Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Trey Anastasio (New Album)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-02, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Trey's website is finally live (www.treyanastasio.com), and the disc comes out on 4/30. You can listen to the entire disc right now on the site through streaming audio. I like it a lot. Heard about 6 songs, and it reminds me a lot of Farmhouse...mainly shorter, accessible songs. It sounds like it could reach people who weren't really into Phish as well as us fans.
Old 04-29-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't listened to any of it yet but the word I'm hearing is pretty much what you said... Poppy and mainstream... Which is OK, Trey writes some nice melodic pop tunes...
Old 05-01-02, 12:22 AM

^bump^

Did anyone else pick this disc up? I think it's damned good. Really creative pop songs...head and shoulders above the Oysterhead album (most disappointing album of 2001 in my opinion).
Old 05-01-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Snagged it last night but I've only listened to about 1/2 of it... Didn't care for Alive Again AT ALL and Cayman Review is just so-so... Push On Til The Day drifts waaaaaaaaay too much into that tired Phish build build build release groove... I did like the next four tracks however, they're quite good... I'll listen to the rest this evening...

It's a better disc, from what I've heard, than the Oysterhead release but there were several very solid tracks on that disc. Copeland's drum parts in particular were nice... Good to hear him playing straight up rock again. I take it you were never a Primus (or Les Claypool) fan?
Old 05-01-02, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Snagged it last night but I've only listened to about 1/2 of it... Didn't care for Alive Again AT ALL and Cayman Review is just so-so... Push On Til The Day drifts waaaaaaaaay too much into that tired Phish build build build release groove... I did like the next four tracks however, they're quite good... I'll listen to the rest this evening...

It's a better disc, from what I've heard, than the Oysterhead release but there were several very solid tracks on that disc. Copeland's drum parts in particular were nice... Good to hear him playing straight up rock again. I take it you were never a Primus (or Les Claypool) fan?
I would agree with most of what you said. "Alive Again" is pretty tired...not sure why it was the first single. "Push on Til the Day" sounds exactly like a Phish song...much more so than from Trey's live shows. I like it though, perhaps only for familiarity's sake. I really like most of the tracks though, particularly "Flock of Words", "Money Love & Change", and "Mr. Completely."

Copeland's drum parts were the best thing about the Oysterhead album. I give all 3 credit for taking a chance though. I don't hate Primus...in fact, I kinda like 'em. Also I've got Live Frogs Vol. 1 and really like that. I find Les' personality to be way more annoying on Oysterhead than on anything by Primus or the Frog Brigade. It wasn't even that I was upset that Trey didn't play a larger role...the album just gets extremely irritating to me after 2 or 3 songs.
Old 05-01-02, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Gdrlv

I would agree with most of what you said. "Alive Again" is pretty tired...not sure why it was the first single. "Push on Til the Day" sounds exactly like a Phish song...much more so than from Trey's live shows. I like it though, perhaps only for familiarity's sake. I really like most of the tracks though, particularly "Flock of Words", "Money Love & Change", and "Mr. Completely."
Interesting comments so far. Personally I really like Alive Again, Cayman Review and Push On. I'll have to listen to Push On again, I never considered it to sound like a Phish song.

I don't really care much for Night Speaks to a Woman though. I'm not sure why, maybe it's the lyrics. There's also some weird production on Money Love & Change, but other than that I think it's a good album. I know it's got me excited for the tour.
Old 05-01-02, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by larryw

Personally I really like Alive Again, Cayman Review and Push On. I'll have to listen to Push On again, I never considered it to sound like a Phish song.
Gotta admit that I like "Alive Again" better now than the first time I heard it... A friend of mine who doesn't care much for Phish at all told me that "Alive Again" is one of his favorite songs that he's heard recently and was really psyched for Trey's album because of it. Gotta find out if he likes it or not. I never considered "Push On..." to sound like a Phish song either from the live versions, but the version on the disc is very Phishy. Still like it though.