old 04-30-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In my experience, DVDEmpire always ships the Friday before the release date, and since I have my orders sent Priority, I always get them on Monday.

DDD and DVDPlanet seem to ship early as well, but I prefer buying from DVDEmpire.

Rob
Old 04-30-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I buy exclusively from DDD, and they usually ship new releases a week early. Of course, the problem is that Media Mail takes a week to get here, so I usually get them on release day, give or take a day. I wonder if they would still ship early if I upgraded to Priority Mail, then I should definitely get them early.
Old 04-30-02, 11:41 AM

Amazon normally ships on street date or in rare instances the day before. You won't get your DVD before the end of the week (unless you're willing to pay for overnight delivery).

Empire always ships on the Friday before street. If you select Media Mail, it depends on your location whether you get your package on street date or not (it works for me...). If you select Priority Mail it should always work. Monday or Tuesday, depending on the USPS commitment for your location. I think folks on the west coast will get it on Tuesday.

DDD even ships a week before street if you select Priority. But watch it! Sometimes they use UPS for their "Priority" shipping (mostly for box sets or other heavier shipments) so you'll be waiting until street day nonetheless.
Old 05-01-02, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered Friends 1st Season from Amazon, they still haven't shipped it, it's the day after the release date.
Old 05-02-02, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i've been using my amazon nextcard GCs for pre-orders because they're usually halfway decent prices, but over the past year amazon has gotten later and later at shipping pre-orders... to the point that i almost never get them within a week of the release date
Old 05-02-02, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon still hasn't shipped my order. I'm starting to wonder if GC orders get "prioritized" - that is, sent out after they're done delivering everything else for the week!
Old 05-02-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I usually get my preorders from buy.com on the Friday or Saturday before Tuesday release.
Old 05-02-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just got a shipping notice from DDD for Ocean's 11. Hard to tell exactly what day it went out. Looks like either Tuesday or Wednesday, but at least it's on the way. I should get it within a day of release date, which is fine by me.
Old 05-03-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ehonauer
I ordered Friends 1st Season from Amazon, they still haven't shipped it, it's the day after the release date.
Same thing happened to me. I emailed them and complained and they upgraded me to next day shipping. It shipped yesterday and is on its way to my house right now.

I found this weird though, because with all my order Amazon orders they have always shipped them on Friday, Saturday, or Monday. Always before the release date.
Old 05-03-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I preorder box sets from Playcentric and regular movies from DDD and I have always received them the Saturday before the release date. I go with air shipping at playcentric and I don't think DDD lets you upgrade to priority anymore on preorders (at least they wouldn't let me do that with Jerry Maguire and I got that one the Friday before).
Old 05-03-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
X FILES SEASON 5 (street date May 14th) arrived TODAY from NorthAmerican DVD - this was my first order from them, so don't know if they regularly ship this early.
Old 05-20-02, 08:07 PM

I received sex and the city 3 today, a day before street release from Northamericandvd.com. Toronto to California shipping...not too bad.
Old 05-21-02, 06:06 AM

DVD IMPORT

from canada to france 5 working days ! without Customs
Old 05-25-02, 09:34 AM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

cdnow ship my stuff about 3 days before the release date.
Old 05-27-02, 08:48 PM
Banned

Amazon once shipped "Josie and the Pussycats" two weeks early to me. Other than one time , I usually get my stuff from them on street date(depending if I find it at a B&M and cancell the item(s) or order before it ships.